- 1. Compress Video/Audio in Different Formats+
- 1.1 Compress MP4 on Winodws & Mac
- 1.2 Reduce Size of MP4
- 1.3 Resize MP4 Videos Online
- 1.4 Compress MP4 Online
- 1.5 Free MP4 Compressors
- 1.6 Compress FLV
- 1.7 Compress MKV
- 1.8 Compress MOV
- 1.9 Compress MOV Online
- 1.10 Compress WMV
- 1.11 Comrpess M4V
- 1.12 Compress MPEG/3GP
- 1.13 Compress H264 File
- 1.14 Compress AVI File
- 1.15 Reduce Size of MKV
- 1.16 Top 5 WebM Compressors
- 1.17 Compress WAV Free Online
- 1.18 FLAC Compression Software
- 1.19 Top 5 Online MP3 Size Reducers
- 1.20 Compress M4A Files Free Online
- 2. Compress Video from Devices/Apps +
- 2.1 Compress iPhone Video
- 2.2 Compress Camcorder Video
- 2.3 Compress GoPro Video
- 2.4 Compress QuickTime Video
- 2.5 Compress Fraps Video
- 2.6 Top 12 File Compressor for Android
- 2.7 MMS Video Size Limit for iPhone/Android
- 2.8 Shorten Videos on iPhone
- 2.9 10 Video Compressor App Android/iPhone
- 2.10 Top 8 Video Size Reducers for Android
- 3. Compress Video with Different Apps +
- 3.1 Resize Video in iMovie
- 3.2 Make VLC Resize Video
- 3.3 Make Windows Movie Maker Resize Video
- 3.4 Different Apps to Compress Video
- 3.5 Compress Videos with Windows Media Player Alternatives
- 3.6 Use FFmpeg to Resize Video
- 3.7 Apple Compressor 4 Alternative
- 3.8 Top 6 Clipchamp Alternatives
- 3.9 Top 7 Video Cutter and Compressor
- 3.10 HandBrake Video Compressor Alternative
- 4. Compress Video for Different Purposes +
- 4.1 Compress Video for Email
- 4.2 Compress Video for Web
- 4.3 Compress Video for YouTube
- 4.4 Compress Video for Vimeo
- 4.5 Compress Video for Facebook, Instagram
- 4.6 Twitter Video Compression
- 4.7 Resize Facebook Video Size
- 4.8 Resize Instagram Video Size
- 4.9 Compress YouTube Video Size
- 4.10 Compress Video for DVD
- 4.11 Send Large Files via Email
- 4.12 Compress Files for WhatsApp
- 4.13 Send Long Videos on WhatsApp
- 5. Other Tips & Tricks +
- 5.1 Full Guide to Compress Video
- 5.2 Free Video Compressors
- 5.3 Top 13 Video Compressors
- 5.4 Top 10 Video Compressor for Mac
- 5.5 Top Audio Compressors
- 5.6 Top 8 Audio Compressor Free Online
- 5.7 Compress Files to Small Size
- 5.8 Compress HD/FHD (4K/1080P) Videos
- 5.9 Compress A Video
- 5.10 Compressed Video Formats
- 5.11 Top 8 Compression Software 2019
- 5.12 Top 9 File Compressors
- 5.13 How to Make A File Smaller
- 5.14 How to Make Video Smaller
- 5.15 Lossless Compression
- 5.16 Top 10 Ways to Reduce Video Size
- 5.17 Compress Files & Folders
- 5.18 Compress Folder Online and Free
- 5.19 Top 6 Online Size Converters
- 5.20 Top 10 Ways to Send Large Videos
- 5.21 Top 5 Video Resizer
- 5.22 Top 6 File Size Reducer
- 5.23 Shorten a Video Online and Free
- 5.24 Change MP4/MP3 Bitrate
- 5.25 11 Ways to Compress Videos Free Online
- DVD Users
- Social Media Users
- Camera Users
- Creative Design
- Movie Users
- Travelling Fans
- Educational Users
- More Solutions
Top 10 Ways to Reduce Video Size Without Losing Quality
Transferring and sharing large size videos over the Internet, mail, and other sources become difficult. In such situations, you need to reduce video size via some easy ways or professional tools. To decrease video size, you can change different parameters of the file like video resolution, video bit rate, video codec, frame rate, and cutting unwanted parts. In the following parts of the topic, the top 10 methods to reduce video size online and free will be introduced for your reference.
Top 10 Ways to Reduce Video Size Without Losing Quality
Find more video ideas from Wondershare Video Community.
- Part 1. What Affects Video File Size
- Part 2. Best Way to Reduce Video Size without Losing Quality
- Part 3. 3 Way on How to Reduce Video Size Online
- Part 4. Other 6 Free Ways to Reduce Video Size
Part 1. What Affects Video File Size
Before reducing the video size, it is important to know the factors that define whether the video is larger or small. There are many variables on which the size of the video depends on resolution, bitrate, video length, frame rate, encoding, and more. Some of the major ones are discussed below.
1. Resolution: It is measured by the pixels of the video and one of the main file size deciding factor. The higher the resolution, the higher will be the file size, and the better will be the quality.
2. Bitrate: A bitrate is generally measured in Mpbs and kbps, and it defines the measurement of the information that is transmitted in a second. If the bitrate is higher, more information needs to be transmitted, and thus the file size will be larger. Whether the bitrate is constant or variable also plays a major role in deciding the file size.
3. Video length: A longer video will have a larger size in comparison to a short video.
4. Frame Rate: Reducing the frame rate reduces the file size proportionally. Generally, a video is recorded in 30fps (frames per second) and so if the frame rate is reduced to half, the file size will also be reduced. The size also depends on the progressive or interlaced frames.
Additionally, audio sample rate, rendering quality, buffer size, and other similar factors also play a role in deciding the video file size.
Part 2. Best Way to Reduce Video Size without Losing Quality
Video compression without quality loss can be achieved only using professional software, and here we recommend Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) as the best in the category. This feature-packed video-toolbox supports over 1000 formats and allows reducing the size of video files without any quality loss easily and quickly. It will enable you to choose the video resolution, bit rate, size, and format of the video so that you can reduce video size as your needs. The Preview functions facilitate to see the changes that will be made to the file, which helps you compress videos better on Windows/Mac.
Reduce video size by changing the bit rate, video resolution, formats, quality, and other parameters.
Compress and convert videos in 1000+ formats without losing any quality.
Edit videos with cropping, trimming, rotating, adding watermarks, applying effects, etc.
90X fast-compressing speed.
Supports batch processing to compress and convert multiple videos at a time.
Download YouTube videos and playlists easily by pasting URLs.
Transfer compressed videos from PC/Mac to iPhone/Android devices via a USB cable.
Best video converter for Apple TV, Samsung TV, LG TV, Sony TV, etc.
Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, macOS 11 Big Sur, 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7
Steps on how to reduce video size using Wondershare UniConverter:
Step 1 Open Wondershare Video Size Converter and add videos.
Launch Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) on your PC/Mac and click on the Video Compressor tab that will open a new pop-up window. Click on the + sign from the new window to browse and load video from your computer. Multiple files at a time can be added.
Step 2 Select compression settings to reduce video size.
The pop-up Compress video window will show the added file details. To reduce the size of the file, manually select quality, bitrate, and resolution as needed. You can even select an output format from the given options. To automatically change the file size, move the progress bar to change the compression percentage that will edit all the parameters accordingly.
Step 3 Preview and reduce video size.
Click on the Preview button if you want to check what changes will be made to the file. At the File Location tab, choose the file location to save the reduced video file. Finally, click on the Compress button to start reducing video size.
To learn how to reduce video size in batch, move to the Convert section and learn details on How to Compress Videos Before Batch Conversion >>
Part 3. 3 Way on How to Reduce Video Size Online
For a quick and straightforward process without any need for software download, you can reduce video size online. There is no shortage of online tools, but selecting only the best ones is important to get lossless quality files. Listed below are the best online programs for the purpose.
Online UniConverter is the best method to reduce video size online. The program works from the computer browser without any need for software download or registration. Almost all popular formats are supported, and the interface is quite simple and easy to use. Once the file is uploaded to the interface, you can change its resolution, size, and format if needed. The processed file can be downloaded from the interface to your PC or can be directly saved at Dropbox. Get your videos reduced to size to fit Facebook, Instagram, and other sites.
- It supports all popular formats.
- It has a simple interface.
- It facilitates video conversion to an array of formats.
- Network dependency.
- It has limited file size support.
VideoSmaller is another popular program to reduce video file size online. The tool supports popular formats with a maximum of 500MB file size. For achieving the best quality files, there is an option for using a low compression level. You can choose to keep the video width the same or scale it as well from the given options. A mute video by removing the audio part can also be created if needed. To ensure the safety of your video files, they are deleted automatically after a few hours.
- Allows removing audio from video.
- Supports to scale video.
- It allows uploading of video files up to 500MB.
- It has limited options to change file parameters.
Clipchamp is a popular tool to reduce video size online in a simple and quick process. The software supports basic formats for reducing size, including MP4, FLV, MKV, and others. There are 4 profiles available at the program as output video formats: Web, Mobile, Windows, and Animation that comes with apt preset settings to reduce file size without losing quality. There is an option to choose the quality and video resolution manually as well. Files can also be trimmed to remove unwanted parts. The reduced videos can be download to your PC or directly uploaded to Facebook, YouTube, and other sites.
- Customize settings and editing tools for video compression available.
- Many preset options for video resizing available.
- Dependent on the Internet.
- The processed videos come with a watermark.
- Account log-in needed for video compression.
Part 4. Other 6 Free Ways to Reduce Video Size
To help you choose the best tool to reduce video size without losing quality, listed below are a few more software options that are free to use.
- Wondershare Free Video Converter
- Any Video Converter
- Freemake Video Converter
- QuickTime Player
Wondershare Free Video Converter is decent desktop software that facilitates video compression in addition to an array of features. The program supports over 1000 formats and allows processing files with a watermark. The size of the added video files can be reduced by changing its resolution, bit rate, and other parameters. Once the program is downloaded and installed on your PC, the process of reducing file size is fast and simple. Windows and Mac version of the program is available.
- It supports a wide range of formats.
- Free to use.
- Processed files come with watermark images.
- There are limited features as compared to the premium version of the software.
VLC Media Player is an open-source multimedia player that additionally works as a video editor and resizing tool. Using this cross-platform player, videos from various sources, including DVD, VCD, and streaming sites, can be added to the interface. Using VLC, the video file size can be reduced through different means- by changing the format to a smaller size, changing the bit rate and the frame rate of the file, and cutting and cropping the unwanted part of the video.
- Facilitates video resizing by changing different file parameters.
- Free to use.
- Multiple platform support.
- There is limited input file support.
- There are limited features as compared to other programs.
Any Video Converter is a widely used desktop software available for Windows and Mac system that facilitates video resizing in addition to a number of other features like video conversion, editing, download, and ripping. The software supports over 100 input formats, and it ensures a lossless quality process at a fast speed. The added video files can be reduced in size through trimming, changing parameters like bit rate, codecs, frame rate, and others. The interface of the program is simple, which makes it easy to use for all types of users.
- There are no ads, no spyware, and no malware.
- It supports over 100 formats as input files.
- It supports a wide range of video-related features in addition to video reducing.
- Tries installing additional programs during the process of setup.
This free to use desktop software works with the Windows system to facilitate video resizing, video conversion, video download, and a host of other features as well. More than 500 formats are supported by the program for processing, including all popular ones like MP4, AVI, WMV, MKV, 3GP, and others. For reducing the size of the added videos, the program allows cutting and trimming the unwanted parts, reducing the size and changing the file parameters. In addition to local files, the software also supports adding files from online streaming sites.
- It supports an array of formats.
- Compatible with Windows versions including 10, 8, 8.1, 7, and Vista.
- No Mac version available.
- Slow file processing speed.
When it comes to the Mac system, QuickTime is the most preferred and default media player. Developed by Apple Inc, this multimedia framework supports an array of video formats, images, pictures, and other files. In addition to playing the media files, QuickTime player also works as a decent video editing tool with support for the feature to reduce size. Using the program, you can trim the unwanted parts of the video to reduce its size. Moreover, a number of preset formats with varied resolution and device supports are also available with the tool that facilitates changing the video size.
- Free and simple to use.
- Support local as well as online videos.
- There is limited control over file parameters to reduce file size.
- It can work with the Mac system.
HandBrake is a free to use open source video encoder tool that supports multi-platform including Windows, Mac, and Linux. Using the program, you can change the frame rate, quality, bit rate codec, and other parameters of the added file to reduce its size without losing quality. Almost all types of video formats, including DVD and Blu-ray, are supported by the program as input formats.
- Wide range format support as input formats.
- Multi-platform support.
- MP4 and MKV are the only supported output formats.
- Settings require trial and error method.
Myriad of options on how to reduce video size is discussed in the above parts of the article. Choose one which can meet all your requirements best and help you handle your video files.