- 1. Compress Video/Audio in Different Formats+
- 1.1 Compress MP4 on Winodws & Mac
- 1.2 Reduce Size of MP4
- 1.3 Resize MP4 Videos Online
- 1.4 Compress MP4 Online
- 1.5 Free MP4 Compressors
- 1.6 Compress FLV
- 1.7 Compress MKV
- 1.8 Compress MOV
- 1.9 Compress MOV Online
- 1.10 Compress WMV
- 1.11 Comrpess M4V
- 1.12 Compress MPEG/3GP
- 1.13 Compress H264 File
- 1.14 Compress AVI File
- 1.15 Reduce Size of MKV
- 1.16 Top 5 WebM Compressors
- 1.17 Compress WAV Free Online
- 1.18 FLAC Compression Software
- 1.19 Top 5 Online MP3 Size Reducers
- 1.20 Compress M4A Files Free Online
- 2. Compress Video from Devices/Apps +
- 2.1 Compress iPhone Video
- 2.2 Compress Camcorder Video
- 2.3 Compress GoPro Video
- 2.4 Compress QuickTime Video
- 2.5 Compress Fraps Video
- 2.6 Top 12 File Compressor for Android
- 2.7 MMS Video Size Limit for iPhone/Android
- 2.8 Shorten Videos on iPhone
- 2.9 10 Video Compressor App Android/iPhone
- 2.10 Top 8 Video Size Reducers for Android
- 3. Compress Video with Different Apps +
- 3.1 Resize Video in iMovie
- 3.2 Make VLC Resize Video
- 3.3 Make Windows Movie Maker Resize Video
- 3.4 Different Apps to Compress Video
- 3.5 Compress Videos with Windows Media Player Alternatives
- 3.6 Use FFmpeg to Resize Video
- 3.7 Apple Compressor 4 Alternative
- 3.8 Top 6 Clipchamp Alternatives
- 3.9 Top 7 Video Cutter and Compressor
- 3.10 HandBrake Video Compressor Alternative
- 4. Compress Video for Different Purposes +
- 4.1 Compress Video for Email
- 4.2 Compress Video for Web
- 4.3 Compress Video for YouTube
- 4.4 Compress Video for Vimeo
- 4.5 Compress Video for Facebook, Instagram
- 4.6 Twitter Video Compression
- 4.7 Resize Facebook Video Size
- 4.8 Resize Instagram Video Size
- 4.9 Compress YouTube Video Size
- 4.10 Compress Video for DVD
- 4.11 Send Large Files via Email
- 4.12 Compress Files for WhatsApp
- 4.13 Send Long Videos on WhatsApp
- 5. Other Tips & Tricks +
- 5.1 Full Guide to Compress Video
- 5.2 Free Video Compressors
- 5.3 Top 7 Video Compressors
- 5.4 Top 10 Video Compressor for Mac
- 5.5 Top Audio Compressors
- 5.6 Top 8 Audio Compressor Free Online
- 5.7 Compress Files to Small Size
- 5.8 Compress HD/FHD (4K/1080P) Videos
- 5.9 Compress A Video
- 5.10 Compressed Video Formats
- 5.11 Top 8 Compression Software 2019
- 5.12 Top 9 File Compressors
- 5.13 How to Make A File Smaller
- 5.14 How to Make Video Smaller
- 5.15 Lossless Compression
- 5.16 Top 10 Ways to Reduce Video Size
- 5.17 Compress Files & Folders
- 5.18 Compress Folder Online and Free
- 5.19 Top 6 Online Size Converters
- 5.20 Top 10 Ways to Send Large Videos
- 5.21 Top 5 Video Resizer
- 5.22 Top 6 File Size Reducer
- 5.23 Shorten a Video Online and Free
- 5.24 Change MP4/MP3 Bitrate
- 5.25 11 Ways to Compress Videos Free Online
Top 6 Online Free Ways on How to Compress A Video Without Losing Quality
If you are a movie buff, you definitely know the research, time and patience that are needed to create a collection of your favorite videos over the years. So now when you have a huge collection of videos that surpasses your PC storage, what do you do? Delete some old favorites to accommodate a few new ones, but this is only a temporary solution. Do not fret as you can compress video size and keep the old and add the new ones as well.
Video compression also becomes necessary when you want to upload your video to a site where there is a limitation to the size that can be uploaded. Moreover, compressed videos consume less Internet data while uploading and the overall process is quick. Considering the above benefits, reducing the file size seems to be of utmost importance. Looking for ways on how to compress a video, like compressing MP4, compressing MOV, etc.? We have best video compression solutions listed in the below part of the article.
- Part 1. How to Compress Video Files Without Losing Quality on Windows/Mac
- Part 2. Top 6 Free Video Compressor to Compress Video Online
- Part 3. A Comparison Table for You to Select the Proper Video Compressor
- Part 4. Extended Knowledge About Video Compression
Before learning online video compression tools, we want to recommend you the best alternative to you as the online tools have their limitations on file size, quality loss, network situation, and more others. Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate is what we recommend most to compress video files. It's an all-in-one video tool which can reduce video size by converting video format, changing resolution, setting bit rate, and other customized features. You can use it to compress your MP4/MOV/AVI/MP3 and other video/audio files with super fast speed and full quality output. Compatible with both Windows and Mac system, you can also achieve its additional functions such as video download, DVD burning, video transfer, etc.
Your Complete Video Toolbox with Video Compressor
- Reduce video size without losing any quality on Windows and Mac system.
- Compress videos by changing its parameters like size, resolution, frame rate, bit rate, and format.
- Edit videos before compressing with cropping, trimming, rotating, adding watermarks, applying effects, etc.
- Facilitates batch converting and compressing of multiple files at a time.
- The APEXTRANS technology makes it 30 times faster than any other software.
- Download YouTube videos and playlist by pasting URLs easily.
- Support file compression that best suits specific devices like iPhone, Apple TV, XBOX, PSP, and others.
- Versatile toolbox includes fixing video metadata, GIF maker, casting video to TV, video transfer, and screen recorder.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/2003/XP/Vista, Mac OS X 10.14 (Mojave), 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
2 Methods to Compress Videos Without Losing Quality Using Wondershare Video Compressor
Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate provides you 2 different methods to compress videos, if you need batch compression and conversion, you can choose Method 1, which also provides audio files compression. And select Method 2 if you want to compress video one-by-one with easier steps. Both methods will reduce your video size with super fast speed and high-quality output.
Method 1: How to Compress Videos in Batch with the Best Video Compressor:
Watch Tutorial Video to Compress Video in Batch Using Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
Step 1 Launch the video compressor and add video files.
Install and launch the Wondershare video compressor on your PC/Mac. On the primary interface, page click +Add Files to add the video files that you want to compress, they can be in different formats. Alternatively, you can just directly drag and drop your videos to the compression software.
Step 2 Open video Settings window.
On the right-hand size of the interface, click drop down icon next to Convert all files to and select desired output format and resolution under the Video tab. Click editing icon beside selected resolution to open the Settings window.
Alternatively, you can also click +Create Custom to open the Settings window.
Step 3 Customize Settings to reduce video size.
From the pop-up Settings window, set the default Custom tab to Small Size and this will automatically reduce the bit rate of the file. You are also optional to change the resolution, bit rate, frame rate, codec manually to shrink the file size if you need. Once Settings are done, click Create to finish creating the new format, and then select the newly-built format.
Step 4 Start video compression.
After you have set and selected the output format, the size of the videos can be previewed on the main interface. Finally, click Convert All to start the compression process for all the videos soon.
Once the compression is complete, the files can be managed from the Converted tab or just click the Output icon at the middle bottom of the Converting interface.
Method 2: How to Compress A Video Easily and Quickly
Step 1 Launch Video Compress Function and Add A Video
Open Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate on your PC/Mac and switch to the Toolbox section. Select Video Compress option from the listed functions. After that, a new window will open, click the + icon on it to select a video you want to compress size.
Step 2 Customize Video Compression Settings Easily
You'll find your video on the opened compress video window, and the video details will be displayed on the first section. Move the progress bar to change all parameters accordingly to compress the video size or change separately. You're allowed to preview the compressed video for 20s by clicking the Preview button. Finally, click the Compress button to downsize the video.
With this method, you can compress a video easily and quickly. If you are looking for more details about this method, read the step guide on how to compress video to reduce video size.
There is no dearth of free video compression software when you are looking for ways on how to compress video files. Among all the available options, free video compressor online is best for users who need to reduce video size for a few numbers of files occasionally. These free online video compressors are quite decent with respect to their interface, features, and speed. Top 6 tools to compress video online are listed below for your reference.
Media.io is the best free and online video tool to compress video online. It allows you to compress videos by changing video resolution, converting video format, and customizing video size. This online video compressor supports many common video formats such as MP4, MOV, AVI, MKV, WMV, etc. You can also use it to convert audio formats online and free. Media.io is a totally free online tool without any ads or watermark, you never need to worry about the safety of this site.
- Support most common video formats to compress and convert easily.
- Customize video resolution and size as you like.
- Totally free tool without ads and watermarks.
- Clear interface helps to compress video even with single click.
- Maximum 100MB of data split between up to 2 different files.
Steps on how to compress a video using Media.io:
Step 1: Copy and paste the URL https://www.media.io/video-compressor.html on your browser to enter the website.
Step 2: Click the + icon which says Drag & Drop or Hit to Add Video to import the video you want to compress.
Step 3: After the video have added, choosing video resolution, video size, and video format you want. Finally, tap on the Compress button to compress the video online so easy.
VideoSmaller is a free method to reduce video size online without compromising on its quality. The program allows reducing the size directly from the browser and supports an array of formats including MP4, AVI, MPEG, and MOV. After the compression task is completed, the files are automatically removed after a few hours.
- Support decent file format.
- Easy to use and understand interface.
- Maximum 500MB of files can be uploaded for compression.
How to compress a video using VideoSmaller:
Step 1: Open http://www.videosmaller.com/ on your PC browser.
Step 2: Click Browse and add desired video file from your PC.
Step 3: Select Video Width and click Upload Video button.
This is a popular online video size compressor that is used by a large number of people to compress large files to small size as it is free and comes packed with an array of features. There is no restriction on the size and number of files that can be uploaded to the program. The tool has a preset feature for reducing file size which is best for web, social media or online use. Manual settings for compression can also be made. Multiple file compression is supported for a quick process. The program supports the wide range of resolution and formats as input and supports multiple output video resolution and formats. Clipchamp also features in-built integration with YouTube, Vimeo, Google Drive and Facebook.
- No limitation on file size.
- Comes with preset options for The Web, online use, and social media.
- Features built-in integration with Facebook, Vimeo, and other platforms.
- Video is locally compressed on the browser.
- Users need to log in with their accounts to start the compression process.
- Limited output options.
- For one account, you can only compress 5 video files for free.
How to compress a video using Clipchamp:
Step 1: Open https://clipchamp.com/en/video-compressor on your PC browser.
Step 2: Click Convert Video File button and then login with your Google account, Facebook account or create one. Click Compress my video and add video(s) from your PC.
Step 3: Select preset settings or you can also do the manual ones. Click Start to initiate the process.
Once files are compressed you can either save them your system or can even upload or share on YouTube, Vimeo, Google Drive, or Facebook.
AConvert is a decent free online videos compression tool that allows shrinking your video by editing their bit rate, size, frame rate, and aspect ratio. The tool is free to use and has a simple interface. In addition to compression, it also supports converting your videos to an array of other video formats. Converted files can be saved on the local system, Google Drive or Dropbox.
- Simple interface.
- Support multiple file formats.
- File size limitation to 200MB.
Steps to compress video size online using AConvert:
Step 1: Open https://www.aconvert.com/video/ on PC browser.
Step 2: Click Choose file or URL to add the desired video file.
Step 3: Under Options tab, select change size, bit rate or frame rate from the drop down menu. Select settings for various parameters.
Step 4: Click Convert Now to start the process. The video file will be successfully compressed and can be downloaded.
This is a popularly used online tool that allows video file resizing without hampering the quality. The file compression can be done by editing aspect ratio, bit rate, resolution, and other parameters. All popular video file formats like MP4, OGG, WMV, MKV, FLV, AVI, and others are supported by the program. CloudConvert also allows processing multiple files at a time and can convert them to other file formats. In addition to the local system, compressed files can also be saved to the cloud like Dropbox, OneDrive, Google Drive, and box.
- Support multiple file formats.
- Allows saving compressed file to cloud.
- Support converting files to other formats.
- No video editing features.
Steps to reduce video file size online using Cloud Convert:
Step 1: Launch https://cloudconvert.com/ on PC browser.
Step 2: Click Select File and add the video files from PC, Dropbox, and other mentioned sources.
Step 3: Select Output format and click editing icon to open pop-up Conversion Options window. Make desired video settings and click Okay.
Step 4: Click Start Conversion to initiate the process. Once files are successfully reduced in size, they can be saved at the local system or cloud storage as desired.
Zamzar is a known name when it comes to video files conversion and compression. This online tool is free to use and has a simple interface. The program allows adding files up to 50MB and supports all popular file formats and video codecs. Device specific formats are also supported by Zamzar. You can add the local files from your PC or can also provide their link. Once compressed, the download link of the files is sent to the provided email address.
- Supports wide range of video formats and codecs.
- Simple interface.
- 50MB of file size limitation.
- Link for compressed file is sent through email.
How to compress a video using Zamzar:
Step 1: Open http://www.zamzar.com/ on your PC.
Step 2: Click Choose Files to browse and add video files from PC. You can also drag and drop the file or add their URL.
Step 3: Click drop down menu beside Convert files to: and select format that will lead to reduced video size.
Step 4: Enter email address and click Convert. The added video will be compressed and its link will be sent to mentioned email ID.
Below given is a comparison table between above listed 5 online compressors and Wondershare video compressor. The table will help you to decide the method that best suit your requirements.
|Software/Features||Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate||Media.io||VideoSmaller||Clipchamp||Aconvert||CloudConvert||Zamzar|
Paid software with free trial version
Free trial, paid version to use all functions.
|File Upload size limitation||No limitation||200MB||500MB||No limitation||200 MB||No limitation||50MB|
|Supported input formats||Support more than 1000 video/audio formats||Most popular video formats||MP4, AVI, MPEG, and MOV.||All popular formats including AVI, MOV, DIVX, FLV,3GP, MP4, WMV, VOB, MKV||All popular formats||All popular formats including MP4, OGG, WMV, MKV, FLV, AVI||All popular formats and codecs including MP4, AVI, FLV, MOV, and others|
|Quality after compression||Excellent lossless quality||Excellent||Good||Good||Good||Good||Good|
|Conversion Speed||30X faster than any other||Fast||Decent||Decent||Decent||Decent||Slow|
|Video Editing features||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Burn videos to DVD||Yes||No||No||No||No||No||No|
|Convert files to other formats||Yes||Yes||No||No||Yes||Yes||Yes|
To make your video file compression task easy read below to know the basics of video file size, factors affecting its size and related details.
1. What is Video Compression
The video compression definition simply refers to the process to reduce a video size by encoding the video. The video size can be affected by many parameters including video resolution, video format, codec, bit rate, and others. Types of video compression including lossless video compression and lossy video compression, the lossless compression always keeps a higher video quality after compressed while the lossy compression lowers the quality. Choose which method to compress videos according to your needs.
2. Importance of Video File Size
Talking in very general terms, a file format defines the structure in which file information is stored. When it comes to video files, they are generally large in size as they need large data to depict the video signal accurately. There are many different types of video file formats available, but all the files feature characteristics including – a container type, video signal, audio signal and a codec. Size of the video file is important as it determines the time and data needed for downloading as well as uploading. Moreover, many social networkings and video sharing sites have limitation to the size of the video that can be uploaded to their site. The video size also decides the amount of space it occupies on your PC storage. Larger the file size, larger the space needed.
3. Factors Affecting Video File Size
There are various factors that affect the size of a video file:
- Bit rate (data rate): Bit rate is the amount of data that is used by each video file and it is generally measured in kilo bits per second. The size of the bit rate is directly proportional to the video file size. Thus, higher the bit rate better is the video file quality.
- Frame rate: Frame rate is defined as the number of the frames per second and videos are generally recorded in 24 or 30 fps. The frame rate is directly proportional to the video file size, larger the frame rate, larger is the file size.
- Resolution: Another important aspect that decides the video file size is its resolution which is the size of the output video and measured in pixels. Higher the file resolution better is the video quality.
4. Benefits of Compressing Videos
Video file compression has become necessary owing to multiple reasons as enlisted below:
- Reduced file size occupies less space on your PC storage and thus creates an additional room to add more videos.
- Compressed files are easy and quick to share and transfer through mails.
- Smaller sized files can be easily and quickly uploaded to social networking and video sharing sites.
- Lot of video sites have restriction to the size of the file that can be uploaded and thus file compression becomes necessary.
- To make your favorite videos fit perfectly on the small screen of your smartphone or tablet, you need to compress its size as large size videos will not play properly.
5. Does Google Drive Compress Videos
Many people use Google Drive or other similar cloud service application to upload videos and photos to save space. But when they download on view them online, the video and photo quality seems not clear enough as original. Actually, Google Drive has a 15 GB storage for free, and it would not compress video quality if you choose keep your files original. But when you want to download your uploaded files again, the quality maybe affect by your devices such as mobile phones which don't have too much space to store the downloading files and will lose some quality. What's more, when you're viewing the uploaded files online, the quality will loss a bit and depend on the network situation.
Conclusion: After learning how to compress a video with so many methods, there are no more worries if you want to make video files smaller. The above topics will help you find the most appropriate way to shrink video file size. Download and free trail to compress video or audio files easily on your Windows/Mac.