- 1. Convert Other Format to MP4+
- 1.1 Convert MOV to MP4
- 1.2 Convert FLV to MP4
- 1.3 Convert AVCHD to MP4
- 1.4 Convert AVCHD to MP4 on Mac
- 1.5 Convert WMV to MP4
- 1.6 Convert DVD to MP4
- 1.7 Convert URL to MP4
- 1.8 Convert OGG to MP4
- 1.9 Convert M4V to MP4
- 1.10 Convert VOB to MP4
- 1.11 Convert VHS to MP4
- 1.12 Convert MTS to MP4
- 1.13 Convert Video_TS to MP4
- 1.14 Convert Torrent to MP4
- 1.15 Convert SRT to MP4
- 1.16 Convert Windows Movie Maker to MP4
- 1.17 Convert AVI to MP4
- 1.18 Convert MKV to MP4
- 1.19 Convert MP3 to MP4
- 1.20 Convert MOV to MP4 Android
- 1.21 Convert WRF to MP4
- 1.22 Convert iTunes Movies to MP4
- 1.23 Convert WMA to MP4
- 1.24 Convert IFO to MP4
- 2. Convert MP4 to Other Format+
- 3. Other MP4 Tips+
Top 6 Ways on How to Make An MP4 File Smaller on Windows/Mac
When an MP4 video file takes up too much space on your hard drive or doesn’t fit on the memory card for your portable device, you’ll need to make MP4 smaller. In addition to that, you also need to make MP4 smaller when you’re preparing them for web upload, since many online video sharing sites limit the video size you upload. In this article, you can learn the best way to reduce MP4 file size on Windows/Mac and the top 4 methods to make MP4 smaller online free.
- Part 1. How to Make MP4 Smaller on Windows
- Part 2. How to Make MP4 Files Smaller in Batch on Mac
- Part 3. Why Choose Wondershare UniConverter for Mac/Windows
- Part 4. Other 4 Methods to Make MP4 Smaller Online Free
This article explains how to make MP4 smaller. With Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) - the all-in-one video compression software for compressing digital video files or DVDs, you can easily make your MP4 video smaller without any significant loss of quality. Moreover, this program provides a wide range of presets for most mobile devices and multimedia players, so won’t need a degree in video engineering to convert videos for playback on different devices.
Wondershare UniConverter - Best Video Converter for Windows/Mac (Catalina Included)
- Make MP4 files smaller without any quality loss on Windows/Mac.
- Compress MP4 by changing video resolution, bit rate, format, file size, video quality, and others.
- Support 1000+ video formats for video/audio compression and conversion.
- Edit videos with features of trimming, cropping, adding watermarks, editing subtitles, etc.
- Transfer compressed MP4 videos from PC/Mac to mobile devices via a USB cable.
- Download videos from YouTube and other 10000+ video sharing sites by pasting URLs directly.
- Multiple functions including CD Burner, DVD Burner, CD Converter, Image Converter, Cast to TV, and others.
- Supported OS: Windows Windows 10 (32 bit & 64 bit)/8/7/2003/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Video Tutorial: How to Make MP4 Smaller with Wondershare UniConverter
Steps to Make an MP4 File Size Smaller on Windows:
Step 1 Add the Target Video Files
Download and install Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) on your computer. Then click on the Toolbox section and select Video Compress option from the given functions. You'll get a new interface to add MP4 files, click on the + icon to select an MP4 video to compress.
Step 2 Custom MP4 Compression Settings
From the new window, you can see your added MP4 video information. Select video resolution and format as you need, moving the progress bar to change bit rate and file size. You are allowed to check the video quality for 20 seconds by clicking on the Preview button.
Step 3 Make MP4 Smaller on Windows
You can choose the file location to save your compressed MP4 video by clicking on the Save file option. Tap on the Compress button to start making MP4 file size smaller. You can also follow the same steps on Mac. This method can only compress videos one-by-one, for batch compression, move to the Part 2.
One of the most popular formats used by people across the globe to view, upload and send video files is MP4. There are no second thoughts about the fact that MP4 quality is good but at the same time, it also occupies a huge space on your hard disk or memory card. Mac system is known for playing high-quality video and when you have a huge collection of such videos there are a lot of chances that you run out of space while adding more. Thus in such scenario, reducing MP4 files to a smaller size is the best option to accommodate a few more of your favorite files. In addition to creating space, reducing MP4 to a smaller size is also beneficial in conditions when you need to upload files to YouTube or other video sharing sites, send files through email, playing it on a smartphone with a small screen, and others. Wondershare UniConverter for Mac is professional software that allows making MP4 smaller on Mac without any quality loss. Converting files to a smaller size is quick and easy through the software and it comes packed with an additional list of features as well.
Steps to make MP4 files smaller on Mac using Wondershare UniConverter for Mac:
Step 1 Launch the program and add MP4 file.
Launch Wondershare UniConverter for Mac on your Mac and drag the desired MP4 file into the software interface.
Step 2 Adjust video settings.
Select MP4 as the output format. Click on the Convert files to icon to choose an output video format. Click on the Create Custom button and a new window will pop up. Select the video codec and then adjust the other parameters like bit rate, resolution and frame rate from the drop down menu.
Step 3 Compress MP4 files.
Finally, click on the Convert button to start compressing MP4 file size. To compress all added MP4 files in batch, click on the Convert All button. Once completed, the MP4 file will be compressed with set parameters. This method is also available on Windows system if you need batch compression.
When it comes reducing MP4 files smaller in size, converting files to different formats and other related functions, there is a long list of software available. Though each of these tools have their own pros and cons, but if you are looking for complete professional software that allows converting and reducing files without any quality loss, Wondershare UniConverter is an apt choice. In addition to making changes to the settings of the MP4 file, the software can also be used to convert the file format to compress the MP4 files. The software is available for Mac as well as Windows system and can be considered as the best MP4 video compressor owing to its features as listed below.
|Supported OS||Be compatible with working on Mac and Windows system.|
|Compress MP4 with detailed settins||Facilitates compressing MP4 files to smaller size so that they can be uploaded on video sharing sites, sent through emails and occupy less storage space. Allows setting bit rate, frame rate, resolution and encoder of MP4 files so as to reduce its size.|
|Super Conversion Speed||It can convert or compresses files at 30X Faster speed without any loss of quality compared with other common converters.|
|Video Editing Functions||Allows personalizing MP4 files before compression. Supports multiple editing features with which you can rotate, trim, merge, crop, add watermark/subtitle, add special effects, change aspect ratio and perform other functions on MP4 video files.|
|Compress MP4 in Batch||There is no need for you to compress your MP4 files one by one as it supports batch processing of files so that multiple files can be compressed at a time.|
|Easy to Use||Easy to use and simple interface and does not require any specialized technical or other knowledge|
|Compress MP4 with format and resolution optional||Allows compressing MP4 files to formats and resolutions that are playable on Apple and other devices.|
|Burn to DVD||Facilitates burning MP4 files to DVD if needed.|
Listed below are a few other methods that can be used for making MP4 smaller free or online with easy steps.
1. Online UniConverter - Make MP4 Smaller Online Free
Online UniConverter (originally Media.io) is the best online video compressor to compress your MP4 files quickly and without losing quality. It supports most common video formats like MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, MKV, etc. You can also change video formats, bit rate, and customize video size as you need. More important, it's totally free to use and don't need to download or install any software. Just open the website https://www.media.io/video-compressor.html to compress MP4 smaller.
- Free to use and does not require an installation of software.
- Decent compression speed.
- Other features like video converting, video editing, audio compressing, etc. Cons:
- Supports limited formats.
- Does not support batch processing.
- Can only work online.
2. VideoSmaller - Compress MP4 to Smaller Size Online
VideoSmaller is another online tool which allows you to compress video size including MP4. You can scale video width using this online video compressor and reduce MP4 file size easily. You can upload the video to the website with the browser directly. VideoSmaller online tool supports MP4, AVI, MPEG, MOV video formats for easy and quick size compression.
- Free to use.
- Reduce video size directly from your web browser. Cons:
- Supports only a few formats.
- Compress one file at a time.
- Depends on network connection.
3. HandBrake - Free Mac Software
If you own a Mac system then HandBrake is a good choice if you are looking for free software to compress MP4 files. Since the software is available for free, it does not support lots of features or formats but when it comes to compressing MP4 files, it does a decent job. The software allows adjusting the settings related to quality, bit rate and resolution of the video for compression purpose.
- Free to use.
- The interface is clean and easy to use.
- Supports profile settings for devices. Cons:
- Videos cannot be edited.
- Only supports MP4, M4V, and MKV as output format.
4. Windows Movie Maker - Free Windows Software
For Windows users who are looking for a free compressor, Windows Movie Maker is a good choice. The software is simple to use and allows compressing MP4 files with a few simple steps. You simply need to launch the software on your PC, browse and open the desired MP4 file, select specific device format or adjust the video settings and the compression process will start. The program supports decent list of output formats including MP4, WMV, MPEG, H264, MP3, AVI, MOV, and WMA.
- Free software with simple interface.
- Supports changing parameters like bit rate, frame rate and quality for compression purpose. Cons:
- Support limited formats as compared to other paid and professional software.
- With latest Windows 10 OS version, you need to download the software.