- 1. Convert Other Format to MP4+
- 1.1 Convert MOV to MP4
- 1.2 Convert FLV to MP4
- 1.3 Convert AVCHD to MP4
- 1.4 Convert AVCHD to MP4 on Mac
- 1.5 Convert WMV to MP4
- 1.6 Convert IFO to MP4
- 1.7 Convert WMA to MP4
- 1.8 Convert OGG to MP4
- 1.9 Convert M4V to MP4
- 1.10 Convert VOB to MP4
- 1.11 Convert VHS to MP4
- 1.12 Convert Video_TS to MP4
- 1.13 Convert Torrent to MP4
- 1.14 Convert SRT to MP4
- 1.15 Convert Windows Movie Maker to MP4
- 1.16 Convert AVI to MP4
- 2. Convert MP4 to Other Format+
- 3. Other MP4 Tips+
Owning to the fact that MP4 can be played on all media players and offers good quality, it is one of the most commonly used file formats. On the flip side, MP4 files take up a lot of storage space and thus if you have the huge collection of these files, there is quite a possibility that you keep struggling for space to accommodate the new ones. So either you have to delete the older files to give way to the new ones or can accommodate all by reducing MP4 video size. Apparently, the second option definitely proves to be a better choice where you can compress and reduce MP4 files. The Below given article will guide you about everything that you need to know for compressing MP4 files without losing its quality.
- Part 1. 3 Common Reasons for Compressing MP4 Files
- Part 2. 3 Ways for Compressing and Reducing MP4 Files
- Part 3. Ultimate Solution to Reduce and Compress MP4 Files with Less Quality Loss
- Part 4. 4 Free Tools to Compress and Reduce MP4, MOV, AVI and Other Files
In order to quickly reduce size of MP4 for email or uploading for YouTube, you can browse the following brief summary of steps for Part 3.
How to reduce size of MP4 files?
- Add your MP4 videos to the video reducer.
- Start reducing the size of MP4.
- Save the new compressed MP4 file. Learn more the details >
Besides the lack of storage space on the hard disc and mobile phones, there are other reasons as well when you need to compress the size of your MP4 file and below listed are the top ones.
- A large size of MP4 file is not only difficult to send through email but also takes a lot of time. Thus reducing the size of the MP4 file will make the process faster as well as convenient.
- YouTube is the most popular video sharing site that has a huge collection of MP4 videos. If you wish to upload a file over YouTube too, you need to compress it as large size files generally encounter errors while uploading. Moreover, small size files can be quickly uploaded and shared on social media platforms.
- If you own a smartphone with small screen and wish to play your favorite MP4 videos, you need to compress the file so that it fits perfectly over your phone screen. A large MP4 file will not be displayed properly over the phone and will hamper the experience of enjoying a high-resolution video.
Now when we know the positives associated with MP4 file compression, the next question arises about the ways to do so. If you have finally decided to reduce MP4 file size for space saving, emailing, playing, uploading, or any other reasons, a roundup of the best ways to do so is listed as below.
Method 1: Reducing MP4 to smaller size formats
One of the simplest and most straightforward ways to reduce MP4 files is by converting it to a format that is smaller in size. MP4 is a format that occupies large space on your hard disc and in order to avoid the same, you can convert it to smaller sized formats like WMV, FLV, and others. Given below is the list of formats that you can consider for compressing MP4 files. Associated pros and cons are also listed so that you can make a better choice considering your requirements.
|FLV||It is a format that is suitable for web videos. You can use this format to compress MP4 files when you need to upload files to the web.||Creating FLV format is an expensive as well as time- consuming process. It takes a long time in order to access the web page with Flash.|
|AVI||This format is compatible with variety of media players and is the most common compressed format that features array of codecs.||The format is too large to compress.|
|WMV||This is a tight compressed format that need very less storage space. As compared to MPEG-4 it has two times better compression. The format is perfect when you need to save space on hard disk or email your videos.||The format has poor compatibility when it comes to non-windows devices and platforms like iPad, iPhone and other Apple products.|
|MKV||It is an open source format that features menu for including audio tracks in different language.||The format does not work universally across different devices and media players. It generally has a large file size of up to 40GB.|
Thus considering the above table of formats with its pros and cons, it can be concluded that WMV and FLV are smaller sized formats that can be considered for compressing MP4 files. You can make use of professional software like Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate or a free converter to convert MP4 to WMV, FLV, or other formats.
Method 2: Edit parameter settings with respect to frame rate, bit rate and resolution for compressing MP4 files
The next way for reducing and compressing MP4 files is by changing and editing the parameter settings.
- Changing Bit Rate: The size of the video file can be decreased by lowering its bit rate. Bit rate size is directly proportional to file size and thus reducing one will reduce the other as well. But here it needs to be understood that too much lowering of the bit rate will reduce the quality as well. Thus reducing bit rate by 20-30% of the original size is a good choice.
- Changing the resolution of the file: The resolution of any file determines its size as well as quality. A high-resolution file will have good quality and a larger file size. Thus if you are aiming to reduce file size, reducing the resolution will do the trick. If you have HD videos with a high resolution of 1920 * 1080P, you can reduce it to 1280 X 720P, 640 X 480, 640 X 360 and other resolutions so as to reduce MP4 size. The most commonly and recommended resolution is 640 X 480 as it is compatible with the majority of the mobile devices ( Android, iPhone, and iPad) and various popular sites including Facebook, Vimeo, and YouTube.
- Changing frame rate: Another aspect which can be considered while reducing MP4 file size is reduce the frame rate of the file. The frame rate is directly related to file size and thus reducing one will directly affect the other. The smaller the frame rate of the video is, the smaller its file size will be.
So if you considering changing frame rate, bit rate and resolution for compressing MP4 files, below listed are suggested settings of MP4 file for Vimeo and YouTube. The file can be kept at 23.97 fps in order to reduce the size of the file before compressing it.
|Parameters||Compression Settings for YouTube||Compression Settings for Vimeo|
|Codec||H.264 (This offers higher quality of video for smaller sized MP4 file)||H.264|
|Bit Rate||1000 kbps (360p), 2500 kbps (480p), 5000kbps (720p), 8000kbps (1080p), 10Mbps (1440p), 35-35kbps (2160p)||2,000 – 5,000 kbit/s (SD)/5,000 – 10,000 kbit/s (720p HD)/10,000 – 20,000 kbit/s (1080p HD)|
|Resolution||426x240(240p), 640x360 (360p), 854x480(480p), 1280x720 (720p), 1920x1080 (1080p), 2560x1440 (1440p), 3840x2160(2160P)||640 pixels wide (SD) or 1280 pixels wide(HD)|
|Frame Rate||Keep it as the original one||24, 25, or 30 FPS as the value about 20 does not make any difference.|
Method 3: Trimming and removing unwanted part of MP4 video to reduce its size
Another common solution to compress the size of MP4 file is by trimming and reducing its unwanted parts. If you have huge MP4 clips, you can do some editing by reducing unnecessary parts that will automatically reduce the size of the file. There are plenty of editing tools as well as professional converter software available that will help you to do the task of editing and trimming. A big file can also be cut down into multiple segments for reducing its size.
No matter which methods mentioned above you would like to use, the best tool is available to help you complete the task. If you want to reduce MP4 file, the powerful tool – Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate (Video Converter Ultimate for Mac) is what you need.
Your Complete Video Toolbox - Compress Videos on Windows & Mac
- Easily reduce the size of MP4 video files without any quality loss.
- Enables you to adjust the video settings like bit rate, frame rate and more.
- One-click to convert MP4 video files to other formats.
- Convert video to optimized preset for almost all of the devices.
- 30X faster conversion speed than other common converters.
- Edit, enhance & personalize your videos.
- Burn video to playable DVD with attractive free DVD template.
- Download or record videos from video sharing sites.
- Versatile toolbox includes fixing video metadata, GIF maker, casting video to TV, VR converter and screen recorder.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra), 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6
Steps on How to Reduce the Size of MP4 Video With Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
Step 1 Add your MP4 videos to the video reducer.
After you install and run this video reducer, click the Add Files button to browse and select the MP4 files which you want to reduce the size. Alternatively, you can also drag them directly into the primary window.
Step 2 Start reducing the size of MP4.
Click the drop-down icon of the Convert all files to: and go to Video > MP4, click the Editing icon beside one of the presets to enter the Setting window. In the window, select the Small Size option and let the program resize the size of MP4 immediately (or you can manually change the settings like resolution, bit rate, frame rate, encoder), then click the Create button. After that, select the newly-built preset.
Note: After reducing the size of MP4, the quality of the video will decrease. So you should strike a balance between the size and quality. And the key influence factors of reducing the video is the bit rate and the resolution.
Step 3 Save the new MP4 file.
When you're satisfied with the outcome, choose a suitable output format if you want to convert the MP4 file to other format. Then hit Convert All to start exporting the new file. You can also go to the Burn section and burn the file to DVD with free and nice templates in minutes.
Video Tutorial: How to Reduce the Size of MP4 (MPEG/MPG) Videos
Part 4. 4 Free Tools to Compress and Reduce MP4, MOV, AVI and Other Files (Online, Windows and Mac Tools)
If you are considering free options for your MP4 and other file compression needed, listed below are the best tools that work online, on Windows and Mac platforms.
1. Free Online Tool: Clipchamp
Clipchamp is one of the most commonly used video compressor tools available online that is simple and quick to work with. While using this online converter, you simply need to upload the desired file, select the output format with parameters and then compress. The program is free to use, needs no installation and support MP4, ASF, FLV, WMV, GIF and WebM format.
2. Free Mac Software: HandBrake
HandBrake is decent software for Mac users that allows reducing and compressing needed files. The program allows adjusting parameters like frame rate, bit rate, resolution, and others so that size of the desired file can be reduced.
3. Free Windows Software: Windows Movie Maker
For Windows users, Windows Movie maker is a good choice when it comes to free compression tools. The software allows compressing desired files by selecting the size of the finished video. The program features decent interface and supports MP4, WMV, MPEG, H264, MP3, AVI, MOV, and WMA formats.
iMovie from Apple is another decent tool which can be used in order to reduce and compress different file formats including MP4, AVI, MOV, and MKV. The selected file can be compressed by changing the frame rate, bit rate, output format, and resolution.