- 1. Convert Other Format to MP4+
- 1.1 Convert MOV to MP4
- 1.2 Convert FLV to MP4
- 1.3 Convert AVCHD to MP4
- 1.4 Convert AVCHD to MP4 on Mac
- 1.5 Convert WMV to MP4
- 1.6 Convert DVD to MP4
- 1.7 Convert URL to MP4
- 1.8 Convert OGG to MP4
- 1.9 Convert M4V to MP4
- 1.10 Convert VOB to MP4
- 1.11 Convert VHS to MP4
- 1.12 Convert MTS to MP4
- 1.13 Convert Video_TS to MP4
- 1.14 Convert Torrent to MP4
- 1.15 Convert SRT to MP4
- 1.16 Convert Windows Movie Maker to MP4
- 1.17 Convert AVI to MP4
- 1.18 Convert MKV to MP4
- 1.19 Convert MP3 to MP4
- 1.20 Convert MOV to MP4 Android
- 1.21 Convert WRF to MP4
- 1.22 Convert iTunes Movies to MP4
- 1.23 Convert WMA to MP4
- 1.24 Convert IFO to MP4
- 2. Convert MP4 to Other Format+
- 3. Other MP4 Tips+
9 Ways to Reduce MP4 (MPEG/MPG Included) File Size on Windows/Mac
Owning to the fact that MP4 can be played on all media players and offers good quality, it is one of the most commonly used file formats. On the flip side, MP4 files take up a lot of storage space and thus if you have the huge collection of these files, there is quite a possibility that you keep struggling for space to accommodate the new ones. So either you have to delete the older files to give way to the new ones or can accommodate all by reducing MP4 video size. Apparently, the second option owning an MP4 reducer definitely proves to be a better choice where you can compress and reduce MP4 files. The Below given article will guide you on how to reduce MP4 file size without losing its quality.
- Part 1. 3 Common Reasons for Compressing MP4 Files
- Part 2. 3 Ways on How to Reduce MP4 File Size
- Part 3. Ultimate Solution to Reduce MP4 Files with Less Quality Loss
- Part 4. How to Reduce Size of MP4 Video Online
- Part 5. 4 Free Video Size Reducer to Reduce MP4, MOV, AVI and Other Files
In order to quickly reduce MP4 file size for email or uploading for YouTube, you can browse the following brief summary of steps for Part 3.
How to reduce size of MP4 files?
- Add your MP4 videos to Wondershare video size reducer.
- Start reducing the size of MP4 by setting bitrate, resolution, etc.
- Save the new compressed MP4 file. Learn more the details >
Watch Video Tutorial to Reduce Size of MP4
Besides the lack of storage space on the hard disc and mobile phones, there are other reasons as well when you need to compress the size of your MP4 file and below listed are the top ones.
- A large size of MP4 file is not only difficult to send through email but also takes a lot of time. Thus, reducing the size of the MP4 file will make the process faster as well as convenient.
- YouTube is the most popular video sharing site that has a huge collection of MP4 videos. If you wish to upload a file over YouTube too, you need to reduce size of videos as large size files generally encounter errors while uploading. Moreover, small size files can be quickly uploaded and shared on social media platforms.
- If you own a smartphone with small screen and wish to play your favorite MP4 videos, you need to find a video resolution reducer to compress the file so that it fits perfectly over your phone screen. A large MP4 file will not be displayed properly over the phone and will hamper the experience of enjoying a high-resolution video.
Now when we know the positives associated with MP4 file compression, the next question arises about the ways to do so. If you have finally decided to reduce MP4 file size for space saving, emailing, playing, uploading, or any other reasons, a roundup of the best ways to do so is listed as below.
Method 1: Reducing MP4 to smaller size formats
One of the simplest and most straightforward ways to reduce MP4 files is by converting it to a format that is smaller in size. MP4 is a format that occupies large space on your hard disc and in order to avoid the same, you can convert it to smaller sized formats like WMV, FLV, and others. Given below is the list of formats that you can consider for compressing MP4 files. Associated pros and cons are also listed so that you can make a better choice considering your requirements. One of the only and most simple ways in which to cut back MP4 files is by changing it to a format that's smaller in size. MP4 may be a format that occupies giant area on your hard disk and so as to avoid identical, you'll be able to convert it to smaller sized formats like WMV, FLV, and others. One of the simplest ways to minimize MP4 files is via converting it to a format that is smaller in size. MP4 is a layout that occupies giant house on your challenging disc and in order to keep away from the same, you can convert it to small size formats like WMV, FLV, and others To effortlessly minimize MP4 file size, you can consider converting it to other small file size formats like WMV, FLV, etc. as they occupy far less hard disc when compared with MP4 format. Below lists some small file size formats for you to compress MP4 files to, together with pros and cons help to make a suitable choice.
|FLV||It is a format that is suitable for web videos. You can use this format to compress MP4 files when you need to upload files to the web.||Creating FLV format is an expensive as well as time- consuming process. It takes a long time in order to access the web page with Flash.|
|AVI||This format is compatible with variety of media players and is the most common compressed format that features array of codecs.||The format is too large to compress.|
|WMV||This is a tight compressed format that need very less storage space. As compared to MPEG-4 it has two times better compression. The format is perfect when you need to save space on hard disk or email your videos.||The format has poor compatibility when it comes to non-windows devices and platforms like iPad, iPhone and other Apple products.|
|MKV||It is an open source format that features menu for including audio tracks in different language.||The format does not work universally across different devices and media players. It generally has a large file size of up to 40GB.|
Thus considering the above table of formats with its pros and cons, it can be concluded that WMV and FLV are smaller sized formats that can be considered for compressing MP4 files. You can make use of professional software like Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) or a free converter to convert MP4 to WMV, FLV, or other formats.
Method 2: Edit parameter settings with respect to frame rate, bit rate and resolution for compressing MP4 files
The next way for reducing MP4 files is by changing and editing the parameter settings.
- Changing Bit Rate: The size of the video file can be decreased by lowering its bitrate. Bit rate size is directly proportional to file size and thus reducing one will reduce the other as well. But here it needs to be understood that too much lowering of the bit rate will reduce the quality as well. Thus reducing bit rate by 20-30% of the original size is a good choice.
- Changing the resolution of the file: The resolution of any file determines its size as well as quality. A high-resolution file will have good quality and a larger file size. Thus, if you are aiming to reduce file size, reducing the resolution with a video resolution reducer will do the trick. If you have HD videos with a high resolution of 1920 * 1080P, you can reduce it to 1280 X 720P, 640 X 480, 640 X 360 and other resolutions so as to reduce MP4 size. The most commonly and recommended resolution is 640 X 480 as it is compatible with the majority of the mobile devices ( Android, iPhone, and iPad) and various popular sites including Facebook, Vimeo, and YouTube.
- Changing frame rate: Another aspect which can be considered while reducing MP4 file size is reduce the frame rate of the file. The frame rate is directly related to file size and thus reducing one will directly affect the other. The smaller the frame rate of the video is, the smaller its file size will be.
So if you considering changing frame rate, bit rate and resolution for compressing MP4 files, below listed are suggested settings of MP4 file for Vimeo and YouTube. The file can be kept at 23.97 fps in order to reduce the size of the file before compressing it.
|Parameters||Compression Settings for YouTube||Compression Settings for Vimeo|
|Codec||H.264 (This offers higher quality of video for smaller sized MP4 file)||H.264|
|Bit Rate||1000 kbps (360p), 2500 kbps (480p), 5000kbps (720p), 8000kbps (1080p), 10Mbps (1440p), 35-35kbps (2160p)||2,000 – 5,000 kbit/s (SD)/5,000 – 10,000 kbit/s (720p HD)/10,000 – 20,000 kbit/s (1080p HD)|
|Resolution||426x240(240p), 640x360 (360p), 854x480(480p), 1280x720 (720p), 1920x1080 (1080p), 2560x1440 (1440p), 3840x2160(2160P)||640 pixels wide (SD) or 1280 pixels wide(HD)|
|Frame Rate||Keep it as the original one||24, 25, or 30 FPS as the value about 20 does not make any difference.|
Method 3: Trimming and removing unwanted part for reducing video file size
Another common solution to compress the size of MP4 file is by trimming and reducing its unwanted parts. If you have huge MP4 clips, you can do some editing by reducing unnecessary parts that will automatically reduce the size of the file. There are plenty of editing tools as well as professional converter software available that will help you to do the task of editing and trimming. A big file can also be cut down into multiple segments for reducing its size.
No matter which methods mentioned above you would like to use, the best tool is available to help you complete the task. If you want to reduce MP4 file without any quality loss, the powerful tool – Wondershare UniConverter is what you need to reduce MP4 movie file size on Mac or Windows system. It allowed you to change video resolution, convert video format, choose bit rate, customize file size, and other parameters with real-time preview. Additional features like video conversion, video editing, video burning, and video transfer are also provided, which can help you compress MP4 video size better.
- Reduce the video size of MP4 with real-time preview and no quality loss.
- Resize MP4 videos by customizing video size, resolution, bit rate, quality, and video format.
- Support 1,000+ video formats including MP4/MOV/MPEG/AVI/WMV for compression and conversion.
- Edit MP4 videos with features of Crop, Trim, Rotate, Watermarks, Effects, Subtitle, etc.
- 30X super faster speed than any other video compressor and converter.
- Supports batch processing to compress and convert multiple videos at a time.
- Toolbox with additional functions like Screen Recorder, GIF Maker, Fix Media Metadata, Cast to TV, and more.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/2003/Vista/XP, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Steps on How to Reduce the Size of MP4 Videos With Wondershare UniConverter:
Step 1 Add your MP4 videos to the video file size reducer.
After you install and run this video reducer, click the Add Files button to browse and select the MP4 files which you want to reduce the size. Alternatively, you can also drag them directly into the primary window.
Step 2 Choose output format and customize size reducer settings.
Click the drop-down icon of the Convert all files to: and a video format list will open. Choose MP4 format from the Video tab or other formats you want to convert.
After choosing the output video format, you can find the compress icon on the Target tab. Click it to open the video compress window, where you can change video size, video resolution, bitrate and quality by dragging the progress bar. Preview your creation for 20s by tapping the Preview button. Click the OK button to confirm your video resize settings.
Step 3 Save the newly-reduced MP4 file.
You can add multiple videos and customize compression settings one-by-one. Finally, hit the Convert All button to start reducing MP4 videos size in batch.
If you have only one MP4 video to compress and are looking for a faster and easier way, then move to the Toolbox section and choose Video Compress option to reduce video size of MP4 on Windows/Mac quickly >>.
If you are looking for an easy way to reduce MP4 file size online without downloading and installing any software, Online UniConverter (originally Media.io) is your best choice. This online video compressor and converter can help you compress MP4 file size with converting formats, changing video resolution, and customizing file size without watermarks and ads. You can finish the compression process within 3 simple steps.
Step 1: Open Online UniConverter (originally Media.io) (https://www.media.io/video-compressor.html) in your browser and you'll come to the interface to add videos. Click on the + icon to add a MP4 file on your computer.
Step 2: After the MP4 video added, choose Resolution, Output Size, and Output format as you like from the given options.
Step 3: Click on the Compress button to start reducing MP4 file size easily and quickly. After compression, you can download the file by clicking on the Download button.
If you are considering free video size reducer software for compressing your MP4 and other files, listed below are the best tools that work on Windows and Mac platforms.
1. Best way to shrink MP4 file size free: Wondershare Free Video Converter
Wondershare Free Video Converter is the free version of the best MP4 file reducer, Wondershare UniConverter, which has similar interface and function as the full version. It also supports 1000+ video and audio formats and you can compress MP4 file size without any quality loss. Video resolution, bit rate, file size, format, and other parameters can also be changed here. But like most freeware you can find, it has a watermark on the output video.
2. Free video size reducer to reduce video file size Mac: HandBrake
HandBrake is decent movie file size reducer for Mac users that allows reducing MP4 files and other files. The program allows adjusting parameters like frame rate, bit rate, resolution, and others so that it can reduce movie size easily.
3. Free Windows video file size reducer: Windows Movie Maker
For Windows users, Windows Movie maker is a good MP4 compressor to reduce video size. The software allows to shrink a MP4 video by selecting the size of the finished video. The program features decent interface and supports other formats like WMV, MPEG, H264, MP3, AVI, MOV, and WMA formats.
4. Free MP4 reducer for Mac users: iMovie
iMovie from Apple is another decent tool to reduce video file size mac, which can be used in order to reduce different file formats including MP4, AVI, MOV, and MKV. The selected file can be compressed by changing the frame rate, bit rate, output format, and resolution.
No matter which way you choose to reduce MP4 file size finally, Wondershare UniConverter proves to be the full solution on how to reduce video file size. Just download it to have a free try now.