Converting video on Mac
for you in different situations
Are you having problems with video conversion on Mac? Using this best video converter for Mac can help you solve the problem in different situations. Whether you are a video maker, audio producter，GIF lover or DVD Collector.
Windows 11 / Windows 10 / Windows 8 / Windows 7 (64 bit OS)Go to Mac >
macOS 10.11 - macOS 11（Apple M1 compatible）Go to Windows >
Video makers tend to convert video to MP4 on Mac
Mac is not compatible with all video formats, so video makers often encounter finished videos that cannot be played on Mac. MP4 has better adaptability, here are the situations where you need to convert video to MP4 on Mac.
MOV format doesn't work on Mac
- What is an MOV video file? Why can't MOV play on Mac?
- MOV is a video format developed by Apple Computers. It is an uncompressed larger file format. Although MOV files are compatible with Mac OS X, they sometimes fail to open in QuickTime. The best solution is to convert MOV to MP4 on Mac.
MKV has big problems on Mac
- What is MKV? What are its disadvantages?
- MKV is a Matroska multimedia container file format. Not compatible with a range of devices including Macs. Also, MKV files are large and can cause errors when playing on Mac or other devices. The best way is to convert it to MP4 format.
WMV is hard to use on Mac
- What is WMV? Why can't it be used on Mac?
- WMV is the flagship file format of the Windows operating system. WMV is compatible with Windows, not Apple devices. If you want to play some of your favorite WMV format videos on Mac, converting them to MP4 is an ideal solution.
AVI sometimes doesn't play on Mac
- What is AVI? What system is it more suitable for?
- AVI is a widely used format with high video quality on Windows computers. If you try to open it on a Mac machine, you may encounter incompatibility issues. Fortunately, there are many ways to convert AVI video to MP4 on Mac.
Music producers love to convert video to MP3 on Mac
MP3 is highly adaptable, stable, and occupies very little memory. Therefore, music creators often convert music or videos made on Mac to MP3 format. The following will introduce the situation that needs to be converted to MP3.
MP3 is more widely used than M4A
- What is M4A? What are the advantages of MP3 over M4A?
- M4A is widely used in Apple devices, so it is not fully compatible. MP3 is probably the most widely known and supported audio format in the world. It is compatible with all media software and devices while maintaining high quality audio.
Extract music material from video
- What is the value of video? Why choose MP3 as output format?
- A common method used by music producers is to extract music from movies or anime videos for secondary creation or remixing. The MP3 format was chosen because it fits more devices and takes up less space.
WAV is not very friendly to some players
- What is the WAV format? What are the disadvantages of WAV?
- WAV is a digital music format used for recording and editing. Because WAV files are usually large, require a lot of hard drive space, and are not very friendly to some music players. You may want to convert WAV files to MP3 to reduce the size or make them easier to play.
FLAV is a rarely applicable format
- What is the FLAC format? What are the disadvantages of FLAC?
- FLAC is known as an audio coding format with lossless compression. When you use FLAC for better music quality, it takes up more storage space on your Mac. If you don't care about sound quality, converting FLAC to MP3 is a good choice.
GIF lovers keep converting videos to GIFs
GIFs are pictures or video clips that are played in a continuous loop, and this repetitive expression can be impressive. GIF lovers are born entertainers, and in their world, GIFs are the most direct expression of emotion.
Using GIFs on Social Media
- Why choose GIFs? What is the source of the GIF material?
- GIFs are easy to understand. They take up less memory than videos. Able to help people express emotions in a fun, cute and intuitive way. The GIF material comes from the video. Converting MOV, MKV, MP4 and other video formats to GIF is the easiest way.
DVD collectors always convert DVDs to MP4 on Mac
DVD collectors are a nostalgic bunch, with memories of the past resurrected in MP4 format. They have always commemorated youth in this way. But most of the time DVD cannot be played on Mac.
DVD won't play on Mac
- Why can't my Mac read DVDs? How to watch DVD?
- An unreadable DVD is usually caused by a damaged or outdated DVD drive. If you have a large collection of your favorite videos on DVD, you can only enjoy them on a DVD player. The easiest way to read DVDs on Mac is to convert DVDs to MP4.
How to convert video on Mac
Converting video on Mac for free
How to convert video with VLC
Click on the file and select the conversion option. Import the file to convert.
In the Select Profile section, select the file output format.
Click the "Save" button and specify a filename and destination location for the output file.
- It works with a lot of platforms.
- It is accessible without limitations.
- It enables you to preview your output upon conversion.
- It features many popular codecs.
- It does not have enough editing features.
- The converter does not work on mobile phones.
- It is hard to find the output formats.
How to convert video with QuickTime
Import files in QuickTime for conversion.
Select the format you want to convert to export.
Click Save and wait a few minutes.
- It works perfectly with HD video.
- It has perfect audio playback integration.
- It adopts advanced video compression technology.
- It does not support many common file formats such as AVI, WMV, MKV, FLV, etc.
- It must have bloatware installed.
How to convert video with iMovie
Click Import Media to import the files you want to convert.
Select the file format you want to export.
Click Convert and wait for the conversion to complete.
- It has a very user-friendly interface.
- It can easily share videos on social platforms.
- It is convenient to clip video.
- It has built-in special effects and video enhancement functions.
- It takes up a lot of hard disk space.
- It is not suitable for many video formats.
- It requires a third-party video converter.
The easily way to convert video on Mac by Uniconverter
Launch the Video Converter and add video file(s).
Launch the Video Converter of Wondershare UniConverter on Mac. Tab the + to add the video files or directly drag and drop the files.
Choose an output format.
Click and open the Output Format menu from the bottom, go to the Video tab, choose an output format from the list in the left pane, and select your preferred resolution from the right.
Access the converted videos.
Once the conversion completes successfully, you will see the word Success displayed under the Convert button. Now you can go to the Finished tab to review the converted video.
UniConverter VS. Mac built-in Applications
|Video Compressor for Mac||UniConverter for Mac||iMovie||VLC||Quicktime|
|Supported import format(Video)||1000+||MOV, MP4, 3GP, AVI, M4V||10+||MOV, MP4, M4V|
|Supported output format(Video)||1000+||MP4, MOV, AVI, DV||10+||MOV|
|Batch add files for conversion||√||X||X||X|
|The quality of output video||Up to 99% of original video||Low, Medium, High, Best (ProRes), Custom||Medium||Medium|
|Coverting speed||Up to 99% of original video||Low, Medium, High, Best (ProRes), Custom||Medium||Medium|
UniConverter for Mac
- Convert video/DVD to 1000+ formats with high quality.
- Convert video to MP3 and 100+ audio formats.
- Convert video/DVD to different formats in batch.
- Support High-Speed Conversion and GPU acceleration.
- Merge videos into one.
- Add files to iTunes after conversion automatically.
- VR Converter
macOS FAQs & Tips
Explore more tips&trick about how to convert record on Mac better.
You may want to record videos on Mac when you are using the Mac to make a tutorial, playing a game, starting a video call, etc. There're different ways to record screen and audio and even record yourself on Mac, and in this article, we'll introduce the best free screen recorder mac supported and other useful ways to help you get the work done easily.
Merging videos on Mac can be a tricky task if you do not have the right tools. The need to merge videos arises in different situations like creating a single video from multiple clips, creating a tutorial combining different files, and others. So to assist you with the task, several video joiner for Mac are available. Know about how to combine videos on Mac using these tools in the following parts.
There are many methods of how to crop a picture on Mac easily and with high-quality. You don’t even need to download a third-party photo cropping app on your Mac to do that. That’s because all Macs come baked with the helpful Preview photo viewing app. So, let’s cut the chase and learn how to crop photos on Mac using the Preview App and other useful solutions like Wondershare UniConverter.
We are living in an era where digital artists are highly appreciated. Luckily, there are so many free drawing software for Mac and Windows that can help turn you into an Oscar Award-winning digital artist. But finding the right tool from the myriad of options available can be a serious challenge. So, to cut your long chase short, here is a list of the 15 best free drawing software for Mac in 2022.
Connecting a camcorder to Mac is not very complicated and is not so different from connecting it to a PC, but it must be done properly in order to achieve a good result. This way, it is advisable that you make sure to be informed on whether the connection method works and how to follow the right steps before actually connecting them.After connect and download media files to Mac, you can watch them with your favorite media player, or convert to other video formats for further editing in iMovie, Final Cut Pro, QuickTime, etc.