- 1. Compress Video/Audio in Different Formats+
- 1.1 Compress MP4 on Winodws & Mac
- 1.2 Reduce Size of MP4
- 1.3 Resize MP4 Videos Online
- 1.4 Compress MP4 Online
- 1.5 Free MP4 Compressors
- 1.6 Compress FLV
- 1.7 Compress MKV
- 1.8 Compress MOV
- 1.9 Compress MOV Online
- 1.10 Compress WMV
- 1.11 Comrpess M4V
- 1.12 Compress MPEG/3GP
- 1.13 Compress H264 File
- 1.14 Compress AVI File
- 1.15 Reduce Size of MKV
- 1.16 Top 5 WebM Compressors
- 1.17 Compress WAV Free Online
- 1.18 FLAC Compression Software
- 1.19 Top 5 Online MP3 Size Reducers
- 1.20 Compress M4A Files Free Online
- 2. Compress Video from Devices/Apps +
- 2.1 Compress iPhone Video
- 2.2 Compress Camcorder Video
- 2.3 Compress GoPro Video
- 2.4 Compress QuickTime Video
- 2.5 Compress Fraps Video
- 2.6 Top 12 File Compressor for Android
- 2.7 MMS Video Size Limit for iPhone/Android
- 2.8 Shorten Videos on iPhone
- 2.9 10 Video Compressor App Android/iPhone
- 2.10 Top 8 Video Size Reducers for Android
- 3. Compress Video with Different Apps +
- 3.1 Resize Video in iMovie
- 3.2 Make VLC Resize Video
- 3.3 Make Windows Movie Maker Resize Video
- 3.4 Different Apps to Compress Video
- 3.5 Compress Videos with Windows Media Player Alternatives
- 3.6 Use FFmpeg to Resize Video
- 3.7 Apple Compressor 4 Alternative
- 3.8 Top 6 Clipchamp Alternatives
- 3.9 Top 7 Video Cutter and Compressor
- 3.10 HandBrake Video Compressor Alternative
- 4. Compress Video for Different Purposes +
- 4.1 Compress Video for Email
- 4.2 Compress Video for Web
- 4.3 Compress Video for YouTube
- 4.4 Compress Video for Vimeo
- 4.5 Compress Video for Facebook, Instagram
- 4.6 Twitter Video Compression
- 4.7 Resize Facebook Video Size
- 4.8 Resize Instagram Video Size
- 4.9 Compress YouTube Video Size
- 4.10 Compress Video for DVD
- 4.11 Send Large Files via Email
- 4.12 Compress Files for WhatsApp
- 4.13 Send Long Videos on WhatsApp
- 5. Other Tips & Tricks +
- 5.1 Full Guide to Compress Video
- 5.2 Free Video Compressors
- 5.3 Top 7 Video Compressors
- 5.4 Top 10 Video Compressor for Mac
- 5.5 Top Audio Compressors
- 5.6 Top 8 Audio Compressor Free Online
- 5.7 Compress Files to Small Size
- 5.8 Compress HD/FHD (4K/1080P) Videos
- 5.9 Compress A Video
- 5.10 Compressed Video Formats
- 5.11 Top 8 Compression Software 2019
- 5.12 Top 9 File Compressors
- 5.13 How to Make A File Smaller
- 5.14 How to Make Video Smaller
- 5.15 Lossless Compression
- 5.16 Top 10 Ways to Reduce Video Size
- 5.17 Compress Files & Folders
- 5.18 Compress Folder Online and Free
- 5.19 Top 6 Online Size Converters
- 5.20 Top 10 Ways to Send Large Videos
- 5.21 Top 5 Video Resizer
- 5.22 Top 6 File Size Reducer
- 5.23 Shorten a Video Online and Free
- 5.24 Change MP4/MP3 Bitrate
- 5.25 11 Ways to Compress Videos Free Online
How to Use FFmpeg to Resize Video Without Any Quality Loss
Is it possible to resize my videos to make them smaller with FFmpeg?
What should you do if you want to resize your original video dimensions from 1024x576 to 720x480 to meet the requirement? To reduce and resize the video size for easy sharing and storing, there are a number of tools and programs available. FFmpeg is the leading multimedia tool which allows you to decode, encode, transcode, scale, crop, and edit videos. You can also use FFmpeg to resize video and compress video size, follow the simple steps list below and find the best FFmpeg alternative to compress video much easier without any quality loss.
- Part 1. Best Alternative to FFmpeg to Resize Videos Easily
- Part 2. How to Compress Video Size with FFmpeg
- Part 3. Comparison Between Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate and FFmpeg
Part 1. Best Alternative to FFmpeg to Resize Videos Easily
If you are looking for a fast, straightforward, and a lossless solution to resize your videos, Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate is the best choice. Compatible with Windows and Mac, this software allows adding an array of video formats and reducing their size by editing the frame rate, bit rate, quality, and resolution. The effects of compression can be previewed so that you can make any adjustment easily. Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate works as the best alternative to the method of FFmpeg resize video.
- Resize and compress videos on Windows/Mac without losing any quality easily and quickly.
- Resize videos by changing video resolution, bit rate, quality, size, and other parameters with real-time preview.
- Edit videos with cropping, trimming, rotating, adding watermarks, applying effects, etc.
- Convert and compress videos in 1,000+ formats including MP4, AVI, MOV, WMV, MPEG, and more others.
- 30X faster compressing speed than any video compressor.
- Transfer resized videos from PC/Mac to iPhone/Android devices via a USB cable.
- Resize video and audio files in batch process to compress multiple videos at a time.
- Toolbox with additional functions like Screen Recorder, Video Downloader, GIF Maker, Fix Media Metadata, Cast to TV, etc.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/2003/Vista/XP, Mac OS X 10.14 (Mojave), 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Steps to Compress Videos Using the Best FFmpeg Alternative - Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
Step 1 Launch FFmpeg alternative and Add Video Files
Launch Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate after you have downloaded and installed it on your PC/Mac. Under the Toolbox tab, click on the Video Compress option, and a new pop-up window will open. To add a video, click on the + sign and the file explorer will open up.
Step 2 Customize video compression settings
To reduce the size of the file, you can change the format, resolution, bit rate, and frame rate of the added video. You can also move the progress bar to automatically change the compression level.
Step 3 Resize video with FFmpeg alternative
To check the changes you have made to your video, click on the Preview button. You're allowed to choose your video file location to save the compressed file at the Save file: option. Finally, click on the Compress button to resize your video easily with FFmpeg alternative.
To resize videos in batch and edit videos with cropping, trimming, rotating, just move to How to Batch Compress and Edit Videos Easily >> to learn more.
Part 2. How to Compress Video Size with FFmpeg
FFmpeg is a free to use software project that comes along with an array of libraries and the programs for handling multimedia, video, audio, and other file types. FFmpeg used command-line for processing different files. Video compression is one of the many features supported by FFmpeg. Using the program, the resolution of the video file can be changed in order to reduce and resize the file. When the resolution is changed using FFmpeg, the file goes through the encoding process one more time and thus the process is slow and may take time depending on the output format and the codec being used. For Linux compress video, this is the best solution.
Steps to use FFmpeg to resize video:
The below command-line will help to resize the resolution of a video from 1920 X 1080 pixels to 640 X 360 pixels.
ffmpeg -i video_1920.mp4 -vf scale=640:360 video_640.mp4 -hide_banner
If video look needs to be changed setdar can be used as an additional filter. For instance, in the above situation, if you wish to change the aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 following will be the command.
ffmpeg -i video_1920.mp4 -vf scale=640:480,setdar=4:3 video_640x480.mp4 -hide_banner
Pros and Cons of the method:
- Supports an array of filters and codecs.
- Free and open source method.
- All popular audio and video formats are compatible.
- The method is difficult to understand and use for the beginners.
- Confusing documentation.
Part 3. Comparison Between Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate and FFmpeg
Choosing between Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate and FFmpeg method for compressing video files entirely depends on what are your requirements, the number of files and an array of other factors. To help you in deciding, the table below compares both the methods on different parameters.
|Features/Program||Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate||FFmpeg|
|Supported Formats||Over 1000 video and audio formats including MP4/MOV/AVI/MKV/WMV||All popular formats|
|Compress Quality||Compress videos even without any quality loss||High|
|Compress Speed||30X faster than any other||Average|
|Preview Compression Effects||Yes, a real-time preview for 20 seconds||No|
|Convert Video Format||Yes||No|
|Trim/Crop and Edit Videos||Yes, many video editing features like Crop/Trim/Rotate/Watermarks/Effects, etc.||No|
|Easy to Use||Yes, compress videos with 3 simple steps and intuitive interface.||No, resize video with command-line.|