- 1. Add Subtitles+
- 2. Extract Subtitles+
- 3. Download Subtitles+
- 4. Tips and Tricks+
- 4.1 Top 10 Subtitles Players
- 4.2 Play Dual Subtitles
- 4.3 Video Players with Subtitles
- 4.4 Convert IDX to SRT
- 4.5 Convert TXT to SRT
- 4.6 Convert SUB to SRT
- 4.7 Convert Video with subtitle
- 4.8 Best Subtitle Converters
- 4.9 Subtitle Editor Tools
- 4.1 Adjust Subtitle Delay in VLC
- 4.11 Best Subtitle Maker
- 4.12 Tips about Subtitle Editing
- 4.13 Synchronize Subtitle Tool
- 4.14What is Subtitle
- 4.15 Best Font for Subtitles
- 4.16 How to Create SRT File
- 4.17 Turn On/Off Subtitles
- 4.18 Add Text/Subtitles/Captions to iMovie
- 4.19 Several Tips about Subtitles in Windows Media Player
How to Add Subtitles to MKV on Mac or Windows
- Part 1. How to Add Subtitle to MKV on Mac/Windows Easily
- Part 2. Add Subtitle to MKV via Apowersoft Video Converter Studio
Have you ever seen some text script display on the bottom of a video as you watch a movie? The writing texts are known as subtitles, but you can also call them annotations or captions. They are printed translation of the dialogue of a film or video. The subtitles are displayed on the bottom of the video so that they do not interfere or obstruct what you are watching. The commonly used subtitle formats include ASS, SSA, and SRT. Various reasons necessitate the adding of subtitles to MKV. Some of the advantages include:
- They are useful in translating foreign language in the movie or video.
- It is multilingual thus you can add your native language.
- Subtitles can be helpful in transcribing dialogues for easier understanding.
- Subtitles can be added as story narrator, clip narrator and caption maker.
If you desire to add subtitles to a video, here we provide 2 tools for your selection-Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) and Apowersoft Video Converter Studio. To know the specific operations on how to add subtitles to MKV, read the information contained in this article.
Your Complete Video Toolbox
- Edit, enhance & personalize your MKV files
- Versatile toolbox combines fix video metadata, GIF maker, cast video to TV, VR converter and screen recorder
- Convert to 1000+ formats, like MKV, AVI, MOV, MP4, etc.
- Convert to optimized preset for almost all of the devices
- 30X faster conversion speed than any conventional converters
- Burn video to playable DVD with attractive free DVD template
- Download or record videos from video sharing sites
- Stream your videos from Windows or Mac to other devices, including Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Xbox 360 or PS3
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6
Wondershare UniConverter (Originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) is available for both Windows and Mac users, which works perfectly with Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista and Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6. It's such an amazing tool to add subtitles to MKV that also permits video editing to your preferred adjustments and converts MKV to other 150+ output format for playback.
Step-by-Step Guide to Add Subtitles to MKV on Mac
The steps indicated below shows the procedure for using the Mac version to add subtitles to your MKV video.
Step 1 Import MKV Videos.
Run Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate), and import your MKV files to the program. You can import files by dragging them and dropping them into the primary window. Alternatively, you can navigate to the top left side of the primary window and click the +Add Files. From there you can locate your MKV file from a browse window that will popup.
Step 2 Add Subtitle to MKV Video.
After you have successfully imported the MKV video that you want to insert the subtitles, click the icon as below to go to the editing window. Go to the top menu and then click the Subtitle tab. From there, you can load the subtitle you want to use such as the SRT, SSA, and ASS using the Triangle button.
Once the subtitle is loaded, you can see it on the MKV video. A preset style will be used by default. You can also customize the color, font, position, size, transparency and any other setting that you want to change in your subtitle. Once you finish making the changes, click the Save button to confirm the settings.
Step 3 Choose MKV output format.
You can stick the subtitle permanently to your MKV video. Just go to the Convert all tasks to and choose the MKV as your output format from the drop-down list. You can also select a device to save your MKV video and play in it directly. Such devices include iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Android smartphone.
Step 4 Start the MKV conversion.
When you have followed all the necessary steps, you can now click the Convert All button to begin the conversion. Once the process is complete, the subtitles will be exported permanently to the specified video format in the Converted section.
Apowersoft Video Converter Studio supports the addition of subtitles to MKV videos and allows for various subtitle formats such as SSA, STR, and ASS. The detailed steps are as follows.
Step 1: Install and run the Apowersoft Video Converter Studio on your PC.
Step 2: Add the MKV files by clicking the Add Files button.
Step 3: Edit your MKV video by clicking the Edit button, which will take you to an editing window.
Step 4: Hit the Subtitle icon to add your desired subtitles to MKV video.
Step 5: You can make some adjustments to the added subtitle. For instance, you can change the height, color, position and font.
Step 6: After you comfortable with the settings, you just need to click the OK button.
Step 7: Lastly you can click the Convert button to save the MKV videos with the subtitles.
After trying both tools to add subtitles to MKV video, we noticed that Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) works better as it ensures that the subtitles are added permanently without corrupting the quality of the video, whereas Apowersoft interferes with the quality of the final file.