- 1. Play MKV on Device+
- 1.1 Top MKV Player
- 1.2 Play MKV on Mac
- 1.3 Play MKV on Apple TV
- 1.4 Play MKV on Samsung TV
- 1.5 Play MKV on Sony TV
- 1.6 Play MKV on LG TV
- 1.7 Play MKV on PS3
- 1.8 Play MKV on Xbox One
- 1.9 Play MKV on Xbox360
- 1.10 Play MKV to iPhone
- 1.11 Play MKV to iPad
- 1.12 Play MKV on iPod
- 1.13 Play MKV on Android Phone
- 1.14 Play MKV in VLC
- 1.15 Play MKV in Windows Media Player
- 1.16 MKV Playback Issues in VLC
- 2. Convert MKV to Other Format+
- 2.1 Convert MKV to MP4
- 2.2 Convert MKV to MP4 on Mac
- 2.3 Convert MKV to MP4 Online
- 2.4 Convert MKV to MP3
- 2.5 Convert MKV to Audio
- 2.6 Convert MKV to WMV
- 2.7 Convert MKV to M4V
- 2.8 Convert MKV to AVI
- 2.9 Convert MKV to AVI Online
- 2.10 Convert MKV to FLV
- 2.11 Convert MKV to DVD
- 2.12 Convert MKV to MOV
- 2.13 Convert MKV to iTunes
- 2.14 MKV to MOV Converter Online
- 2.15 Convert MKV to VOB
- 2.16 Convert MKV to DivX
- 2.17 Convert MKV to MPEG
- 2.18 Convert MKV to MPEG2
- 2.19 Convert MKV to MPEG4
- 2.20 Convert MKV to XviD
- 2.21 Convert MKV to 3GP
- 2.22 Convert MKV to M2TS
- 2.23 Convert MKV to AVCHD
- 2.24 Convert MKV to H264
- 2.25 Convert MKV to TS
- 2.26 Convert MKV to VCD
- 2.27 Convert MKV to AC3
- 2.28 Burn MKV to DVD
- 2.29 Burn MKV to Blu-ray
- 2.30 Convert MKV to SWF
- 3. Convert Other Format to MKV+
- 3.1 Convert MP4 to MKV
- 3.2 Convert MP4 to MKV on Mac
- 3.3 Convert MP4 to MKV Online
- 3.4 Convert M4V to MKV
- 3.5 Convert WMV to MKV
- 3.6 Convert MOV to MKV
- 3.7 Convert DVD to MKV
- 3.8 Convert M2TS to MKV
- 3.9 Convert AVI to MKV
- 3.10 Convert Bluray to MKV
- 3.11 Convert FLV to MKV
- 3.12 Convert AVCHD to MKV
- 3.13 Convert OGM to MKV
- 3.14 Convert MTS to MKV
- 3.15 Convert WTV to MKV
- 3.16 Convert VOB to MKV
- 3.17 Convert RMVB to MKV
- 3.18 YouTube to MKV
- 4. Edit MKV & Other Tips+
- 4.1 Extract Subtitles from MKV
- 4.2 Add Substitles to MKV
- 4.3 Add SRT to MKV
- 4.4 Compress MKV Video
- 4.5 Reduce MKV File Size
- 4.6 Cut MKV Files
- 4.7 Edit MKV Metadata
- 4.8 MKV No Sound
- 4.9 MKV Video Player for Android
- 4.10 MKV Converter for Mac
- 4.11 Free MKV Converter
- 4.12 MKV Player Mac
- 4.13 2D to 3D MKV Converter
- 4.14 Remux MKV
- 4.15 MKV Encoder
- 4.16 Convert MKV to FCP Mac
- 4.17 Stream MKV to TV with Chromecast
- 4.18 Import MKV to iMovie
- 4.19 Windows DVD Maker MKV
- 4.20 Convert MKV to MP4 with HandBrake Alternative
- Part 1. Use Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) to Add Subtitle to MKV on Mac/Windows
- Part 2. Add Subtitle to MKV via Apowersoft Video Converter Studio
Have you ever seen some text script display on the bottom of a video as you watch a movie? The writing texts are known as subtitles, but you can also call them annotations or captions. They are printed translation of the dialogue of a film or video. The subtitles are displayed on the bottom of the video so that they do not interfere or obstruct what you are watching. The commonly used subtitle formats include ASS, SSA, and SRT. Various reasons necessitate the adding of subtitles to MKV. Some of the advantages include:
- They are useful in translating foreign language in the movie or video.
- It is multilingual thus you can add your native language.
- Subtitles can be helpful in transcribing dialogues for easier understanding.
- Subtitles can be added as story narrator, clip narrator and caption maker.
If you desire to add subtitles to a video, here we provide 2 tools for your selection-Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) and Apowersoft Video Converter Studio. To know the specific operations on how to add subtitles to MKV, read the information contained in this article.
Part 1. Use Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) to Add Subtitle to MKV on Mac/Windows
Your Complete Video Toolbox
- Edit, enhance & personalize your video files
- Versatile toolbox combines fix video metadata, GIF maker, cast video to TV, VR converter and screen recorder
- Convert to 1000+ formats, like AVI, MKV, MOV, MP4, etc.
- Convert to optimized preset for almost all of the devices
- 30X faster conversion speed than any conventional converters
- Burn video to playable DVD with attractive free DVD template
- Download or record videos from video sharing sites
- Stream your videos from Windows or Mac to other devices, including Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Xbox 360 or PS3
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6
Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) is available for both Windows and Mac users, which works perfectly with Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista and Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6. It's such an amazing tool to add subtitles to MKV that also permits video editing to your preferred adjustments and converts MKV to other 150+ output format for playback.
Step-by-Step Guide to Add Subtitles to MKV on Mac
The steps indicated below shows the procedure for using the Mac version to add subtitles to your MKV video.
Step 1 Import MKV Videos
Run Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate), and import your MKV files to the program. You can import files by dragging them and dropping them into the primary window. Alternatively, you can navigate to the top left side of the primary window and click Add Files. From there you can locate your MKV file from a browse window that will popup.
Step 2 Add Subtitle to MKV Video
After you have successfully imported the MKV video that you want to insert the subtitles, click the icon as below to go to the editing window. Go to the top menu and then click the Subtitle tab. From there, you can load the subtitle you want to use such as the SRT, SSA, and ASS using the ... button.
Once the subtitle is loaded, you can see it on the MKV video. A preset style will be used by default. You can also customize the color, font, position, size, transparency and any other setting that you want to change in your subtitle. Once you finish making the changes, click OK to confirm the settings.
Step 3 Export Video or Burn MKV to DVD with Subtitle
You can stick the subtitle permanently to your MKV video. Just go to the Convert all tasks to and choose MKV as your output format from the drop-down list. You can also select a device to save your MKV video and play in it directly. Such devices include iPhone, iPad, iPod, and Android smartphone.
For you to burn the MKV to DVD with the subtitle, just import the MKV files under Burn tab. When you have followed all the necessary steps, you can now click Convert or Burn button to begin the conversion. Once the process is complete, the subtitles will be exported permanently to the specified video format.
Apowersoft Video Converter Studio supports the addition of subtitles to MKV videos and allows for various subtitle formats such as SSA, STR, and ASS. The detailed steps are as follows.
Step 1 Install and run the Apowersoft Video Converter Studio on your PC.
Step 2 Add the MKV files by clicking Add Files button.
Step 3 Edit your MKV video by clicking Edit button, which will take you to an editing window.
Step 4 Hit Subtitle icon to add your desired subtitles to MKV video.
Step 5 You can make some adjustments to the added subtitle. For instance, you can change the height, color, position and font.
Step 6 After you comfortable with the settings, you just need to click OK.
Step 7 Lastly you can click Convert button to save the MKV videos with the subtitles.
After trying both tools to add subtitles to MKV video, we noticed that Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) works better as it ensures that the subtitles are added permanently without corrupting the quality of the video, whereas Apowersoft interferes with the quality of the final file.