- 1. Play MKV on Device+
- 1.1 Top MKV Player
- 1.2 Play MKV on Mac
- 1.3 Play MKV on Apple TV
- 1.4 Play MKV on Samsung TV
- 1.5 Play MKV on Sony TV
- 1.6 Play MKV on LG TV
- 1.7 Play MKV on PS3
- 1.8 Play MKV on Xbox One
- 1.9 Play MKV on Xbox360
- 1.10 Play MKV to iPhone
- 1.11 Play MKV to iPad
- 1.12 Play MKV on iPod
- 1.13 Play MKV on Android Phone
- 1.14 Play MKV on Nexus 7
- 1.15 Play MKV in VLC
- 1.16 Play MKV in Windows Media Player
- 1.17 MKV Playback Issues in VLC
- 2. Convert MKV to Other Format+
- 2.1 Convert MKV to MP4
- 2.2 Convert MKV to MP4 on Mac
- 2.3 Convert MKV to MP4 Online
- 2.4 Convert MKV to MP3
- 2.5 Convert MKV to WMV
- 2.6 Convert MKV to M4V
- 2.7 Convert MKV to AVI
- 2.8 Convert MKV to AVI Online
- 2.9 Convert MKV to FLV
- 2.10 Convert MKV to DVD
- 2.11 Convert MKV to MOV
- 2.12 Convert MKV to iTunes
- 2.13 MKV to MOV Converter Online
- 2.14 Convert MKV to VOB
- 2.15 Convert MKV to DivX
- 2.16 Convert MKV to MPEG
- 2.17 Convert MKV to MPEG2
- 2.18 Convert MKV to MPEG4
- 2.19 Convert MKV to XviD
- 2.20 Convert MKV to 3GP
- 2.21 Convert MKV to M2TS
- 2.22 Convert MKV to AVCHD
- 2.23 Convert MKV to H264
- 2.24 Convert MKV to TS
- 2.25 Convert MKV to VCD
- 2.26 Convert MKV to AC3
- 2.27 Burn MKV to DVD
- 2.28 Convert MKV to SWF
- 3. Convert Other Format to MKV+
- 3.1 Convert MP4 to MKV
- 3.2 Convert MP4 to MKV on Mac
- 3.3 Convert MP4 to MKV Online
- 3.4 Convert M4V to MKV
- 3.5 Convert WMV to MKV
- 3.6 Convert MOV to MKV
- 3.7 Convert DVD to MKV
- 3.8 Convert M2TS to MKV
- 3.9 Convert AVI to MKV
- 3.10 Convert Bluray to MKV
- 3.11 Convert FLV to MKV
- 3.12 Convert AVCHD to MKV
- 3.13 Convert OGM to MKV
- 3.14 Convert MTS to MKV
- 3.15 Convert WTV to MKV
- 3.16 Convert VOB to MKV
- 3.17 Convert RMVB to MKV
- 4. Edit MKV & Other Tips+
- 4.1 Extract Subtitles from MKV
- 4.2 Add Substitles to MKV
- 4.3 Add SRT to MKV
- 4.4 Compress MKV Video
- 4.5 Reduce MKV File Size
- 4.6 Cut MKV Files
- 4.7 Edit MKV Metadata
- 4.8 MKV No Sound
- 4.9 MKV Video Player for Android
- 4.10 MKV Converter for Mac
- 4.11 Free MKV Converter
- 4.12 MKV Player Mac
- 4.13 2D to 3D MKV Converter
- 4.14 Remux MKV
- 4.15 MKV Encoder
- 4.16 Convert MKV to FCP Mac
- 4.17 Stream MKV to TV with Chromecast
- 4.18 Import MKV to iMovie
- 4.19 Windows DVD Maker MKV
Top 3 Ways to Play MKV Video on Mac
As many Mac users have noticed, they can't play or open MKV files on Mac (Sierra included). What's the matter? MKV is a free, open source container format that holds different types and unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks, making it unrecognizable by a single player like QuickTime. Then how to watch MKV files on Mac? Don't worry, we collect 3 methods for you to successfully play MKV Mac.
- Part 1. Play MKV with All-in-one Wondershare Video Toolbox
- Part 2. Convert MKV to Mac-compatible Formats Online
- Part 3. Install Perian Plugin for QuickIime to Play MKV on Mac
Without further ado, I'd like to recommend you Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, which combines MKV player and MKV converter into one allowing you to free play MKV, MP4, MOV and over 1000 popular video formats and easily convert MKV formats to other supported formats for playing back on any player.
1. Play MKV on Mac with Wondershare Free MKV Player
Step 1 Add MKV to Wondershare Free MKV Player
Open Wondershare MKV player, drag and drop your MKV video to the MKV video player. Then the added MKV file will be loaded in video thumbnail.
Step 2 Play .mkv on Mac
Move the mouse over the MKV video thumbnail, you'd see a Play icon in the middle just as the screenshot shows.
Click the Play icon and you'll see the loaded MKV video starts playing immediately.
2. Convert MKV to MOV or Other Formats Supported with Wondershare MKV Converter Mac
Here we take converting MKV to MOV as example, see the detailed steps below.
Step 1 Launch Wondershare MKV Converter Mac, click + Add Files to browse your Mac and add your target MKV video to the program.
Step 2 Click the icon beside Convert all tasks to: to get the full list of the output formats, select Video > MOV and choose a video resolution in the right.
Tips: If you have a lot of MKV files and want to play them on other Apple devices like iPhone, iPad or iPod, you'd better convert MKV to optimized device. In short, you can choose any format or device you want (most popular format or devices are also supported here).
Step 3 Hit Convert All or Convert to start converting MKV videos on Mac. Once the MKV conversion completes, you can click the folder-like icon beside Convert in the bottom to get the converted .mov file. Now you can freely play MKV video with QuickTime player.
Here is an easier way for you to free convert MKV to other supported formats on Mac. With the online MKV converter tool AConvert, you don't need to install any program but start MKV conversion directly online.
- Open AConvert, click on Video from the Control Panel located on the left side first.
- Click on File > Browse button to add your MKV file.
- On Target Format, click on the down arrow and search for MOV or other format.
- Click on Convert Now to initiate MKV conversion. Once finished, you can find the converted MKV files under Conversion Results.
Perian is a free, open source QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats like the MKV. When you've had Perian installed, you have to quit QuickTime completely and then restart it.
Note that you don't realy close the QuickTime Window, actually it's still running in the background. Since only that way, QuickTime can update its format and encoding library. See the detailed steps below.
- Download Perian for QuickTime and double click to launch it.
- Drag and drop QuickTime components to Perian.
- Restart all programs related to QuickTime, including iTunes, QuickTime Player, your browser, etc.
Now you'll find that QuickTime now can magically support more diverse video formats: AVI, DivX, DivX 3.11 alpha, XviD, MS-MPEG4 v3, 3ivX, MS-MPEG4 v2, MS-MPEG4 v1, Truemotion VP6, Sorenson H.263, FLV and formats that an AVI file contains--AC3, AAC Audio, VBR MP3, mpeg4, and h.264. In short, feel free to play MKV files on Mac.