- 1. Play MKV on Device+
- 1.1 Play MKV on Apple TV
- 1.2 Play MKV on Samsung TV
- 1.3 Play MKV on Sony TV
- 1.4 Play MKV on LG TV
- 1.5 Play MKV on PS3
- 1.6 Play MKV on Xbox One
- 1.7 Play MKV on Xbox360
- 1.8 Play MKV to iPhone
- 1.9 Play MKV to iPad
- 1.10 Play MKV on iPod
- 1.11 Play MKV on Android Phone
- 1.12 Play MKV on Nexus 7
- 1.13 Play MKV in VLC
- 1.14 Play MKV in Windows Media Player
- 2. Convert MKV to Other Format+
- 2.1 Convert MKV to MP4
- 2.2 Convert MKV to MP3
- 2.3 Convert MKV to WMV
- 2.4 Convert MKV to M4V
- 2.5 Convert MKV to AVI
- 2.6 Convert MKV to AVI Online
- 2.7 Convert MKV to FLV
- 2.8 Convert MKV to DVD
- 2.9 Convert MKV to MOV
- 2.10 Convert MKV to VOB
- 2.11 Convert MKV to DivX
- 2.12 Convert MKV to MPEG
- 2.13 Convert MKV to MPEG2
- 2.14 Convert MKV to MPEG4
- 2.15 Convert MKV to XviD
- 2.16 Convert MKV to 3GP
- 2.17 Convert MKV to M2TS
- 2.18 Convert MKV to AVCHD
- 2.19 Convert MKV to H264
- 2.20 Convert MKV to TS
- 2.21 Convert MKV to VCD
- 3. Convert Other Format to MKV+
- 3.1 Convert M4V to MKV
- 3.2 Convert VOB to MKV
- 3.3 Convert RMVB to MKV
- 3.4 Convert MP4 to MKV
- 3.5 Convert WMV to MKV
- 3.6 Convert MOV to MKV
- 3.7 Convert DVD to MKV
- 3.8 Convert M2TS to MKV
- 3.9 Convert AVI to MKV
- 3.10 Convert Bluray to MKV
- 3.11 Convert FLV to MKV
- 3.12 Convert AVCHD to MKV
- 3.13 Convert OGM to MKV
- 3.14 Convert MTS to MKV
- 3.15 Convert WTV to MKV
- 4. Edit MKV & Other Tips+
- 4.1 Extract Subtitles from MKV
- 4.2 Add Substitles to MKV
- 4.3 Add SRT to MKV
- 4.4 Compress MKV Video
- 4.5 Reduce MKV File Size
- 4.6 Cut MKV Files
- 4.7 Edit MKV Metadata
- 4.8 MKV No Sound
- 4.9 MKV Video Player for Android
- 4.10 MKV Converter for Mac
- 4.11 MKV Player Mac
- 4.12 2D to 3D MKV Converter
- 4.13 Remux MKV
- 4.14 MKV Encoder
- 4.15 Convert MKV to FCP Mac
- 4.16 Stream MKV to TV with Chromecast
- 4.17 Import MKV to iMovie
- 4.18 Windows DVD Maker MKV
Many QuickTime users just realized that they can't play the MKV or HD MKV files in their Mac OS X (Sierra included). What's the matter? QuickTime player doesn't support the MKV or HD MKV files natively. So, is there any possible way to play an MKV file with QuickTime? Of course there is. Apart from QuickTime, there are various options for you to make it to play MKV file on Mac.
- Part 1. Convert MKV to Other Mac Supported Formats
- Part 2. Convert MKV with Online Video Converter Tool
- Part 3. Install Perian Plugin
Before heading to the detailed ways to play MKV on Mac, we'd better learn MKV format first. Actually, it's a free, open source container format that holds different types and unlimited number of video, audio, picture or subtitle tracks in one file. For instance, there might be an .avi file contained within an .mkv file. In short, an MKV file is not associated with a single player like QuickTime, which clearly explains why you fail to play MKV files in Mac.
If you have a lot of MKV files and want to play them on other Apple devices like iPhone, iPad or iPod, you'd better convert MKV to MP4, MOV or M4V. Here, I'd like to recommend you Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, which enables you to convert MKV to over 1000+ popular video format for various players, devices and applications.
Your Complete Video Toolbox
- Convert to 1000+ formats, like AVI, MKV, MOV, MP4, etc.
- Convert to optimized preset for almost all of the devices
- 30X faster conversion speed than any conventional converters
- Edit, enhance & personalize your video files
- Burn video to playable DVD with attractive free DVD template
- Download or record videos from video sharing sites
- Versatile toolbox combines fix video metadata, GIF maker, cast video to TV, VR converter and screen recorder
- Stream your videos from Windows or Mac to other devices, including Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Xbox 360 or PS3
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS X 10.12 (Sierra), 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6
In this case, you can convert MKV to MOV format, which is associated with QuickTime. See the detailed steps below.
Step 1 Directly drag your desired MKV files onto the interface, or click + Add Files to browse your Mac and load the MKV to the program.
Step 2 Click the icon beside Convert all tasks to: to get the full list of output format, go to Video > MOV and choose a video resolution in the right.
Tips: You can also choose MP4 or M4V format, anyway, you can choose any format or device you want (most popular format or devices are also supported here).
Step 3 Hit Convert All at the lower-right to start converting MKV videos. When the MKV conversion ends, you can click the Output folder in the bottom to get the converted .mov file. Now you can freely play MKV files with QuickTime without any hassle.
Here is an easier way. No need to install any programs. Just go to https://www.aconvert.com and convert MKV video online.
- Open the site and click on Video from its Control Panel located on the left side.
- Click on File > Browse button to add your MKV file.
- On Target Format, click on the down arrow and search for MOV or other format.
- Click on Convert Now to initiate MKV conversion. Once finished, you can find the converted MKV files under Conversion Results.
Part 3. Install Perian Plugin
Perian is a free, open source QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats like the MKV. When you've had Perian installed, you have to quit QuickTime completely and then restart it. Note that you don't realy close the QuickTime Window, actually it's still running in the background. Since only that way, QuickTime can update its format and encoding library.