- 1. Play MKV on Device+
- 1.1 Top MKV Player
- 1.2 Play MKV on Mac
- 1.3 Play MKV on Apple TV
- 1.4 Play MKV on Samsung TV
- 1.5 Play MKV on Sony TV
- 1.6 Play MKV on LG TV
- 1.7 Play MKV on PS3
- 1.8 Play MKV on Xbox One
- 1.9 Play MKV on Xbox360
- 1.10 Play MKV to iPhone
- 1.11 Play MKV to iPad
- 1.12 Play MKV on iPod
- 1.13 Play MKV on Android Phone
- 1.14 Play MKV on Nexus 7
- 1.15 Play MKV in VLC
- 1.16 Play MKV in Windows Media Player
- 1.17 MKV Playback Issues in VLC
- 2. Convert MKV to Other Format+
- 2.1 Convert MKV to MP4
- 2.2 Convert MKV to MP4 on Mac
- 2.3 Convert MKV to MP4 Online
- 2.4 Convert MKV to MP3
- 2.5 Convert MKV to Audio
- 2.6 Convert MKV to WMV
- 2.7 Convert MKV to M4V
- 2.8 Convert MKV to AVI
- 2.9 Convert MKV to AVI Online
- 2.10 Convert MKV to FLV
- 2.11 Convert MKV to DVD
- 2.12 Convert MKV to MOV
- 2.13 Convert MKV to iTunes
- 2.14 MKV to MOV Converter Online
- 2.15 Convert MKV to VOB
- 2.16 Convert MKV to DivX
- 2.17 Convert MKV to MPEG
- 2.18 Convert MKV to MPEG2
- 2.19 Convert MKV to MPEG4
- 2.20 Convert MKV to XviD
- 2.21 Convert MKV to 3GP
- 2.22 Convert MKV to M2TS
- 2.23 Convert MKV to AVCHD
- 2.24 Convert MKV to H264
- 2.25 Convert MKV to TS
- 2.26 Convert MKV to VCD
- 2.27 Convert MKV to AC3
- 2.28 Burn MKV to DVD
- 2.29 Burn MKV to Blu-ray
- 2.30 Convert MKV to SWF
- 3. Convert Other Format to MKV+
- 3.1 Convert MP4 to MKV
- 3.2 Convert MP4 to MKV on Mac
- 3.3 Convert MP4 to MKV Online
- 3.4 Convert M4V to MKV
- 3.5 Convert WMV to MKV
- 3.6 Convert MOV to MKV
- 3.7 Convert DVD to MKV
- 3.8 Convert M2TS to MKV
- 3.9 Convert AVI to MKV
- 3.10 Convert Bluray to MKV
- 3.11 Convert FLV to MKV
- 3.12 Convert AVCHD to MKV
- 3.13 Convert OGM to MKV
- 3.14 Convert MTS to MKV
- 3.15 Convert WTV to MKV
- 3.16 Convert VOB to MKV
- 3.17 Convert RMVB to MKV
- 3.18 YouTube to MKV
- 4. Edit MKV & Other Tips+
- 4.1 Extract Subtitles from MKV
- 4.2 Add Substitles to MKV
- 4.3 Add SRT to MKV
- 4.4 Compress MKV Video
- 4.5 Reduce MKV File Size
- 4.6 Cut MKV Files
- 4.7 Edit MKV Metadata
- 4.8 MKV No Sound
- 4.9 MKV Video Player for Android
- 4.10 MKV Converter for Mac
- 4.11 Free MKV Converter
- 4.12 MKV Player Mac
- 4.13 2D to 3D MKV Converter
- 4.14 Remux MKV
- 4.15 MKV Encoder
- 4.16 Convert MKV to FCP Mac
- 4.17 Stream MKV to TV with Chromecast
- 4.18 Import MKV to iMovie
- 4.19 Windows DVD Maker MKV
- 4.20 Convert MKV to MP4 with HandBrake Alternative
How to Convert DVD to MKV with Best DVD Rippers
Hunting for the best DVD ripper? Well, here’s one for you. Now you can convert DVD to MKV format without having to compromise with the quality of the video. MKV is a file format which can encompass audio, video, pictures and subtitle tracks in one single file while keeping the quality almost intact to that of DVDs. Ripping DVD to MKV will protect the content while preserving the original quality and moreover, having the content as MKV stored in the computer is always better than possessing a DVD with the same content. However, to not compromise on the original DVD quality and still get the format converted to MKV with a relatively lesser storage size is what you can expect from a good DVD to MKV converter. Here we will provide you 5 ways to convert MKV to DVD easily and quickly.
- Part 1. Best DVD to MKV Burner to Rip DVD to MKV
- Part 2. DVD to MKV Freeware: How to Convert DVD to MKV Mac with Handbrake
- Part 3. Other Free DVD to MKV Converters
There are various DVD rippers which can be used for ripping DVD to MKV file. But, while extracting the content and converting that to MKV; you would definitely not want to mess with the original quality. If you are searching for one such DVD ripper, Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) is the best tool you can ever come across. Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) helps you extract the DVD content and place that in a destination folder after a successful format conversion. So, if you even have a device which is incapable of playing high definition DVD video content, you can use this tool to convert DVD to MKV. Along with ripping and converting DVD to MKV, Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) has a world of incredible features and benefits.
Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) - Your Complete Video Toolbox for Windows/Mac
- Convert DVD to MKV with super fast speed and high quality video output.
- Burn MKV and other videos to DVD/Blu-ray disc with free menu templates.
- Support 1,000+ video formats such as MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, MPEG, etc.
- Download videos from YouTube and other 10,000+ video sharing sites by pasting URLs directly.
- Edit videos with Crop/Trim/Rotate/Watermarks/Effects and other customization features.
- Toolbox with additional functions like VR Convert, GIF Maker, Fix Media Metadata, Cast to TV, and more.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/2003/Vista/XP, Mac OS X 10.14 (Mojave), 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) with its composite and robust features still gives the simplest way to rip from DVD to MKV. The front end or the interface of the software program being extremely user-friendly is precisely designed to make it self-explanatory. Here’s how you can use this program to rip DVD to MKV:
Step 1 Install Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate)
First of all install Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) and launch the software program on the computer. The interface of the program can be seen below.
Step 2 Import DVD to Computer
Have the DVD inserted to the computer being used and then import the inserted DVD to make changes and appropriate settings.
Step 3 Load DVD in the Interface
Click Load DVD in the primary interface where you can load the DVD after you launch Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) program.
Step 4 Edit the DVD (If required)
This is an optional step which can be skipped if not required. The video file once loaded into the program from DVD can be edited based on your requirement. Click edit icons below the chosen video will open a new window with various editing features, where you can edit or adjust DVD file. After making required changes, you can click Save button.
Step 5 Choose MKV Output Format
Once you are done with editing the video, go ahead and choose the output format for the converted video. Specify the output format here as MKV to convert the extracted video file to MKV format. Click the drop-down button under Convert all files to section in the right and select MKV.
Step 6 Specify Destination Folder for Converted MKV
Once you have specified the output format, the last bit of settings is to specify the destination folder for the converted video files to get stored in. You can either keep the default output folder or change it to keep another one according to your requirement. Click on the option highlighted in the picture below to specify the output folder.
Step 7 Start DVD to MKV Buring Process
After everything is set, you can now go ahead and start the video conversion process. This is the final step and you can start the process by clicking on Convert button as shown in the picture given below.
The process will take some time depending on the size of the video file before you find it in the output folder. So this was the easiest way to convert DVD to MKV by using the Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate). Make sure you follow the steps above to get the best results. Or you can watch the video tutorial as follows.
Video Tutorial: Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) - Convert DVD to MKV
Part 2. DVD to MKV Freeware: How to Convert DVD to MKV Mac with Handbrake
There are DVD to MKV freeware conversion tools available as well and one such popularly used program is Handbrake. Compatible with Windows, Mac, and Linux systems, this open source video transcoder allows converting an array of multimedia files, DVD and Blu-ray files to MP4 and MKV format. A number of audio and video encoders are supported by the software. Additional features of this DVD to MKV converter free include live static, video preview, batch scanning, and others.
Steps to convert DVD to MKV using Handbrake:
Before proceeding with the steps below, you can either copy the contents of your DVD on your computer hard disk or insert the DVD into your computer and select files from the disc drive.
Step 1: Download, install, and open Handbrake program on your computer. Click the Source button to add the DVD files from your system.
Step 2: Under the Output settings, choose MKV as the desired target format. Also select other parameters like quality, audio track, but rate, audio sample rate, picture settings, and others.
Step 3: Click on the green Start button to start converting your DVD files to MKV format.
Part 3. Other Free DVD to MKV Converters
To facilitate DVD to MKV conversion, there are a number of other free methods available as well. Listed below are some popularly used solutions.
FFMPEG is a free to use software project that is based on the command line for processing video and audio files. The method allows recording, converting, as well as streaming a range of files and formats. This flexible multimedia framework also supports web hosting capabilities and includes different libraries.
Supported system: Linux, Windows, Mac, other OS
- A cross-platform solution that is compatible with all OS and platforms.
- Supports range formats, codecs, and filters.
- Confusing and difficult to use and implement.
Freemake is a simple yet powerful tool that allows converting and ripping your discs into MKV and other popular video formats. Depending on your requirements, you can rip DVD to MKV for the entire content of the disc or only a particular part. Additional features include support to over 500 formats for conversion, YouTube video upload, embedding video online; edit video files and others.
Supported system: Windows
- Simple, clean, and easy to use interface.
- This DVD to MKV freeware allows converting the entire DVD or a part of it as well.
- The converted files have a watermark.
OGMRip is a good DVD to MKV converter for the users working on Ubuntu systems. This application includes a set of libraries that allows ripping as well as encode the discs into AVI, MP4, OGM and Matroska files having an array of codecs. To get the task done, the app uses mplayer, ogmtools, MKVtoolnix, lame, mencoder, and others.
Supported system: Ubuntu
- This DVD to mkv ripper supports an array of codecs for conversion.
- Automatically detects cropping parameters of the file.
- The app is confusing to use.