- TRY FREE TRY FREE
- 1. Convert Video to Any Format+
- 1.1 Easy Way to Play Quicktime Video
- 1.2 MOV vs MP4
- 1.3 Top 7 MP4 Converter Downloader
- 1.4 Anything to MP4
- 1.5 WebM vs MP4
- 1.6 FLV vs MP4
- 1.7 Convert Stereo to Mono Easily
- 1.8 MPEG vs MP4
- 1.9 Convert VHS to Digital
- 1.10 Top 5 Mono to Stereo Converters
- 1.11 Convert Anything to Anything
- 1.12 10 Ways to Turn Video into Audio
- 1.13 Top 10 Song to Ringtone Converters
- 1.14 Easy Steps to Convert Video to Live Photos
- 1.15 Trim Videos on Windows Media Player
- 1.16 Best Tools to Trim MP4
- 1.17 Convert TS to MP4 with VLC
- 1.18 Easy Steps to Convert Videos to MIDI Files in 2020
- 1.19 How Can You Convert MP4 to MIDI Format in 2020
- 1.20 How to Convert WMA to MP4 Format with VLC in 2020
- 1.22 Best Way to Convert 3GPP to Other Formats in 2020
- 1.23 How to Use Handbrake to Convert WebM to Any Video Format
- 2. Convert Picture to Any Format+
- 3. Tips and Tricks+
- 3.1 What is FLV File
- 3.2 What is M4A File
- 3.3 What is TS File
- 3.4 What is FLAC File
- 3.5 What is AAC Format
- 3.6 What is AAC Audio
- 3.7 What is Cloudconvert
- 3.8 What is MXF File
- 3.9 9 Zamzar converter Alternatives
- 3.10 10 Best Free Key Converters
- 3.11 Free VLC Batch Convert Feature
- 3.12 How to Convert Files
- 3.13 Top 10 Easy Converters
- 3.14 Top 11 Video Clip Converters
- 3.15 Tips and Tricks for Converting It
- 3.16 Online Convert Com Alternative
- 3.17 10 Vector Converters Alternative
- 3.18 How to Open ISO File
- 3.19 Freemake Video Converter Review
- 3.20 Top 10 Online Converter MP4
- 3.21 Top 10 File Type Converters
- 3.22 Top 9 Free Logo Converters
- 3.23 FQA about Windows Media Video
- 3.24 Top 6 Free Sound Converters
- 3.25 Best Apple Compressor Alternative
- 3.26 Top 9 ISO Extractors
- 3.27 AVI vs MP4
- 3.28 10 Solutions to Combine Files
- 3.29 Top 8 TS File Players
- 3.30 6 Tips for Converting SWF Files in 2020
- 3.31 Best Way to Convert MIDI to WAV Format in 2020
- 3.32How to Convert WAV to MIDI Format in 2020
- 3.33 5 Recommended Ways to Convert AC3 Format in 2020
- 3.34 Simple Steps to Convert WMA Format to iTunes Format in 2020
- 3.35 Top 3 Nintendo 3DS Converters
FLV vs MP4 |How to Choose between FLV or MP4 Format
If you’re looking for an insightful comparison of the FLV vs. MP4 showdown, this is the right page. The world is currently lucky to have a myriad of digital video formats. This technology enables us to watch videos on any platform smoothly. However, choosing the right video format might need some extensive knowledge. Lucky for you, I’ve already done the digging work to help you choose between FLV and MP4 formats.
- Part 1. The FAQ About FLV and MP4
- Part 2. The Best Software to Convert FLV and MP4 on Windows and Mac
- Part 3. Online Free Steps of Converting FLV and MP4
What is FLV?
FLV (Flash Video) is a container audiovisual format that was developed by Adobe Systems in 2002. It comes with a .flv file extension and is used to stream digital video content like movies and TV shows online using Adobe Flash Player 6 or newer. Sometimes, FLV contents may be embedded inside SWF files. It’s also paramount to note that Flash Video can come in either FLV or F4V formats. Lastly, you can play FLV using MPlayer, RealPlayer, Winamp, VLC, Media Player Classic, and Adobe Media Player. Mac users can also use the QuickTime to open FLV files, though with additional components like the Perian.
What is MP4?
MP4, on the other hand, is a MPEG-4 video format that has a .mp4 file extension. It was created in 2001 by the Motion Picture Experts Group in conjunction with the International Organization for Standardization. The first version of MP4 (MPEG-4 Part 12) was established in 2001 and is based on the popular MOV (QuickTime File Format). The current version of MP4 is MPEG-4 Part 14 and was released in 2003. It can hold different data like text, video, and audio. You can easily play MP4 files using any media player on Macs, PCs, and other mobile devices.
So, is FLV better than MP4? Although FLV offers vivid pictures and clear sounds, it still can’t compare to the universal MP4 format. This standardized video format is compatible with all video players and websites. Apart from desktops, you can also open MP4 on iDevices and Android smoothly. Therefore, MP4 wins without an iota of doubt.
If you want to convert FLV and MP4 to another video or audio format, use the Wondershare UniConverter to do that losslessly. This desktop app is lightweight, powerful, and straightforward to use. It also supports batch conversion. Therefore, you can transcode MP4 and FLV to MP3, MOV, VOB, AAC, and many other target formats concurrently. It also allows video editing by cropping, cutting, adding watermarks, applying effects, and more.
Wondershare UniConverter - Your All-in-One Tool
- Convert between all standard audio/image/video formats with lossless quality.
- Convert movies files to optimized preset for almost all devices.
- Download videos from popular sites like YouTube, Dailymotion, Vevo, etc.
- It has a 90X faster conversion speed than any conventional converters.
- Edit, enhance & personalize your videos file.
- Download/record videos from YouTube and other 10,000 video sharing sites.
- Versatile toolbox combines video metadata, GIF maker, video compressor, and screen recorder.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7, macOS 11 Big Sur, 10.15, 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Step 1 Add your videos.
After free downloading, installing, and running this video converter, drop your MP4 and FLV videos on the Video Converter window. Alternatively, open the button to load locally saved videos.
Step 2 Select a target format.
Next, tap the Output Format button then choose either the Audio or the Video tab. You can also click the Device to select a device-specific preset.
Step 3 Convert your videos.
Now choose a folder path for your converted videos. After that, tap the Start All, and Wondershare UniConverter will transcode your video to your target format quickly.
Apart from the Wondershare UniConverter, these top-class free conversion sites will also transcode your FLV and MP4 videos to any format. Take a look!
Online-Convert is a free video converter that supports all video formats, MP4 and FLV included. Here, you can encode FLV/MP4 to any video format in batch. It can also convert videos from local storage, URL links, and Cloud storage. More importantly, Online-Convert can change vital video settings like size, bitrate, frame rate, as well as cut videos. Don’t forget that Online-Convert can also crop videos from top to bottom and left to right.
- Nice, intuitive UI.
- It offers several target formats.
- Edits videos.
- Ad-infested UI.
- It has a slow upload and conversion.
ConvertFiles is another great FLV and MP4 converter that supports a variety of formats, codecs, containers, and file attributes. It can convert MP4/FLV to VOB, 3GP, MPEG-2, MOV, and more. And after the conversion, ConvertFiles will delete your file after an hour to maintain maximum data security. Unfortunately, ConvertFiles doesn’t support the downloading and transcoding of data from YouTube, Vimeo, and many other video-sharing websites.
- Easy to use.
- It converts several video formats.
- Fast conversion.
- Ads on the interface.
- It cannot download videos.
Convertio has been bossing the online file conversion space for a while now, thanks to the 200+ supported formats. From WebM to MP4 and FLV to 3GP, Convertio offers it all. It also supports the changing of video quality, codec, size, sampling rate, and bitrate. More fundamentally, Convertio is a secure site that uses SSL encryption.
- It supports several formats.
- It allows video editing.
- Fast conversions.
- A few ads.
- Can’t transcode more than 100MB.
Convert Files is an impressive conversion site that transcodes anything to anything. It can convert FLV/MP4 to WMV, 3GP, VOB, MJPEG, MPG, and more. Convert Files also allows users to change their video quality to either low, moderate, high, or very high. You can also change the size with more than 20 ready-made presets. However, this site is full of ads, so be careful.
- It converts several video formats.
- Edits videos.
- Quick conversions.
- Ad-laden interface.
- It can’t download videos.
Our last online conversion option is Online Converter. It’s simple, fast, and converts several video formats. Here, you’ll transcode MP4 to VOB, MTS, MPG, FLV, AVCHD, and more. Even better, Online Converter can upload videos from a URL link of your choice. It can also edit the file size as well as cut videos. Sadly, the free version of this app has ads everywhere.
- It supports various formats.
- Decent video editing functions.
- Downloads videos from URL links.
- It can’t upload more than 200MB.
- Ad-infested UI.
So was this article helpful? I’m sure it is. With the Wondershare UniConverter, you can convert files offline to any format you wish. And yes, don’t forget to use the “Transfer” function to send your videos to any device effortlessly.