- 1. Convert Video to Any Format+
- 1.1 Easy Way to Play Quicktime Video
- 1.2 MOV vs MP4
- 1.3 Top 7 MP4 Converter Downloader
- 1.4 Anything to MP4
- 1.5 WebM vs MP4
- 1.6 FLV vs MP4
- 1.7 Convert Stereo to Mono Easily
- 1.8 MPEG vs MP4
- 1.9 Convert VHS to Digital
- 1.10 Top 5 Mono to Stereo Converters
- 1.11 Convert Anything to Anything
- 1.12 10 Ways to Turn Video into Audio
- 1.13 Top 10 Song to Ringtone Converters
- 1.14 Easy Steps to Convert Video to Live Photos
- 1.15 Trim Videos on Windows Media Player
- 1.16 Best Tools to Trim MP4
- 1.17 Convert TS to MP4 with VLC
- 1.18 Easy Steps to Convert Videos to MIDI Files in 2020
- 1.19 How Can You Convert MP4 to MIDI Format in 2020
- 1.20 How to Convert WMA to MP4 Format with VLC in 2020
- 1.21 5 Simple Methods to Convert YouTube Video to WMA Format in 2020
- 1.22 Best Way to Convert 3GPP to Other Formats in 2020
- 2. Convert Picture to Any Format+
- 3. Tips and Tricks+
- 3.1 What is FLV File
- 3.2 What is M4A File
- 3.3 What is TS File
- 3.4 What is FLAC File
- 3.5 What is AAC Format
- 3.6 What is AAC Audio
- 3.7 What is Cloudconvert
- 3.8 What is MXF File
- 3.9 9 Zamzar converter Alternatives
- 3.10 10 Best Free Key Converters
- 3.11 Free VLC Batch Convert Feature
- 3.12 How to Convert Files
- 3.13 Top 10 Easy Converters
- 3.14 Top 11 Video Clip Converters
- 3.15 Tips and Tricks for Converting It
- 3.16 Online Convert Com Alternative
- 3.17 10 Vector Converters Alternative
- 3.18 How to Open ISO File
- 3.19 Freemake Video Converter Review
- 3.20 Top 10 Online Converter MP4
- 3.21 Top 10 File Type Converters
- 3.22 Top 9 Free Logo Converters
- 3.23 FQA about Windows Media Video
- 3.24 Top 6 Free Sound Converters
- 3.25 Best Apple Compressor Alternative
- 3.26 Top 9 ISO Extractors
- 3.27 AVI vs MP4
- 3.28 10 Solutions to Combine Files
- 3.29 Top 8 TS File Players
- 3.30 6 Tips for Converting SWF Files in 2020
- 3.31 Best Way to Convert MIDI to WAV Format in 2020
- 3.32How to Convert WAV to MIDI Format in 2020
- 3.33 5 Recommended Ways to Convert AC3 Format in 2020
- 3.34 Simple Steps to Convert WMA Format to iTunes Format in 2020
MPEG vs MP4 - The Quest for the Best Video Format
Gone are the dull days when you had to watch your favorite movies using either a TV or projector. Today, you can stream, download, and watch videos on-the-go thanks to portable devices like laptops, tablets, and smartphones. However, if you want to watch movies smoothly, you must learn the various file formats and their pros and cons. So in this guidepost, we’ll be discussing the MPEG vs MP4 comparison in detail. Keep reading!
- Part 1. MPEG vs MP4 - which is the best choice
- Part 2. Fast solution for converting MPEG and MP4 on Mac and Windows
- Part 3. How to convert MPEG and MP4 free online
What is MPEG Format?
MPEG is a Moving Pictures Experts Group video file that is compressed using MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 compression. Typically, MPEG files come with a .mpg or .mpeg file extensions. There are many MPEG formats, including MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 (for streaming DVD contents), MPEG-7, and MPEG-21. Because MPEG files are highly compatible, they can be opened using various programs like QuickTime, VLC, iTunes, and Windows Media Player. However, Windows Media Player users must install a MPEG-2 encoder. Also, MPEG files aren’t compatible with most mobile devices.
What is MP4?
MP4, also called MPEG-4, is a standard video format that was developed by Moving Pictures Experts Group. It is compressed using MPEG-4 video encoding and AAC audio. Unlike other MPEG formats, MPEG-4 can store still images, subtitles, video, audio, and other essential data. Today, MP4 is the most popular video format that can open on any multimedia player. You can enjoy MP4 files on VLC, QuickTime, Windows Media Player, and more. You don’t even need to install additional codecs to play MP4 files on any device.
Although MPEG is excellent for backing up videos on DVDs or CDs, you can do more with MP4 instead. That’s because MP4 is supported on any device and can be used to back up movies on optical discs as well. So, in short, you should choose MP4 for smoother playback.
Wondershare UniConverter will convert any video format, including MP4 and MPEG. It can transcode MPEG and MP4 to VOB, M2TS, HEVC, and many more. It also includes several ready-made formats like Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo, Facebook, Apple TV, and more. What’s more, the UniConverter can edit videos by cutting, cropping, changing effects, adding captions, and more.
Wondershare UniConverter - Your All-in-One Tool
- Convert MPEG/MP4 to all standard video formats like DV, MTS, 3GP, MOV, and more.
- Convert movies files to optimized preset for almost all devices.
- Download videos from popular sites like YouTube, Dailymotion, Vevo, etc.
- 30X faster conversion speed than any conventional converters.
- Edit, enhance & personalize your videos file.
- Download/record videos from YouTube and other 10,000 video sharing sites.
- Versatile toolbox combines video metadata, GIF maker, cast video to TV, video compressor, and screen recorder.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Step 1 Add your videos.
Start by installing and running this MPEG/MP4 converter then drop your MPEG and MP4 file on the Video Converter window. An alternative way is to tap the to import your local MPEG and MPE4 files.
Step 2 Choose a format.
Next, click the Output Format: menu then select either the Audio or the Video tab. To choose a device-ready format, click the Device tab.
Step 3 Convert your videos.
Set a folder path by clicking the File Location then tap the Start All to complete the process. Wondershare MP4 and MPEG converter will transcode your videos quickly and losslessly.
It’s always a great idea to have several options when it comes to file converters. With that in mind, you can use these MP4/MPEG converters:
Want to convert MPG and MPEG on a straightforward platform? Visit Convertio today! It’s effortless to use and offers over 120 MP4 and MPEG conversions. It supports target formats like OGV, ASF, M4V, TS, FLV, and more. On top of that, Convertio supports adjusting video settings like codecs, quality, size, audio volume, etc. However, Convertio doesn’t transcode files more than 100MB.
- Supports the adjusting of video settings.
- Offers 120 MP4/MPG conversions.
- Imports videos via URL.
- Small upload size.
- Ads on the UI.
Online-Convert is undoubtedly a nice file converter to use. Not only is it simple enough for everyone to understand, but it also supports any audio, video, image, archive, and document format. It can convert MP4 and MP4 to all standard video formats simultaneously. It can also change your video settings like codec, bitrate, size, and more. However, Online-Convert’s interface is ad-infested.
- Supports various video formats.
- Simple to use.
- Imports URL and Cloud videos.
- Ads on interface.
- Slow upload and conversion.
Online Video Converter is a free, fast, and legit video converter. It’s easy to navigate and supports 300+ video formats. It can convert MP4/MPEG to HEVC, FLV, MOV, Xvid, and more. This site also offers up to a mind-blowing 2GB memory size for you to upload and convert videos freely. On the flip side, Online Video Converter is an ad-laden website.
- Simple to use.
- Supports plenty of video and audio formats.
- Free for all.
- Limited upload size.
- Ad-laden site.
Since its inception in 2008, FreeFileConvert has converted over 20 million files amounting to about 150TB. With this kind of mind-blowing statistics in mind, it’s difficult to doubt the legitimacy of this site. FreeFileConvert can transcode MP4/MPEG files from URL, Cloud, or local storage to any video and audio format. And yes, the platform is super-simple to use.
- Easy to use.
- Supports multiple digital media formats.
- Fast uploading speed.
- 300MiB is the maximum upload size
- Ads on the interface.
Coolutils is a cool, free online converter that converts audio, document, image, and video formats. It can convert your MPEG/MP4 videos to any format in batch with just three steps. Even better, it supports device-specific formats like iPhone, iPod, and more. However, Coolutils has a slow upload speed. Worse still, the UI is ad-infested.
- Simple to understand.
- Supports batch conversion.
- Sends a download link.
- Several ads on the UI.
- Slow upload speed.
Zamzar supports conversion of 1000+ formats. It can convert MPEG or MP4 to AVI, 3GP, MOV, FLV, and more. Just follow the numbered steps to convert your videos seamlessly. However, Zamzar doesn’t change your video settings. Also, this site can’t support files more than 200MiB. But that aside, it’s challenging to find a site that supports 1000+ formats.
- Straightforward to understand.
- Supports multiple video formats.
- Send the download URL to email.
- No additional editing tools.
- Small upload size.
Did I leave out your favorite file conversion site? Hope not! That aside, you can always use the Wondershare UniConverter for faster, quality, and offline conversions.