- 1. Convert WMV to Other Format+
- 1.1 Convert WMV to MP4
- 1.2 Convert WMV to MP4 Mac
- 1.3 Convert WMV to MP4 Online
- 1.4 Convert WMV to MOV
- 1.5 Convert WMV to MOV Mac
- 1.6 WMV to MOV Converter Online
- 1.7 Import WMV to Final Cut Pro
- 1.8 Convert WMV to MP3
- 1.9 Convert WMV to AVI
- 1.10 Convert WMV to GIF
- 1.11 Convert WMV to VLC Online
- 1.12 Convert WMV to DVD
- 1.13 Burn WMV to DVD
- 1.14 WMV to MKV Converter Online
- 1.15 WMV to WMA Converter
- 1.16 Convert WMV to FLV
- 1.17 Convert WMV to MPG
- 1.18 Convert WMV to Apple
- 1.19 Convert WMV to WAV
- 1.20 WMV to AVI Converter Online
- 1.21 Convert WMV to VOB
- 1.22 WMV to SWF Converter
- 2. Convert Other Format to MP4+
- 2.1 Convert MP4 to WMV
- 2.2 Convert MP4 to WMV Online
- 2.3 MP4 to WMV Converter
- 2.4 Convert MOV to WMV
- 2.5 Convert MOV to WMV Online
- 2.6 MOV to WMV Converter
- 2.7 Convert YouTube to WMV
- 2.8 Convert AVI to WMV
- 2.9 Convert QuickTime to WMV
- 2.10 Convert FLV to WMV
- 2.11 Convert WLMP to WMV
- 2.12 Convert VOB to WMV
- 2.13 Convert MP3 to WMV
- 2.14 Convert MKV to WMV
- 2.15 Convert M4V to WMV
- 2.16 Convert 3GP to WMV
- 2.17 Convert MTS to WMV
- 2.18 Convert WAV to WMV Online
- 2.19 Convert WebM to WMV
- 2.20 Convert VLC to WMV
- 2.21 MTS to WMV Converter
- 2.22 Convert DAT to WMV
- 2.23 Convert VOB to WMV
- 2.24 Convert AVCHD to WMV
- 2.25 Export Final Cut Pro to WMV
- 3. WMV Tools & Tips+
"I just switched to a Mac and I'm having trouble opening certain videos. All software is up to date including QuickTime. Is there a way I can watch my old WMV videos on Mac?"
If you are a Mac user, you will sometimes run into content in WMV format that you may want to play on your Apple device. Unfortunately, Microsoft discontinued Windows Media Player for Mac back in 2006, which means the proprietary codecs of WMV are no longer supported and won't open on Mac OS. Don't worry, here we collect a few easy solutions that help to play WMV video on Mac.
- Part 1. Recommended WMV Converter to Convert WMV to Mac Formats
- Part 2. 3 Quick Solutions to Play WMV Video on Mac
- Part 3. 3 QuickTime Alternatives to Play WMV Video on Mac
Without further ado, we'd like to recommend Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, with which you can easily and quickly convert WMV to QuickTime compatible formats like MOV, AVI and MP4 on both Mac and Windows system. Furthermore, it not only converts between over 1000 video and audio formats, but offers optimized presets allowing you to enjoy WMV videos directly on Mac, iPhone, iPad or edit it on iMovie and Final Cut Pro.
Your Complete Video Toolbox
- Convert WMV to 1000+ formats, like MOV, AVI, MKV, MP4, etc.
- Convert to optimized preset for almost all of the devices
- 30X faster conversion speed than any conventional converters
- Edit, enhance & personalize your video files
- Burn video to playable DVD with attractive free DVD template
- Download or record videos from video sharing sites
- Versatile toolbox combines fix video metadata, GIF maker, cast video to TV, VR converter and screen recorder
- Stream your videos from Windows or Mac to other devices, including Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV, Xbox 360 or PS3
- Supported OS: Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave), 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6, Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista
How to Convert WMV to Mac Supported Format with Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
First of all, you need to download Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate on your Mac, make sure you're downloading the corresponding Mac version. Then launch the decent Mac video converter and follow the steps below.
Step 1 Click the + Add Files in the top-left to import the target WMV video you want to play on Mac, or direcly drag and drop it to Wondershare WMV converter for Mac.
Note: Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate supports batch conversion, which means you can convert multiple WMV files at one time.
Step 2 To successfully play WMV videos on Mac, we need to choose Mac compatible format as output format here. Go to Target section and click to expand the full list of output format, then choose Video & MP4 and select a resolution in the right.
Step 3 Click Convert All would start converting WMV to Mac format right away. Once the WMV conversion for Mac finishes, you can switch to the Converted tab to get the converted WMV video file that is full compatible with Mac OS.
Solution 1: Updating VLC to the Latest Version
If you haven't used VLC in a while, your video player might be outdated. To update VLC, launch it on your Mac and then click Check for Updates on the main menu. If an update is available, the program will ask for your permission to install it. Click Yes to start downloading the update. After a successful download, the install wizard will again ask for permission to continue. Click Install to finish updating VLC.
After updating to the latest version of VLC, try playing your WMV file to see if it works.
Solution 2: Removing DRM Protection
Microsoft uses DRM (Digital Rights Management) technology to protect copyrighted media files from piracy. If you purchase or download WMV movies from Windows Media Player Center, Amazon Video on Demand, BBC iPlayer or other video stores, the video files are likely to have DRM protection and you will only be able to play them on Microsoft software.
Solution 3: Installing WMV Plugin on Mac
Another solution to playing WMV on Mac is installing a plugin that supports Windows media formats. The most popular of these is Flip4Mac. This free plugin from Telestream allows QuickTime player to open WMV and WMA files. It also supports WMV in Safari, Firefox and Chrome and features a clean, easy to use interface.
While a good solution for many, this plugin isn't currently supported on Snow Leopard, Yosemite or El Capitan. Users running Lion and Mountain Lion also claim it doesn't work.
1. Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
You don't need to install other media players if you already have Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate on your system. This application features a solid built-in player that is capable of handling all the popular formats available today. Powered by advanced audio and video technology, this media player will give you an amazing cinema-like experience with superior control over video, sound and subtitle settings.
To play a video on Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, simply drag and drop your video file on the interface and then click on the video thumbnail to start playing the video.
2. VLC Media Player
VLC is a popular a cross-platform media player that can effortlessly handle WMV video. It is also capable of playing a wide range of other video and audio formats. The only drawback of VLC for Mac is that users may need to search, download and install additional codec packages in order to allow VLC to open WMV files.
This is a free media player for Mac that is capable to playing WMV videos without the need of installing extra third-party plug-ins. In addition to WMV video format, 5KPlayer for Mac can also play most mainstream video and audio formats including WMA, AVI, MOV, MP3, MKV, MP4, FLV, 3GP, MOV, DivX, AAC, FLAC, OGG and more.
WMV is short for Windows Media Video, one of the most popular video formats available today. It was developed by Microsoft to be a standard media format for all Microsoft Supported devices and operating systems, and to rival RealNetwork's RealVideo formats. A major advantage of WMV over other file formats is its high compression ratio that allows it to significantly reduce video file sizes without compromising quality. This makes it a good choice for streaming and sharing video files across the internet.