- 1. Compress Video in Different Formats+
- 2. Compress Video from Devices/Apps +
- 3. Compress Video with Different Apps +
- 4. Compress Video for Different Purposes +
- 5. Other Tips & Tricks +
- 5.1 Full Guide to Compress Video
- 5.2 Free Video Compressors
- 5.3 Top 5 Online MP3 Size Reducers
- 5.4 Top 8 Video Size Reducers for Android
- 5.5 Free MP4 Compressors
- 5.6 Top 7 Video Compressors
- 5.7 Top 10 Video Compressor for Mac
- 5.8 Top Audio Compressors
- 5.9 Compress Files to Small Size
- 5.10 Compress HD/FHD (4K/1080P) Videos
- 5.11 Compress A Video
3 Ways to Reduce Video Size with VLC
VLC Media Player is such an effective player that not only plays audio and video but enables you to resize video, cut video and convert video. However, not many of us are aware of VLC video compression function, here we'll covert 3 specific methods on how VLC reduces video size as well as the best VLC alternative to compress video professionally for your reference.
- Part 1. Convert Video to Smaller Size Format
- Part 2. Change the Video Bitrate/Frame Rate
- Part 3. Cut/Crop Unnecessary Video Segment
- Part 4. Best VLC Alternative-Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
Considering some formats like MKV and AVI occupy too much space, it's smart to convert video to smaller size formats like FLV, WMV, etc. Then you'd be happy to learn that VLC enables you to convert video/audio files without having to install any other additional software and allows you to reduce video size to some extent. Below is the detailed toturial on how VLC converts videos.
- Download, install VLC Media Player and open it. The download URL is https://VLC-media-player.en.softonic.com/.
- Go to Menu and click on Media > Convert/save and select the video you need clicking on Add > Convert/Save when you were done.
- Select the type of profile you want to convert the video.
- Start VLC video compression selecting Start button.
Different video parameters like frame rate, resolution, etc. also influence video size. So another way to use VLC resize the video for gaining more space on your memory device and make easy to upload to any website like YouTube is to change the video parameters like frame rate, bitrate.
Repeat the tutorial of converting video to smaller size format in Part 1, then click on Settings under profile section and then click on Video Codec tab and enter the height and the width of the video, please keep in mind that the the aspect ratio should be the same as before to keep the better quality.
To shrink the video size, you can also use VLC to cut unwanted part and generate a new video. The detailed steps are as follows.
Step 1: Open VLC Media Player, click on Menu > View Menu > Advanced Controls.
Step 2: Play the video that you want and click the Record button on the scene you want to crop and stop it where you want to crop by clicking the same button.
Step 3: The video will save automatically in Library > Videos for Windows7, 8 and in My Documents > My videos in Windows XP.
Indeed, VLC Media Player is one of the best free video players, but it's not the best video reducer that only uses some basic settings instead of advanced settings to reduce video size. Therefore, we recommend a better resizing as an alternative: Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, the all-in-one video toolbox capable of video conversion, compression, download, recording, editing, burning and more.
Best Video Compressor for Windows / Mac (Mojave included)
- Reduce video size more efficiently than VLC video compression tool.
- Facilitates changing file parameters like bitrate, frame rate, resolution, and quality to resize video.
- Allows to crop or trim video to reduce the size.
- Comes with pre-defined formats compatible with an array of devices.
- Burn video to playable DVD with attractive free DVD template.
- Download or record videos from video sharing sites.
- Versatile toolbox includes fixing video metadata, GIF maker, casting video to TV, VR converter and screen recorder.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave), 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6
How to Reduce Video Size with Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate
Step 1 Add Video to Wondershare Video Compressor
Firstly, you would have to download and install the application. Then move on to open it and go to Convert option, and then click on Converting tab. Proceed to click on Add files and you will see a window showing the video files on your computer, just select the videos you want to reduce video size and click on Open to load the videos.
Step 2 Reduce Your Video in Different Ways
With Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, you can downsize your video through 3 aspects: choose a video format with smaller size, trim or crop your video with smart editing features, and adjust the video parameters like resolution, frame rate, encoder and more.
- Choose a video format with smaller size: Click besides Convert all files to:, then select Video tab and choose a format, for example, MP4, WMV or FLV whose size is smaller than others.
- Trim or crop video: Click the Trim or Crop icon under the video thumbnail to enter the trimming or cropping window to resize the video size, learn the deatailed steps here.
- Adjust video parameters: To further shrink the video size, click the Edit icon or + Create Custom to get Setting window, where you can change the resolution, frame rate and more manually or just click on Small Size to get the smaller size intelligently.
Step 3 Start Reducing Videos
Once you're satisfied with above settings, the VLC alternative will start reducing video size by a simple click on Convert All.
So if you want to make VLC reduce video size and reproduce your HD videos without advanced editing requirements, VLC Media Player is a good choice. But if you have high-level requirements to reduce video size, we suggest you to use Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate.