- 1. Convert to DVD+
- 2. Tips for Playing DVD+
- 3. Convert DVD to Video+
- 3.1 Convert DVD to MP4
- 3.2 Convert DVD to MP4 Free
- 3.3 Convert DVD to MP4 VLC
- 3.4 Convert DVD to AVI Free
- 3.5 Convert DVD to DivX/Xvid
- 3.6 Convert DVD to MP3 Free
- 3.7 DVD to iPad
- 3.8 Convert DVD to Digital Files
- 3.9 Convert DVD to AVI with Handbrake
- 3.10 Convert DVD to MPEG
- 3.11 Convert DVD to MKV
- 3.12 Download DVD to Computer
- 4. Other DVD Tips & Tricks +
- 4.1 Import DVD to iTunes
- 4.2 Stream DVD to TV
- 4.3 Edit VOB or DVD Files
- 4.4 Cast DVD to Chromecast
- 4.5 Compress Video for DVD
- 4.6 Windows DVD Maker Won't Burn MOV
- 4.7 Windows DVD Maker Not Burn AVI
- 4.8 Fix Windows DVD Maker Won't Burn MKV Issue
- 4.9 Alternatives to Nero DVD Burner
- 4.10 Top 5 Audio DVD Burners
- 4.11 Online DVD Burners
How to Download DVD to Computer on Windows/Mac
Storing physical DVDs not only creates space issues but also a risk of scratching and damaging them. Moreover, playing these disc videos on your portable players may be a problem. In all such situations, the best solution is to download DVD to computer. The downloaded disc on your system can be accessed quickly and the risk of physical damage also eliminates. Next, coming to the question of how to download DVD to computer and playback easily on any device? For this, we are here provide you the best and free ways to download DVDs to Mac/PC easily.
- Part 1. Best Way to Download DVD to Mac/Windows and Playback without Trouble
- Part 2. How to Download DVD to Mac for Free
- Part 3. How to Free Download DVD to Computer Windows 10 Using VLC
Part 1. Best Way to Download DVD to Mac/Windows and Playback without Trouble
There are a number of tools available to download DVD to Mac and Windows system. To get the task done in high-quality and in a hassle-free way, a professional tool like Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) is recommended. This versatile video-toolbox facilitates downloading your DVD/Blu-ray disc to your computer in an array of popular video formats. The files on your discs are downloaded and converted to any format with advanced features and no quality loss. The files on your disc can also be edited using features like trimming, cropping, adding special effects, and others for complete customization. Wondershare UniConverter allows adding the DVD content to the software interface directly for the process. There is an option to add the main file or all the files for the process. Windows and Mac version of the program is available for download.
Note: Wondershare UniConverter reminds you that you should download non-protected DVDs for personal use, otherwise, you may be in legal risk.
Wondershare UniConverter - Best DVD Converter for Windows/Mac (Catalina Included)
- Download DVDs/Blu-ray disc to Mac/Windows and playback easily.
- Convert DVD to MP4, MOV, AVI, WMV, FLV, MKV and other 1000+ formats.
- Download DVD videos with 30X faster speed and no quality loss.
- Edit videos with trimming, cropping, adding watermarks, applying effects, adding watermark, and more.
- Burn and customize DVD with free menu templates in different themes.
- Download or record videos from YouTube and other 10,000+ video sharing sites.
- Transfer videos from computer to iPhone, iPad and other devices directly and vice versa.
- Versatile toolbox: Add video metadata, GIF maker, cast video to TV, video compressor, and screen recorder.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Steps on How to Download DVD to Mac using Wondershare UniConverter:
Firstly, you should free download and quick install Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) on your PC/Mac, then launch it and insert the DVD that you want to download into the disc drive of your computer. Next, follow the simple steps below to download DVD to Mac. If you're Windows user, you can also follow similar steps on your Windows 10/8/7 and others.
Step 1 Launch Wondershare DVD downloader and load DVD files
Run Wondershare UniConverter on your Mac and from the main interface, select the Convert section. At the Converting tab, open the drop-down menu beside +Load DVD option and then selected the DVD drive disc where your disc is inserted. A new pop-up menu will appear showing options to select from Main Movie or All Movie. Choose as desired and click on the Load button.
Step 2 Edit DVD videos (Optional)
The files will be added to the software and can be seen on the interface. Under the thumbnail image, the icons for editing appear. Choose the desired icon to open the settings window to make desired changes. This is an optional step and can be skipped if video editing is not required.
Step 3 Choose the target format
Next, you need to select the video format to which you want your disc files to be downloaded and converted. Open the drop-down menu at the Convert all tasks to: option on the top-right corner of the interface. Select the desired format from the Video tab. Keep resolution as the source file or select from the available preset options.
Step 4 Download DVD videos to computer
At the Output tab, select Mac location where you want your downloaded file to be saved. Finally, click on the Convert All button to start downloading your DVD videos to your system in the desired format. You can find the downloaded and converted videos from the Converted tab soon.
Part 2. How to Download DVD to Mac for Free
If you are in search of a free solution to download your DVD on your Mac system for free, then using Mac OS X is one of the decent options. This method works only for copying the disc that is unprotected and does not support the DVD that has any type of encoded copy protection.
Steps on how to download a DVD to Mac using Mac OS X
Step 1: Into your Mac system, insert the DVD that you want to copy. The inserted disc can be seen mounted on the desktop of the system.
Step 2: Select Applications > Utilities to open the Disk Utility. On the left side, select the disc from the given list. There are two icons for the DVD- one for the drive and the other one for the disc itself. Choose the one that is indented as it is for the disc itself.
Step 3: Next, select the New Image option from the main window of Disk Utility.
Step 4: From Save As window, select the name of the file and also the destination on your system where you want to save the disc copy. Ensure that destination has enough space for copying all your disc content.
Step 5: Under Save As window select DVD/CD Master as the option at Image Format. The Encryption option is to be selected at none. Click on the Save button to confirm the settings.
Step 6: Once the disc is copied to your system at the desired destination, move back to the Disk Utility. The image of the new disc can be seen on the Disk Utility window on the left side. Remove the original DVD from your system.
Step 7: Next, insert a new blank and writable disc into your Mac. From the Disk Utility window, choose the image of the new disc. Hit on the Burn button and also choose the burn speed. There is also an option to select if you want to Verify Burned Data.
Step 8: After the DVD is burned successfully the system will show a confirmation message and you have a new copy of your DVD in hand. For further creating copies of the same disc, the Disk Image can be saved.
Shortcomings of the method:
- Complicated process and not apt for users looking for simple solutions.
- Does not support selecting the desired format of the video file.
- No option for editing and customizing the files before burning.
- Limited additional features associated with the burning process.
Part 3. How to Free Download DVD to Computer Windows 10 Using VLC
Looking for a free option on how to download a DVD to your computer running on Windows? VLC is a good choice. One of the widely used media players, VLC is capable of performing an array of other functions as well, including DVD downloading on your system. Generally, VLC media player is installed on your Windows and this eliminated the need of installing any other software for the task.
Steps on how to download movies from DVD to computer using VLC Media Player:
Step 1: Insert the DVD that you want to copy into the DVD drive of your Windows system.
Step 2: Launch VLC Media Player app on your PC and from the Media tab on the main interface, select Convert/Save option.
Step 3: A new pop-up Open Media window appears from where select the Disc tab. Under Disc Selection, choose DVD option and ensure that the Disc device field shows the DVD driver where your disc is inserted.
Step 4: The Starting Position section can be used if you want to rip only a particular title or chapter. Similarly, if you need to rip any particular audio or subtitle track, choose it from the Audio and Subtitles section.
Step 5: Select the No disc menus as the player at times may try to convert the looping video menu and get tripped. Finally, click on the Start button to start transferring DVD to computer free on Windows 10.
Shortcomings of the method:
- Does not offer control over the selection of the desired format.
- Does not provide an option to choose the quality of the ripped disc to save storage or for other purposes.
- Limited options for file editing.
- The process of ripping DVD is slow and at times might not be successful as well.
Considering the drawbacks of the free solutions, it can be ascertained that Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) is the best option to download DVD movie to computer. Using the software, your discs can be downloaded to your system easily and quickly with plenty of options to choose from like file format, quality, and others. Just free download and install the Wondershare program to enjoy your disc in high-quality on any device and in any format.