- 1. Play MKV on Device+
- 1.1 Top MKV Player
- 1.2 Play MKV on Mac
- 1.3 Play MKV on Apple TV
- 1.4 Play MKV on Samsung TV
- 1.5 Play MKV on Sony TV
- 1.6 Play MKV on LG TV
- 1.7 Play MKV on PS3
- 1.8 Play MKV on Xbox One
- 1.9 Play MKV on Xbox360
- 1.10 Play MKV to iPhone
- 1.11 Play MKV to iPad
- 1.12 Play MKV on iPod
- 1.13 Play MKV on Android Phone
- 1.14 Play MKV in VLC
- 1.15 Play MKV in Windows Media Player
- 1.16 MKV Playback Issues in VLC
- 2. Convert MKV to Other Format+
- 2.1 Convert MKV to MP4
- 2.2 Convert MKV to MP4 on Mac
- 2.3 Convert MKV to MP4 Online
- 2.4 Convert MKV to MP3
- 2.5 Convert MKV to Audio
- 2.6 Convert MKV to WMV
- 2.7 Convert MKV to M4V
- 2.8 Convert MKV to AVI
- 2.9 Convert MKV to AVI Online
- 2.10 Convert MKV to FLV
- 2.11 Convert MKV to DVD
- 2.12 Convert MKV to MOV
- 2.13 Convert MKV to iTunes
- 2.14 MKV to MOV Converter Online
- 2.15 Convert MKV to VOB
- 2.16 Convert MKV to DivX
- 2.17 Convert MKV to MPEG
- 2.18 Convert MKV to MPEG2
- 2.19 Convert MKV to MPEG4
- 2.20 Convert MKV to XviD
- 2.21 Convert MKV to 3GP
- 2.22 Convert MKV to M2TS
- 2.23 Convert MKV to AVCHD
- 2.24 Convert MKV to H264
- 2.25 Convert MKV to TS
- 2.26 Convert MKV to VCD
- 2.27 Convert MKV to AC3
- 2.28 Burn MKV to DVD
- 2.29 Burn MKV to Blu-ray
- 2.30 Convert MKV to SWF
- 3. Convert Other Format to MKV+
- 3.1 Convert MP4 to MKV
- 3.2 Convert MP4 to MKV on Mac
- 3.3 Convert MP4 to MKV Online
- 3.4 Convert M4V to MKV
- 3.5 Convert WMV to MKV
- 3.6 Convert MOV to MKV
- 3.7 Convert DVD to MKV
- 3.8 Convert M2TS to MKV
- 3.9 Convert AVI to MKV
- 3.10 Convert Bluray to MKV
- 3.11 Convert FLV to MKV
- 3.12 Convert AVCHD to MKV
- 3.13 Convert OGM to MKV
- 3.14 Convert MTS to MKV
- 3.15 Convert WTV to MKV
- 3.16 Convert VOB to MKV
- 3.17 Convert RMVB to MKV
- 3.18 YouTube to MKV
- 4. Edit MKV & Other Tips+
- 4.1 Extract Subtitles from MKV
- 4.2 Add Substitles to MKV
- 4.3 Add SRT to MKV
- 4.4 Compress MKV Video
- 4.5 Reduce MKV File Size
- 4.6 Cut MKV Files
- 4.7 Edit MKV Metadata
- 4.8 MKV No Sound
- 4.9 MKV Video Player for Android
- 4.10 MKV Converter for Mac
- 4.11 Free MKV Converter
- 4.12 MKV Player Mac
- 4.13 2D to 3D MKV Converter
- 4.14 Remux MKV
- 4.15 MKV Encoder
- 4.16 Convert MKV to FCP Mac
- 4.17 Stream MKV to TV with Chromecast
- 4.18 Import MKV to iMovie
- 4.19 Windows DVD Maker MKV
- 4.20 Convert MKV to MP4 with HandBrake Alternative
All-round Guide to Play MKV on Sony TV Easily
"Can Sony smart TV play MKV files? Can you play MKV on TV?"
Many people may have the problem about how to play MKV files on Sony TV as Sony Bravia TV only support MPEG format with USB connected. In that cases, if you want to play your MKV movies on Sony Bravia TV, you need to convert MKV to Sony TV supported formats like MPEG-1/MPEG-2/MPEG, and others. This article will tell you the best way to convert and play MKV on TV, including Sony TV, Samsung TV, Apple TV, etc.
About MKV: MKV (Matroska Video) is a free standard container video format, which has a capacity to hold a wide range of video, audio as well as subtitle tracks in one single file. Developed in 1992, this file format is similar to other container formats like AVI, MP4, and ASF when it comes to storing multimedia like video and audio. But what importantly makes it different from other files is that it is entirely open when it comes to the specification. This file format was a part of the first project created for an open media container which facilitates wrapping audio, video, and subtitles in a single file. It is an open source file format and can be stored as a movie or on DVD.
- Part 1. Step-by-step Guide on How to Convert MKV to Sony TV
- Part 2. How to Connect A USB Connector to your Sony TV
- Part 3. Troubleshooting to Situations about Playing MKV on Sony TV
MKV is a popular format these days that allows enjoying high-quality HD videos over an array of devices including TVs. If you have a Sony TV, you would surely want to enjoy your favorite videos on it. Though the official site of Sony TV claims that it support MKV format, many times when you play these files, you will encounter playback issues. MKV file may contain different audio codecs and whenever it contains a codec that is not compatible with Sony TV (like DTS Audio), the MKV file may encounter a problem while playing on Sony TV.
In situations when your MKV does not play on Sony TV, converting them to the compatible format is an ideal solution and for this Sony TV, a video converter is needed. One such professional and feature packed converter is Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate). This smart program allows converting MKV to the format that has all the codecs compatible with Sony TV. Format conversion using the software is simple, easy, and fast.
Wondershare UniConverter - Best Video Converter & Player for Windows/Mac
- Convert MKV to Sony TV supported formats easily and quickly without losing quality.
- Support 1000+ video formats including MP4, MKV, MOV, AVI, WMV, FLV, MPG, etc.
- Customize video output preset for devices like TV, phones, external devices, and others.
- Edit videos with trimming, cropping, adding watermark, editing subtitles, etc.
- Burn videos to DVD with customized background image/music and free menu templates.
- Download videos from YouTube and other 1000+ video sharing sites.
- All-in-one video toolbox: video compressor, screen recorder, GIF maker, cast to TV, etc.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Video Tutorial: How to Convert MKV Videos to Sony TV Compatible Formats
Step by step instructions to convert and play MKV to Sony TV:
Step 1 Launch Wondershare UniConverter and add MKV files need to play on Sony TV.
Download, install and launch Wondershare UniConverter on your PC/Mac. Next, add MKV files to the program. You can add files by dragging and dropping or by clicking the Add Files button. Multiple files can be added here.
Step 2 Select Sony TV compatible format as output.
On the right side panel, click the arrow below Convert all files to to open the drop-down menu. Select TV from the Device category and choose SONY TV. You can also choose Video > MPG as your output format for Sony TV.
Step 3 Convert MKV to Sony TV for Playback
Finally, click on the Convert All button to convert MKV videos to Sony Bravia TV. Once the conversion process is complete within minutes, move to the Converted tab and you can transfer the converted files to the USB drive, then enjoy playing it on your Sony TV.
Wondershare UniConverter allows casting video to TV directly, go to How to Cast MKV Videos to Sony TV Directly >> to learn more details.
One or even more than one USB port are available in Sony TV that allow transferring data between the storage device and your TV.
Once you have successfully converted MKV files to Sony TV-optimized format, transfer them to the USB drive. And then finally connect the drive to Sony TV and enjoy your favorite videos.
Listed below are the steps to connect a USB connector to your Sony TV:
Step 1 Power off your TV, and turn it in order to see the port with USB icon.
Step 2 Connect the USB drive to the port.
Step 3 Power on the USB device as well as the TV.
Step 4 Next, press the Menu button on the remote control. Different options will be displayed to you.
Step 5 Now press the left/right arrow keys, and navigate to the green triangular icon for Media.
Step 6 Press the up/down arrow key in order to go to the music/videos/or photos and then select what you want. Finally, press + to confirm.
Step 7 Press the arrow key to select the USB device and then press + key again.
Step 8 Press the arrow key to navigate to the file you want to play, and then press + to select.
With the above successful steps, your media will be played on Sony TV.
There are many issues which occur while Sony TV plays MKV. The issues can be related to different aspects, as MKV files contain video, audio, and subtitles in a single container file. Most of the issues can be solved through MKV to Sony TV compatibility conversion process, where the component which is incompatible to Sony TV can be converted an appropriate format. Below given are some issues and problems faced by people while they are trying to play MKV on Sony TV.
1. I have just bought a new Sony TV with model number- KDL-42W650A. I am unable to play MKV file through USB. While trying the TV gets hanged and then I have to restart the TV by powering off and on.
2. I have just recently bought a new Sony Bravia TV, the KDL37EX403U. All went well until I loaded a few MKV (720p AVC/H.264 encoded) files onto a USB drive and found that the TV didn't list them.
3. I have bought a brand new Sony Bravia KDL-32EX650 model. The problem is that it does not recognize the MKV video files. I am able to play AVI and MP4 formats, but not MKV videos.
If you are still meeting the above listed issues, you can try to resolve them by simply converting them to Sony TV compatible format and then have a try.
Can't play MKV on Sony TV? So whenever you get stuck in such situation, read above to get a solution to all your queries. And free download Wondershare UniConverter to help you play and convert videos easily.