TV Recording Tips
- 1. DVR for TV Recording+
- 1.1 Best Ways to Record OTA TV Shows with Digital DVR Recorder in 2020
- 1.2 How to Choose the Best Digital Video Recorders for TV in 2020
- 1.3 4 Ways You Shoud Know for TV Recording in 2020
- 1.4 Top 6 DVR Recorders for TV in 2020
- 1.5 5 Methods to Record TV Shows without DVR in 2020
- 1.6 The Alternative to HD TV Recorder for TV Shows Recording in 2020
- 1.7 Top 5 PVR Recorder for Live TV Shows in 2020
- 1.8 All Ways to Record TV Shows on Fire TV Stick in 2020
- 1.9 All Things to Know About TV Shows Recording on Philo TV in 2020
- 1.10 Easy Ways to Record Programs on Roku in 2020
- 1.11 Best TV Recording Box: the 9 Best Ways to Enjoy TV Shows
- 1.12 What are the Best TV Recording Devices in 2020
- 1.13 The Most Efficient Steps to Record TV Videos in 2020
- 1.14 How to Record TV Programs On An External Hard Drive in 2020
- 1.15 How to Record TV Shows on DVD Recorder Easily in 2020
- 1.16 Best Ways to Record TV Shows on Youtube TV in 2020
- 1.17 How to Record Shows from Samsung Smart TV via USB by Simple Steps in 2020
- 1.18 Deserved to Have Top 12 Freeview TV Recorders in 2020
- 1.19 How to Use Tablo TV Kill Time During Self-Quarantine Period in 2020
- 1.20 How to Edit TV Shows Recorded from Xfinity in 2020
- 2. Record Cable TV+
- 3. Record Live TV+
- 3.1 6 Popular HD TV Recorders in 2020
- 3.2 Top 5 Live TV Recorders on PC in 2020
- 3.3 How to Record OTA TV Shows in 2020
- 3.4 How to Record Online TV Shows Easily for 2020
- 3.5 How to Record A Show on 3 Main Live TV Streaming Services in 2020
- 3.6 Easy Steps to Record Live TV Shows in 2020
- 3.7 How to Record Shows from Streaming Services in 2020
- 3.8 Simple Methods to Record TV Shows on OTA Streaming Devices in 2020
- 4. Record Screen+
- 5. Other Tips for TV Recording+
How to Record TV Programs on An External Hard Drive in 2020
You can use an external HDD as a TV hard drive recorder as long as you can access a smart TV with a USB port to connect the devices. Even though USB flash drives of 8GB to 264GB can also be used for the purpose, their limited storage space might be a hassle sometimes. Apart from this, in some cases, the television may refuse to recognize the connected flash drive due to compatibility issues. Therefore, you are encouraged to use a USB hard drive for TV recording for the flawless capturing experience.
- Part 1. What Is Necessary
- Part 2. How to Record on External Hard Drive
- Part 3. How to Record TV Programs on PC
As mentioned earlier, if you have a television with a USB port and have access to an external hard drive for recording smart TV, you are all set to go. However, to capture the movies or TV shows without any trouble, there are few things you must consider while you are on a hunt to grab all the required ingredients. Points that you should keep in mind include:
● Hard Disk Type
Although you can use any external HDD as long as it can be connected to a USB port, using the 2.5” variant is highly encouraged as it is considered the best hard drive for recording TV. This is because it doesn’t require any additional power supply. This is not the case when you use a 3.5” HDD.
● Data Security
As you begin recording TV shows or movies on an external hard drive, the existing data may erase. This is not always the case, but some television models prompt you to format the disk before proceeding.
● Unrecognized USB Drive
As discussed above, some TV models fail to recognize some USB flash drives. If you have any such drive that the television has already refused to accept, you might consider using an HDD instead.
● Additional Power Source
If you are using a 3.5” hard disk drive, make sure that you have an additional power outlet somewhere near the TV to connect the HDD. In the case of 2.5” HDD, sometime it may require an additional power source too. In such a scenario, you might need an additional USB port for more power, as inducing AC to this small drive could permanently damage its hardware.
Once you have gathered all the essential ingredients listed above, you can go through the following method to use an external hard drive for TV recording:
Step 1: Connect the Hardware
Ensure that your television is connected to the cable or set-top box to receive OTA programs, and connect the external hard drive for recording on a smart TV.
Step 2: Prepare for Recording
Scan the TV for available channels, save the ones you found, and tune in to that you want to record the show or movie.
Step 3: Record the TV
Press the Rec (or Record) button on the television’s remote control, select Proceed when the TV prompts to scan the connected drive for compatibility and performance and wait while the scanning completes the process and begins to record TV shows the hard drive.
If your PC has a TV tuner card, the best hard drive for TV recording would be the internal one, as it won’t have any power supply or connectivity issues. Furthermore, once the recorded video is saved on your PC as digital data, it can be manipulated according to your needs with the help of efficient software.
When talking about software applications and their efficiencies, one program that stands out among all its competitors is Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate). Available for Windows and Mac platforms, Wondershare UniConverter is not only equipped with post-production tools like video editor, video compressor, universal converter, etc., it also has a built-in screen recorder that allows you to capture anything that happens or appears on the computer monitor. With this function, you can easily record your favorite shows and movies that you watch on your PC with a TV tuner card.
Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate)(Catalina Included)
- Record all activities on the PC easily.
- High-quality video to GIF conversion at super fast speed.
- Allow choosing frame rate and output size when converting video to GIF.
- Support 1000+ video output formats with zero quality loss.
- Customize videos by powerful editing tools.
- Save 4K/HD videos from 10,000 video streaming sites.
- All-in-one toolbox: Video Compressor, GIF Maker, Fix Video Metadata, Screen Recorder, and more.
The method of capturing TV on your computer with Wondershare UniConverter is given below:
Step 1 Initialize Wondershare Screen Recorder
After downloading and installing Wondershare UniConverter on your Mac or Windows computer, launch the program, click Screen Recorder.
Step 2 Configure Recorder Settings and Expand the Panel
Select Full Screen from the Capture Area drop-down list, select the internal sound card from the System Audio drop-down list, and make sure to keep the Microphone disabled to eliminate the risk of recording any external, unwanted noises and disturbances. Now, expand the panel to reveal other configuration options by clicking the Settings (gear) icon present at the bottom-right corner.
Step 3 Configure General Options for Fine Recording
From the General section, choose your preferred destination location using the Save to the field, select a frame rate from the Frame rate drop-down list (60 fps is picked here for demonstration), and choose your preferred video quality from the Quality drop-down list (High is selected here for demonstration). Optionally, you can also use the checkboxes from under the Record Timer section to schedule the recording in the future or set the record duration if you want to capture the shows/movies for a specific length of time. Once all is set up, you can click the REC button from the upper-right area to begin the recording. To stop, press the Ctrl + F6 on your keyboard, and then go to the destination folder you defined earlier to access the recorded video.
Although using a TV hard drive recorder by connecting it directly to the television might sound a quick and straightforward solution to capture shows and movies, the restrictions this approach comes with won’t give you enough room for video editing and manipulations. On the other hand, a program like Wondershare UniConverter gives you full control over recording and amending the clips to best suit your needs.