If you are interested in music editing and production, you must have heard of WAV codec at least once or twice. While it is not universally as popular as the MP3 format, WAV has a container format that accepts non-compressed big files. It also supports compressed files, keeps sound effect originality intact, and has a larger quantity. While editing videos and music, professionals work with this format closely.
However, while many known editing software support MP3-based editing, finding the best WAV cutter can be difficult. If you are looking for a high-quality tool that is useful for cutting and editing WAV files, here is a list of the top choices with reliable capabilities. Learn their best benefits and uses and how to utilize them for editing work.
Criteria: Our standard for choosing the Best WAV cutter
Before jumping into the list, let's understand how to make the selection first. Knowing what the best WAV cutter does is important if you are a total newcomer to sound editing or WAV format. As a more experienced editor, you must be aware of the basics already, but let's revise.
- Functionality-A WAV container is useful for keeping first-gen high-quality archived files. So, this type is useful for audio and video editing work for retaining bigger files and ensuring lossless conversions. Plus, these formats are easier to handle for audio editing without the hassle of data compression and decompression. When choosing a WAV trimmer, you should check if that has WAV compatibility for editing primarily.
- Features- The best WAV trimming apps or tools also support compression and CD-burning features. Select one that allows easy audio file editing.
- Use Case-The main use for WAV files is for audio editing in videos and music production. So, typically, those who need editing software for such work in the entertainment and marketing industries find this most useful since WAV containers support bigger files best. Choose an editor that offers high-level editing functions.
- Type of Users-Professional-level users with more technical knowledge can best use the WAV trimmer You can still select one that assures a smooth and user-friendly interface, especially if you are new to handling PCM codecs and WAV.
- Meta Data Editing-Since WAV files are RIFF derivations, it is possible to add metadata tags within the INFO-centric section. So, it would help if you considered editing software types that support metadata editing and ID3 recognition.
- Cost- Some software types assure WAV trimming functions at no cost. However, paid apps offer the most intensive feature list and are better choices for more advanced editing work. Make your selection based on the amount of editing you want to handle.
- Platform Compatibility- WAV or Waveform Audio File is a type of file format standard that Microsoft and IBM have created. It is used for audio bitstream storing while using PCs. Typically, it is supported on Windows. So, while choosing the best WAV cutting software to use, check for its OS compatibility. Those with cross-platform compatibility are good choices as well.
The Best WAV cutters
Let us find the best software to help you cut WAV files. Here are the best programs available for that currently- read ahead to make your final choice.
The best WAV cutter online.
Audiotrimmer is a simple WAV cutting online tool that professional-level and even new editors can use for editing ringtones and short clips. It requires no registration or downloading process- users can access the app through the web and begin editing tracks.
For creating short ringtones out of even bigger files of 100 MB maximum size, this is a capable tool with M4R support.
- Easily access through different devices like mobile devices with no installation needed.
- The software stores the files in one temporary folder for two hours after editing for users to download in case of loss.
- It supports many audio formats like WAV, MP3, M4R, WMA, OPUS, 3GPP, AAC, M4A, AIFF, etc.
- Add fade in/fade out effects.
Main USP: Users who want a simple editor to cut WAV audio files into short ringtones or use mobile devices can work with this.
How to Use?
Step 1: Click on the "Choose Files" button > Select your WAV audio file from your local device folder.
Step 2: It will start automatically playing if the browser allows it. Or, press the Upload button.
Step 3: Drag the trim a section > Select the Crop button.
Step 4: Press Download to complete.
The best WAV cutter free.
Audacity is open-source software that professional music professionals can use to record live using their hardware/microphone. One can add a digital track and edit that as well, assuring conversions during dithering/resampling with multiple high-quality formats and sample rates.
You can also add plugins for extra functions and trim songs, with multiple redos/undos for correction.
- Spectrogram viewing is available for simple frequency selection and visualization.
- Export files in other formats after mixing/editing/trimming.
- It supports batch processing.
- Set keyboard shortcuts for track selection and cutting.
- Main USP: Audacity is a cross-platform open-source software for music mixing with pre-set files or newly recorded audio; professional composers can work with it easily.
How to Use?
Step 1: Press Choose File. Add the WAV file from your device. Alternatively, insert via Google Drive, URL, or Dropbox.
Step 2: Select the duration/start position in hh:mm:ss format.
Step 3: Hit the Submit button. It will start automatically.
Step 4: It is saved in Output Results. Save to Dropbox/Google Drive/QR code.
The best WAV cutter desktop.
3. NCH Aconvert (for Windows)
NCH Aconvert is another simplistic and capable online tool for cutting audio files easily across any platform. You can choose the starting and ending point of the trimming and save the final file to your cloud account.
This online platform does allow WAV-based editing and requires no complex decoding/encoding steps during the conversions.
- Automatic file cutting without manual conversion, encoding, or decoding steps first.
- You can set starting and ending points.
- Supports cloud account syncing via Dropbox and Google Drive.
- Add files upto 200 MB in size.
Main USP: This online tool is good for users who want a simple audio editor that automatically converts/trims files without encoding/decoding necessary.
How to Use?
Step 1: Download the software and open it on the PC.
Step 2: Click on File > Open. Or, press the Ctrl and O keys on the keyboard. Choose the file and insert it.
Step 3: At the top, click on the Selection Tool > View > Zoom > Zoom in. Adjust the starting and ending points by dragging your cursor.
Step 4: Click on Edit > Remove Special > Trim Audio.
Step 5: Click on File and choose Export. Press Export Audio as WAV and Save.
4. Wondershare UniConverter (for Mac)
For Mac users and even those operating Windows devices, Wondershare UniConverter is a top-notch software for music editing. Besides using it for video editing, users can compress audio files, trim tracks, and remove background noise.
It supports various audio formats, including WAV with associated PCM codec. Here, users can do advanced-level editing work, burn CDs into different formats, and multiple mode functions.
- Supports a wide range of video and audio formats, including options like WMA, WAV, MP3, M4A, etc., for input/output.
- Supports AI integration with CD burning functions.
- Edit metadata of compressed/non-compressed files easily.
- Trim audio files, add multiple tracks, adjust speed, and other functions.
Main USP: Professional music/video editors who want simple yet high-grade software with advanced conversion and editing solutions, like compression, CD burning, audio trimming, etc., can use this.
How to Use?
Download and open the software after launching.
On the main page, click on Editor > Trim.
In the editor, use the slider to set the section of the trimming. Customize multiple cut sections into one merged file. Press OK.
Click on Output format > Audio > WAV > Lossless Quality- Auto.
Click on the Save button.
Wondershare UniConverter — All-in-one Video Toolbox for Windows and Mac.
Edit videos on Mac by trimming, cropping, adding effects, and subtitles.
Converter videos to any format at 90X faster speed.
Compress your video or audio files without quality loss.
Excellent smart trimmer for cutting and splitting videos automatically.
Nice AI-enabled subtitle editor for adding subtitles to your tutorial videos automatically.
Download any online video for teaching from more than 10,000 platforms and sites.
Recommended solutions for choosing your best WAV cutter
Certainly, there are multiple types of top-notch solutions available that allow users to cut WAV files. If you are looking for a simple online tool to create shorter clips like ringtones from WAV files, AudioTrimmer is useful. Audacity and Aconvert are other simple options for quick and simple WAV file trimming and saving.
However, for more customized editing and advanced functions, UniConverter is the best option available. It is supported on both Mac and Windows devices, and you can easily enter WAV files for editing without quality loss. If needed, you can use other tools on this software to compress the file or other advanced functions after saving the trimmed file.
Compared to other files, this software does offer paid plans for premium-level uses. However, users can still experience a high-level editing quality experience with the free version, guaranteeing a smooth user experience overall.
Indeed, it is not extremely difficult to cut WAV files if you use the right type of tool for the work. Understand the main requirement for you in converting and trimming WAV files. Also, check the benefits each option will give you. Then, make your final decision.