Video Converter Alternatives
- 1. Video Converter Alternatives+
- 1.1 AVS Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.2 AnyMP4 Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.3 VideoSolo Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.4 VSDC Free Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.5 Apowersoft Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.6 VideoProc Alternatives
- 1.7 Xilisoft Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.8 DivX Converter Alternatives Alternatives
- 1.9 Any Video Converter Alternatives Alternatives
- 1.10 iDealshare VideoGo Alternatives Alternatives
- 1.11 Bigasoft Total Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.12 MacX Video Converter Pro Alternatives
- 1.13 Pazera Free MP4 to AVI converter Alternatives
- 1.14 OJOsoft Total Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.15 Imtoo Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.16 Cisdem Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.17 4Videosoft Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.18 WonderFox HD Video Converter Factory Pro Alternatives
- 1.19 Tipard Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.20 Easefab Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.21 Leawo Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.22 Avdshare Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.23 Aiseesoft Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.24 Pavtube Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.25 Winavi Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.26 Prism Video Converter Alternatives
- 1.27 Total Video Converter Alternatives
- 2. Audio Converter Alternatives+
- 3. DVD Converter Alternatives+
Best 6 Alternatives to MakeMKV for Mac/Windows/Linux
For converting your DVD and Blu-ray discs into a digital format, MakeMKV is one of the popularly used tools. Available for Windows, Mac, and Linux, the software can digitalize your disc content into MKV format. More about the tool, its limitations, and the best alternatives are discussed in the following parts.
- Part 1. Why Need Alternatives to MakeMKV
- Part 2. Best MakeMKV Alternatives to Convert Video for Mac/Windows
- Part 3. 4 Common Alternatives to MakeMKV on Mac/Windows
- Part 4. A Reliable Alternative to MakeMKV on Linux
Part 1. Why Need Alternatives to MakeMKV
MakeMKV beta assists in converting the videos on your DVD and Blu-ray discs into the MKV format. Additionally, the software can also stream the decrypted videos to an array of players without any need for immediate conversion. The software can also read the discs protected with the latest AACS and BD+ versions, and it preserves the chapter information as well as meta information during the conversion.
A lot of users look for MakeMKV alternative owing to several limitations and drawbacks associated with the software. We have listed some of the major ones below.
- The software converts discs only to MKV format.
- There is no preview window to check if you are converting the right file.
- MKV files are large and thus not suitable for Android and iPhone playback.
- No option for file editing.
- It takes a long time to copy DVDs.
- DVD audio cannot be ripped using the software.
Part 2. Best MakeMKV Alternatives to Convert Video for Mac/Windows
Considering the limitations of MakeMKV software, if you are looking for a program that allows converting DVDs to an array of formats at a fast speed and with editing and other additional features, Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Converter Ultimate) is the best alternative. This Windows and Mac-based software is a powerful video toolbox with supports to a wide range of functions. Using the software, you can digitalize your DVD content in high quality. You can convert your disc in almost all popular formats, including MP4, MOV, MKV, M4V, and many others. The software also gives you the option to convert your DVD into ISO files.
The built-in editor of the software facilitates video customization with features like trimming, cropping, cutting, adding effects, and others. Additional software features include video conversion to over 1000 formats, video download, video transfer, and others.
Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Converter Ultimate)
Your Complete Video Toolbox
- Convert videos to 1000 formats at 90X faster speed.
- Capable of editing the file and transferring from one device to another at a fast pace
- Convert Videos for Many Devices, including Apple devices, Android devices, VR, game consoles, etc.
- High output quality
- Burn and customize your DVD with free DVD menu templates
Steps to convert DVD to video formats using Wondershare UniConverter
Step 1 Launch Wondershare and load DVD videos:
Insert the DVD that you want to convert into your system. Install and run the software on your system. On the Converter tab from the main interface, expand the drop-down menu at the +Load DVD icon and choose the title of the inserted disc from the available options.
A dialog box will open, asking you to add Main Movie or All Movies. Choose the option and click on the OK button.
Step 2 Select the target format:
The videos from the DVD will be added to the software interface. Editing can be done using the icons under the added thumbnail image. Expand the drop-down menu at the Setting tab. Choose the desired video format and the resolution from the Video tab.
Step 3 Convert DVD to videos:
At the File Location tab, select the system location to save the converted files. Hit on the Convert button to start the process. The Finished tab can be used to check and manage the converted files on the interface.
Steps to convert DVD to ISO files using Wondershare UniConverter
Step 1Run the software and add videos:
Insert the DVD into your system and run the Wondershare UniConverter software. Select the DVD Burner tab from the primary interface and click on the +Load DVD icon and select the Load DVD Folder option that will add the disc files to the software interface.
Step 2 Select DVD template:
From the right-side panel, select the DVD template as required. You can check the available design by clicking on the left and the right arrows.
Step 3 Select DVD settings:
Enter the name of the disc at the DVD label tab. Also select Menu Type, Aspect Ratio, TV Standard, and Quality from their respective drop-down menu.
Step 4Convert DVD to ISO files
At the top-right corner, open drop-down list at Burn video to tab and select ISO File option. Finally, click on the Burn button to start burning the DVD videos to an ISO file.
By default, the ISO file will be saved at "F:\Wondershare UniConverter\Burned" at your system. To change this location, open Menu > Preferences and then from the pop-up window, select the Location tab, and then choose the desired path at Save DVD Folder/ISO files to tab. Click on the OK to confirm the settings.
Part 3. 4 Common Alternatives to MakeMKV on Mac/Windows
Several other programs for converting DVDs to an array of digital formats are available that works as an alternative to MakeMKV. Some of the commonly used programs are enlisted below.
1. Leawo Video Converter Ultimate
This is a Windows-based tool that supports a host of video-related features, including DVD to video conversion, burn video to DVD and Blu-ray, video download from online sites, video conversion, creating photo slideshows, and others. Using the tool, videos, as well as DVDs, can be converted to more than 100 formats in high quality. DVD conversion to preset devices and editing software programs is also supported, including Windows Movie Maker, iPhone, iPad, Android, Galaxy S4, and others. Video editing using the built-in software is also supported.
2. Freemake Video Converter
This freeware tool allows converting DVD videos to MP4, AVI, and MKV format in high quality. The interface is simple, and the conversion process is fast with high-quality digital files that can be played on an array of devices. Using the program, you simply need to load the videos from your DVD to the software and select the target format. The software can work on Windows 7,8,10 OS. Additionally, the software also supports converting the local videos to an array of other formats.
3. Any Video Converter
To play your DVD videos on regular devices, phones, and other players, Any Video Converter works as a decent tool as it helps in converting the DVD content into an array of digital formats. Using the software, you can convert your disc in more than 200 formats, including the popular ones like MP4, AVI, MOV, WMA, MP3, and others. The conversion is quick, and the process is simple, which makes the program apt even for the users without a technical background. Additional features of the software include video download from over 100 sites, efficient video coding, video editing, and support to NVIDIA NVENC transcoding acceleration.
4. WinX DVD Ripper
This is free software for Windows and Mac devices that assists in digitizing your DVDs for backup, editing, archiving, and other requirements. Using the program, the DVD, as well as ISO files, can be converted to an array of formats, including MP4, MPEG, MP3, FLV, MOV, and many others. With support to over 350+ profiles, your disc content can be viewed over a range of devices and players. The software supports 4 DVD copy modes to meet your DVD backup requirements, and its title check mechanism supports old as well as new DVDs. WinX DVD Ripper can also be used to backup your disc content to a hard drive, USB, NSA, and Plex.
Part 4. A Reliable Alternative to MakeMKV on Linux
If you are looking for a Linux alternative to the MakeMKV DVD tool, HandBrake works as a reliable solution. This is a free and open-source program that comes with multi-platform support, including Linux. With the software, files on DVD as well as Blu-ray sources can be converted to MP4 and MKV format. Almost all commonly used multimedia files that do not have copy protection can be processed using Handbrake. A host of other features are also supported, which includes title and chapter range selection, chapter markers, batch scanning, subtitles, support to VFR and CFR, video filtering, and others.
The process of DVD to digital conversion is simple and quick, where you need to load the content, select the format, and then process it to save to your desired location on the system.