- TRY FREE TRY FREE
- 1. Video Editor +
- 2. Audio Editor+
- DVD Users
- Social Media Users
- Camera Users
- Creative Design
- Movie Users
- Travelling Fans
- Educational Users
- More Solutions
Top 9 MKV Editors Online and Offline in 2021
by Christine Smith • 2022-03-09 11:37:45 • Proven solutions
“What is the best MKV editor? I am looking to edit MKV files, but the tools I have come across have caused some issues and offer slow rendering speed. Is there any MKV video editor that is also free and compatible across all platforms?”
The MKV format is open-source and pretty compatible across multiple devices and operating systems. In terms of editing, you can edit MKV files using any tool. Here, we will share which of those video editors you should pick and how to manage the videos.
- Part 1. Top Choice for Simple MKV Editing and Converting on Windows/Mac
- Part 2. 5 MKV Video Editors Free for Mac and Windows
- Part 3. 4 Online MKV Video Trimmer/Cutter/Editor Free
- Part 4. More about MKV Editing and Converting
Wondershare UniConverter is a top choice that can edit can convert MKV files on Windows and macOS systems. The software offers 30 times faster than the average video editor. Moreover, it enables you to convert the MKV video to any of the 1000+ formats that work best with the available device. Furthermore, you can transfer the video to your portable device using the UniConverter.
A few features of Wondershare UniConverter are listed as follows:
Support adding subtitle from local and Internet, changing font, font color, font size, and more other settings
Edit, enhance & personalize your video files, like trim/crop video, add watermarks, apply video effects, etc.
Convert videos over 1000 formats, including MP4, AVI, WMV, FLV, MKV, MOV and more
Burn and customize your video to DVD with free DVD menu templates
Download or record videos from 10,000+ video sharing sites
All-in-one toolbox includes GIF maker, video compressor, screen recorder, fixing video metadata
The how-to guide to editing and converting MKV files using the UniConverter are as follows:
Step 1 Upload the MKV File to the UniConverter
Download and install the software before launching it on your respective platform. Click on the Video Editor panel and select any editing utility. Lastly, upload the file and head to the next step.
Step 2 Edit the Imported MKV Video
Click on the Crop tab and resize the video. Manage the Aspect Ratio and Area Size before hitting the OK button.
Step 3 Finish Editing MKV File
Click on the Settings tab and select the Video tab. Pick the new output format for the MKV file.
Once you have completed the editing and converting, click Save to finalize the settings and initiate video processing.
It is handy to have access to more than one solution to an issue. The same fact applies to MKV video editing. It doesn’t hurt to look for alternatives. It is why we have arranged for this section in the article. We will be discussing the 5 other MKV editors that are free and available on Windows and macOS.
Shotcut offers a powerful framework for Windows, macOS, and Linux users to edit MKV files quickly. There is an extensive variety of useful and advanced editing tools, including effects, filters, and codec adjustment. Besides, it supports all the top-level formats.
- Shotcut MKV editor supports videos in 4K resolution.
- The customer support is efficient.
- The interface is a bit challenging to manage.
OpenShot MKV editor is another free-to-use and user-friendly tool that works on all desktop platforms. It is simple to use and offers a great list of features. Moreover, it supports every known file format and does not require the PC to possess high specifications.
- It is multi-lingual.
- You can export the video project in 4K 60fps.
- The rendering speed is a bit on the slower side.
If you wish to edit MKV files without re-encoding them, there is no handy choice other than the Bandicut video cutter. The tool is simple and completely free.
- It is easy to use.
- It does not support macOS.
EaseUS is a reliable MKV video editor with a smooth interface and all the pro features to make the video more presentable. Moreover, it offers as many as 5 different editing modes that allow you to select the best aspect ratio for your video.
- It provided a good range of effects.
- It is not free.
- The tool has a few footage options.
It is an all-purpose MKV video editor that offers the necessary features such as applying watermarks, crop, video joiner, rotation, and more. It is simple to use and supports multiple languages. Moreover, it ensures maintaining the overall video quality during the editing process.
- The interface is simple.
- It works on all versions of Windows released in the past 20 years.
- Its pro version is on the expensive side.
Suppose your MKV file size is small, and you do not wish to install any editing software on your system. In that case, you can resort to an online video editor that supports MKV. Luckily, we have information on the top 4 online editors stated in this section of the article.
It is a high-quality video editor for MKV files that works on every browser without causing any lagging issue. The platform supports every media format available and prevents any quality loss.
- It is completely secure.
- Trimming and cropping the video is incredibly easy.
- It only allows uploading video files up to 500MB.
VideoCutter online MKV editing tool has a comprehensive variety of tools that you can use to cut, compress, and even convert video files. It works best with all browsers and offers fast processing speed.
- It supports HTML5 technology.
- The tool is completely safe.
- Editing is restricted for videos past a specific limit.
Online MKV file editing is effortless when you are using Video2Edit. You can edit and convert the videos both at the same time, which saves time. Moreover, you can directly upload the media file from the internet from cloud storage services such as Google Drive and Dropbox
- The tool offers extensions and add-on for Chrome and Firefox browsers.
- The tool is straightforward to use.
- The platform needs to support more video file formats.
We have saved the best one for last! The Online UniConverter is very much like a full desktop-level editing tool. However, there is no requirement from you to install any software. The service is safe and highly reliable. Moreover, it is entirely free!
- It carries every known editing feature at its disposal.
- The platform ensures privacy security.
- It covers all the popular file formats.
- It does not support 4K resolution.
Follow this section to gather a bit more useful information on editing, converting, and cutting MKV files.
1. How do I import an MKV file into Premiere Pro?
Adobe Premiere Pro does not support the MKV format or code. The best solution around it is converting the MKV file to a format that is compatible with Premiere Pro. For that, you can use Wondershare UniConverter and convert the file to file types such as MPEG-2 at a 30 times fast rendering rate.
2. How do I Convert an MKV File to MP4?
You can convert the MKV file to MP4 with the help of a video converter. In this case, the UniConverter is the most reliable choice. The steps are as follows:
- Open the software and click on the +/Add button to upload the MKV video.
- Click on the Settings cog and press the Video tab.
- Select MP4 and hit the Create button.
- Click on Convert and let the tool complete the conversion.
- That’s it!