- 1. Convert MPEG to Other Formats +
- 2. Convert Other Formats to MPEG +
- 3. Tips for Converting MPEG Files +
- DVD Users
- Social Media Users
- Camera Users
- Creative Design
- Movie Users
- Travelling Fans
- Educational Users
- More Solutions
Best 11 MPEG Players to Play MPEG/MPG Files Easily
by Christine Smith • 2022-08-22 11:03:11 • Proven solutions
MPG is among the most widely used formats owing to its high level of compression that reduces their size and thus makes them easy to share and store on an array of devices. There are several free and commercial players that support playing MPEG files, and for your reference, we have shortlisted the popular MPEG player in the following parts.
- Part 1. What Is an MPG File
- Part 2. Best MPEG Players for Windows 10/8/7 and Mac
- Part 3. 5 Other MPEG / MPG File Player for Windows and Mac
- Part 4. 5 Useful MPEG Player for Android and iPhone Devices
MPG is a lossy compression container format that is standardized by MPEG (Moving Pictures Expert Group). The format can store video, audio, and metadata information and is known for its compression. Majorly, the MPG files incorporate MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 compression and are compatible with the majority of the devices and the players.
Wondershare UniConverter is an excellent software that comes with a high-quality built-in player and supports an array of functions like video conversion, compression, DVD burning, and more. So, you can use this program to play your MPEG files as well as convert them to other formats and devices when needed. With batch processing, multiple files can be converted, and there is also a built-in editor that lets you customize the videos by changing their parameters, cropping, cutting, adding effects, and more. The software is compatible with Windows 10/8/7 and Mac systems.
It has a high-quality built-in player with support to all popular formats.
Video conversion to over 1000 formats supported in lossless quality.
Batch conversion is supported at a fast speed.
Built-in editor with support to features like trimming, cropping, cutting, adding effects, and more
Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, macOS 11 Big Sur, 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7.
Steps to play and convert MPEG files using Wondershare UniConverter:
Step 1 Launch Wondershare UniConverter and add MPEG files.
Download, install, and open the Wondershare UniConverter software on your system and choose the Video Converter tab from the left-side panel. Click on the icon or the + sign to browse and load the MPEG files. You can also drag and drop the files to the interface.
Step 2 Play MPEG files.
The added files will appear on the interface with a thumbnail image and other details. Click on the play icon on the thumbnail image, and a pop-up window will open, launching and playing the video in the built-in player. You can adjust the volume, rewind, or forward the video using the player.
Step 3 Choose the target format for conversion.
If you need to convert the added files, the target format and the desired quality can be selected from the Output Format tab at the bottom-left corner.
Step 4 Convert MPEG files.
Choose the desktop folder to save the converted files from the File Location tab. Tap on the Start All button to finally start the conversion of the added files. Check the Finished tab for the processed files.
A host of other players for Windows and Mac systems are available that allow playing MPEG and MPG files. For your convenience, below listed are the widely used players.
This is among the list of widely used players that supports playback of all major formats including MPEG along with DVDs and Blu-ray with menu support and movie titles. The player is also capable of playing 4K UHD files with support to PC and TV playback modes. Additionally, you can also manage and organize the local media library, create a custom playlist, and other functions.
- The free version of the player supports playback of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 files, along with a few others.
- An array of additional features supported are supported by this MPEG video player.
- Support for PC and TV playback modes.
- The free version support only limited features.
- It takes time to understand the features of the player.
This is a powerful media player that supports playback of all popular formats, Blu-ray folder, Blu-ray disc, DVD folder, and disc. The player also supports playing 1080BD and 4K videos with support to an array of audio formats in lossless sound quality.
- Quick start.
- Option to customize the playing effects.
- Option for taking the snapshot.
- Heavy on computer resources.
- No option for upscaling.
- Pricey player.
VLC cannot be missed when it comes to popular media players. This is a free and open-source player that has cross-platform support for playback of media files in all popular formats, DVDs, VCDs, and Audio CDs. The files from the streaming protocols can also be played using the player. You can even customize, add skins, and install extensions using the player.
- Free to use an open-source player.
- Compatible with all platforms, including Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and more.
- No need for the codecs pack as the majority of the codecs supported.
- The interface cannot be customized.
- Files have to be opened from their folders directly for playback.
- No option to use tags.
4. 5K Player
Compatible with Windows and Mac, this is a popular media player that supports playback of MPEG and all other regularly used formats. The player supports multiple settings options, and the response time is also very fast.
- Support to all popular formats.
- It supports 4k, 1080p, and 360-degree video playback.
- It might be confusing for first-time users.
- Not compatible with mobile devices.
5. KM Player
For playback of MPEG and other popular formats like AVI, FLV, WMV, TS, and more in high quality, this is a good player to consider. The player support playback of videos in 4K, 8K, and UHD quality and also features an upgraded music player.
- Support to all popular formats.
- Free to use software that is light on resources.
- Lack of music management functions.
- The beginners might find multiple customization options confusing.
- Third-party links and ads keep coming up.
For playing MPEG files on your Android smartphone and iPhone, we have picked up the 5 player apps as below.
The VLC media player app is available both for Android and iPhone. The Android and iPhone MPEG player apps support playing media files in almost all formats, including MPEG, AVI, MP4, WMV, and more. Additionally, the player also supports network streams and DVD ISOs. Like its desktop version, the Android and iOS player app also supports an array of additional features like filters, equalizers, a database of the media files, and more.
- Support for Android and iOS devices.
- Play all key formats, including the exotic ones.
- Support network streaming.
- The interface is not very clean.
- Locating videos take a long time.
The player app allows playing videos in all formats without encoding on Android and iOS devices. Videos in Full HD, 4K, and UHD can seamlessly play using the player, and there is also an option for importing media on an external network. For playing YouTube videos, you simply need to paster the URL to the player app. Additional features include the link with Google Drive, subtitle settings, controlling playback speed, and more.
- Play videos in all major formats without any need for encoding.
- Support A-B repeat function.
- Option to zoom-in or zoom-out video.
- The options for music management are limited.
3. Larix Player
Earlier known as SLDP Player, Larix is a decent player app for Android devices that allows the playback of several protocols, including SRT, SLDP, Icecast HTTP, and more. MP3 and AAC are the supported audio codecs, and there is an option to keep the playback history as a URL of the played list.
- Quick streaming.
- Support an array of media.
- Confusing for first-time users.
4. FX Player
This is a popularly used HD video player for Android devices supporting a host of formats like WebM, MPEG, MOV, MKV, MP4, ASF, FLV, RM, and more. Almost all key video and audio codecs are supported by the player for seamless playback of 4k, 8k, HD, Full HD, as well as DVD and Blu-ray files. Additional features include mirror mode, Chromecast support, gesture control, and more.
- Support for all popular formats and codecs.
- Use gesture control for playing and other functions.
- Allows creating and managing the video list.
- Slow playing videos.
- It comes with ads.
This is another MPEG player for Android and iOS-devices that is free to use and supports playback in an array of formats like MOV, MP4, 3GP, ASF, MXF, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, MTS, PS, and many more. Subtitles in all popular formats are also supported by the player with support to several other additional features like 4K Ultra HD support, direct streaming, repeat ad shuffle and more.
- Support for a wide range of formats.
- Simple to learn and use.
- No storage limits.
- It supports gesture control.
- It comes with annoying ads.
- Networking support is not very good.
So now you know several tools and apps that can be used on your Windows, Mac, Android, and iOS devices for playback of MPEG files. If you are looking for a complete video-toolbox, Wondershare UniConverter works as the best choice with support to several useful functions in addition to the built-in player.