- 1. FLV Video Tool+
- 1.1 FLV Splitter
- 1.2 FLV Player
- 1.3 Free FLV Player
- 1.4 Free FLV Player for Mac
- 1.5 Online FLV Converter
- 1.6 FLV Converter for Win10
- 1.7 Free FLV to MP3 Converter
- 1.8 Free FLV to WAV Converter
- 1.9 Free FLV to 3GP Converter
- 1.10 FLV to WMV Converter
- 1.11 FLV to WebM Converter
- 1.12 FLV to AVI Converter Online
- 1.13 MP4 to FLV Converter Online
- 1.14 AVI to FLV Converter
- 1.15 WMV to FLV Converter
- 2. Convert FLV to Other Format+
- 2.1 Convert FLV to MP4
- 2.2 Convert FLV to MP4 Free
- 2.3 Convert FLV to MP4 Mac
- 2.4 Convert FLV to MOV
- 2.5 Convert FLV to MOV Online
- 2.6 Convert FLV to AVI
- 2.7 Convert FLV to MKV
- 2.8 Convert FLV to M4V
- 2.9 Convert FLV to MP3
- 2.10 Convert FLV to 3GP
- 2.11 Convert FLV to DivX
- 2.12 Convert FLV to VOB
- 2.13 Convert FLV to SWF
- 2.14 Convert FLV to DV
- 2.15 Convert FLV to iPad
- 2.16 Convert FLV to iTunes
- 3. Convert Other Format to FLV+
- 4. Play & Edit FLV Tips+
- 4.1 Play FLV in VLC
- 4.2 Play FLV on TV
- 4.3 Stream FLV to TV with Google Chromecast
- 4.4 Play FLV on Xbox One
- 4.5 Play FLV in PS4/PS3
- 4.6 Play FLV in Windows Media Player
- 4.7 Play FLV in Galaxy s6
- 4.8 Compress FLV Videos
- 4.9 Edit FLV in Windows Movie maker
- 4.10 Edit FLV in Adobe Premiere
- 4.11 Edit FLV in Final Cut Pro
- 4.12 Edit FLV in Sony Vegas Pro
- 4.13 Edit FLV in Sony Movie Studio
- 4.14 Edti FLV in iMovie for Editing
- 4.15 Upload FLV to YouTube
- 4.16 Insert FLV to Powerpoint
"I'm a Windows user. I recently downloaded an instructional video from YouTube that was in .flv format. When I tried to play it on Windows Media Player, it prompted that the video file has an .flv extension that is not recognized. Windows Media Player then asked me if I still want to play the file and when I clicked yes, an error message popped up saying file type or codec may not be recognized by the player. Can WMP play FLV files? How can I play FLV on Windows Media Player?"
The FLV format was designed to share video clips over the Internet. This popular video format is the standard for major video sharing platforms such as YouTube, Metacafe, Vevo and more, so if you download a video from the internet, it is likely it is in the .FLV format. In spite of its growing popularity, however, FLV is not supported by most mobile devices and, even if you want to play FLV video on your PC, you would still have to search online for suitable codecs and properly install them. In this article, we'll share 3 useful solutions to help you open and play FLV files on Windows Media Player.
Method 1. Install an .FLV Codec
Window Media Player uses codecs to play media files. A codec is a computer program capable of encoding or decoding a digital data stream or signal. While codecs of many formats are inbuilt in WMP, the codec of FLV (Flash Video) needs to be downloaded and installed by the user to play files. The process of installing a codec is relatively simple and can also be applied to add or install other codecs to WMP as well. After successfully installing the codec, you will be able to smoothly run files with .flv extension on WMP.
Installing .flv codecs however, may not be for everyone and this method does not come without its drawbacks. If you don't know where to look, suitable codecs may be hard to find and if you're not computer savvy (like most of us are), you might end up installing malware and trojans that'll put sensitive data on your PC at risk.
Method 2. Convert FLV files to Windows Media Player-supported Format
The ideal solution to this problem is to convert FLV files to more popular video formats like AVI, WMV, MKV, etc. To complete the conversion from FLV to a Windows Media Player format, you will need a powerful and professional program like Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate), which helps you convert video formats quickly and with high quality.
Your Complete Video Toolbox
- Convert FLV to 1000+ formats, like AVI, MKV, MOV, MP4, etc.
- Convert to optimized preset for almost all of the devices.
- 30X faster conversion speed than any conventional converters.
- Edit, enhance & personalize your videos file.
- Download/record videos from 10000+ video sharing sites.
- Versatile toolbox combines fix video metadata, GIF maker, cast video to TV, VR converter and screen recorder.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.14 (Mojave), 10.13, 10.12, 10.11 (El Capitan), 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
With this all-purpose converter, simply select the format you want from the extensive list of supported options and your files will be ready in seconds. You can convert FLV to 1000+ output file formats for Apple handhelds, Zune, Apple TV, Android, PSP, PS4, Blackberry, Xbox one and many more.
How to Convert FLV to WMV with 3 Simple Steps
This guide will show you how to quickly and easily convert .flv files to .wmv using Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate). First, open the program. If you don't already have it, you can download it here (via the download button above).
Step 1 Import FLV files
Directly drag and drop FLV file that you want to play in WMP from your device or videos folder to the main interface, or click to add your desired FLV video.
Step 2 Choose WMV as output format
Click to to expand output format list, then choose Video > WMV > select resolution in the right.
Note: Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) also contains presets optimized for conversion but feel free to manually customize your conversion output details.
Step 3 Convert FLV to WMV
When you are ready start converting FLV to WMV, click Convert All on the bottom right to proceed.
Method 3. Play FLV Videos with VLC
Another alternative way to play FLV files on Windows Media Player is to use the VideoLAN program, also known as VLC. The VLC media player comes pre-installed with a ton of audio and video codecs. This option serves as an alternative to use the WMP which needs to be manually upgraded and tweaked in order to play FLV and other file types.