- TRY FREE TRY FREE
- 1. Convert DAT to Other Formats+
- 2. DAT Converter+
How to convert DAT file to MP4 Using VLC
Many file types are supported and viewed by many applications on the Internet. DAT and MP4 are among those file types that many of us are aware of. Sometimes DAT files become a problem for you if you don’t have an application that can run them. If you want to convert the DAT file, but you don’t know how to convert the DAT file to MP4 using VLC, this article can help you. This article has described easy step-by-step guidelines to convert DAT to MP4 with VLC and another powerful tool that you can use anytime you want. So instead of panicking or wasting your time, let’s follow the article and learn how to do it.
- Part 1. What is the DAT format
- Part 2. Can VLC play the DAT file
- Part 3. How to convert DAT video to MP4 by VLC
- Part 4. Top 5 converters to convert the DAT file to MP4
- Part 5. The best alternative to VLC to convert the DAT file to MP4
AniSmall for iOS
in one click without losing quality.
Part 1. What is the DAT format
DAT file is an application-created data file. It contains .dat file extensions, and the data inside is usually text or binary, but in rare cases, it can have video or audio data. A lot of programmers create, open, and reference DAT files. They are designed only to be used by the application and not to be opened manually by the user. Many games, such as Minecraft, use DAT files to store levels that are loaded on the fly as a player navigates the entire level. No specific programmer is responsible for creating or using any DAT file. Various applications in their respective programmers use them as references to certain operations. Since most DAT files are kept away from view on an application's data folders, if you save a video file like this or have a malformed e-mail attachment with the extension, you will most likely view DAT files.
Part 2. Can VLC play the DAT file
VLC (VideoLan Client) is free software for video streaming, which is developed by students of the Ecole Centrale Paris. It can be used as a server to stream MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 files, DVDs, and live videos on the network in unicast or multicast, or used as a client to receive, decode and display MPEG streams under multiple operating systems. . VLC works on many platforms including Linux, Windows, Mac OS X, BeOS, *BSD, Solaris, Familiar Linux, and QNX. It can read MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 / DivX files, DVDs, and VCDs, from a satellite card (DVB-S), MPEG-1, MPEG-2, and MPEG-4 streams from the network sent by VLS or VLC's stream output.
Technically speaking, VLC should be able to play the DAT file as it can handle MPEG-1 and MPEG-2. However, being supported is one thing, and being able to play the file is another. DAT container format is not included in the VLC-supported format list, which means VLC may not be able to recognize the DAT file format and play it. There can be several other reasons for VLC not playing the DAT file.
Part 3. How to convert DAT video to MP4 by VLC
MP4 is a multimedia container usually used to store video or audio, but it can also store other data such as subtitles and still images. VLC can be used to convert your DAT video into MP4. It can be very useful if you wish to stream the video you’ve made on your Android or iPhone, including other portable devices like iPods.
Steps of Converting DAT File to MP4 Using VLC
The following are the steps for converting DAT files into MP4 using VLC software. Let’s jump right into it, shall we?
Step 1: Media Menu
Install and run VLC software on your PC. Go to the Media bar and click the “Convert/Save” option.
Step 2: Select the Videos
Add one or more video files from your library to convert using the “Add” button. Then click “Convert/Save” to move to the next steps.
Step 3: Select the Name and Format for the File
In the Target file box, select the destination folder and the name of the new video file. Select the target format from the list of formats under Profile. Since VLC is capable of converting to any different format, you'll see it all. Select the desired format (MP4). If you want videos for a specific device, there are also many optimized profiles with the optimal resolution, framerate, and codec, settings.
Step 4 (Optional): Advanced Settings
Select the advanced setting for your video conversion, if you like. Using the menu with the tools icon, you can change the settings for the destination format to adjust it.
Here, you can choose the supported video codecs and audio codecs for your output file and access all advanced options such as bit rate, resolution, frame rate, and audio quality.
You can also change or optimize video or audio formats during the conversion process with special filters. For example, you can rotate 90 ° recorded videos or add a watermark or logo.
Step 5: Convert your Video
Once you have selected and saved all the settings for your video, click on “Start” to let your conversion begin. VLC will start the conversion into the desired format. The time taken in the conversion usually depends on the video's length and format.
Part 4. Top 5 converters to convert the DAT file to MP4
1.Any Video Converter
- A powerful video converter that supports a wide range of formats, including dat to mp4 conversion.
- Features: Batch conversion, custom output settings, video editing, fast conversion speed, and support for a wide range of devices and formats.
- Link: https://www.any-video-converter.com/products/for_video_free/
- A free and open-source video converter with a user-friendly interface.
- Features: Batch conversion, support for various video formats, including dat to mp4 conversion, video filters, and basic editing options.
- Link: https://handbrake.fr/
3.Freemake Video Converter
- A popular video converter that supports a wide range of formats, including dat to mp4 conversion.
- Features: Batch conversion, support for various video formats and devices, basic editing tools, and the ability to upload converted videos directly to YouTube.
- Link: https://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
- A multifunctional media converter that supports various video and audio formats, including dat to mp4 conversion.
- Features: Batch conversion, support for various devices, basic video editing options, and the ability to rip DVDs and CDs.
- Link: http://www.pcfreetime.com/formatfactory/index.php?language=en
- A web-based conversion tool that supports various file formats, including dat to mp4 conversion.
- Features: Simple and easy-to-use interface, support for various devices and formats, and the ability to adjust video settings before conversion.
- Link: https://www.online-convert.com/
Part 5. The best alternative to VLC to convert the DAT file to MP4
Sometimes you may face problems in VLC during the conversion, or VLC may not be able to fulfill your desired demands. It’s nothing to worry about, as we have the best alternative for VLC, which works better and quicker.
Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) is one of the best platforms for file conversions. It helps you convert videos for any device. Whether you have an Apple device, Android device, Sony PSP, or other consoles, it is suitable for everyone. Wondershare Converter is much more than just conversion software. It’s a reliable solution that lets you convert video and audio formats and combines other essential features such as editing, downloading, compression and sharing. Whether you have a single file to convert or a thousand, it’s a non-stop solution for your video conversion. It supports an impressive number of video file formats, including the latest 4K-capable codecs like H. 265 and earlier HD and legacy codec formats.
Wondershare UniConverter for Mac/Windows
- Photo/Video Conversion: UniConverter can convert any photo/video into almost all the formats such as DV, ASF, MPEG, VOB, etc.
- Audio Extraction: You can conveniently use this software to extract audio from any desired video.
- Subtitling: It has a feature to insert subtitles in your videos or audio easily.
- Watermarking: Marking your files is easier through UniConverter. It allows you to insert a file or a picture as a watermark.
- Creating GIFS: One of the fun features of this software is creating gifs out of any picture or video, allowing you to set your desired time.
- Audio/ Video/ Screen recording: It also records videos, audio, and screen without loss of their quality.
- Merging: By using Wondershare UniConverter, you also get the benefit of merging two or more videos.
- Effect: You can add effects to your video/ image as well. It can also allow you to adjust the brightness, saturation, and contrast of your video/ image.
- Burn videos: Bur your precious videos into high-quality Blu-ray discs or DVDs.
Wondershare UniConverter can do way more than just conversion. There are several more features in this software we may have failed to mention, don’t forget to discover them. It’s worth your time!
The following are the steps to convert the DAT file into MP4 using Wondershare UniConverter software. If you follow the given steps, your file will be converted in no time.
Step 1 Import DAT videos to this DAT video converter.
Open the Wondershare DAT video converter on your PC/Mac, and go to the Converter section. Click the Add Files button to add your DAT files for conversion. Drag and drop the DAT files to the video converter can also import videos.
Step 2 Choose an output format like MP4.
Open this app's output format list by hitting the drop-down icon of Output Format. And then select any one of the video formats or optimized pre-setting you want.
If necessary, you can also set the customized video format with special parameters like Resolution, Bit Rate, Frame Rate, and more. To do these, just hit the Format Settings icon to open its setting window, select the settings as you wish, and then click Create to save them.
Step 3 Start DAT video conversion.
After you have selected all the desired settings, press Start All to start the conversion.
And wait for your file to covert. It’s that simple!
A VLC Converter is a free software used for the conversion of any file into almost all formats. However, it can be replaced by better software called Wondershare UniConverter. They both allow us to convert files into other formats like MPG, TRP, DVD, and MP4. They are easy to install and quick to respond to. A DAT file can easily be converted into MP4 by following a few easy steps. In this article, 2 software is introduced to convert DAT files to MP4, VLC, and Wondershare UniConverter, but we didn't really have a chance to compare them, did we?
VLC and Wondershare have different qualities, but going back to the article, Wondershare UniConverter is a simple but advanced software package. It is bounded for conversion and many more features, such as editing and merging videos, fixing Media Meta-Data, and transferring files to a hard drive or device. Other than its features, this software is easier to install and faster to use. It is absolutely convenient for any user and easily understandable. Choosing the wrong software to convert your files (or even to perform any other tasks) can be very complicated. You can wisely choose UniConverter as it’s a simple and convenient platform.