- 1. Burn Video/Audio on Mac+
- 1.1 Convert AVI to MP4 on Mac
- 1.2 Convert AVCHD on Mac
- 1.3 Convert Audio on Mac
- 1.4 MP3 to WAV Converter Mac
- 1.5 WAV to MP3 Converter Mac
- 1.6 svg converter
- 1.7 music converter
- 1.8 dmg file
- 1.9 webp
- 1.10 online wpd converter
- 1.11 wtv to mp4
- 1.12 readme md
- 1.13 online svg converter
- 1.14 ai to svg
- 1.15 music converter
- 1.16 md file
- 1.17 wpd file
- 1.18 djvu file
- 1.19 sf2 file
- 1.20 oga file
- 1.21 arj file
- 1.22 free svg converter
- 1.23 md5 converter
- 1.24 convert dmg to iso
- 1.25 dpi converter
- 1.26 Toast Titanium Alternative for Mac
- 1.27 Copy a CD on Mac
- 1.28 Best GIF Maker for Mac
- 1.29 PPT to Video on Mac
- 1.30 iPad Video Converter Mac
- 1.31 Top 6 Media Converter Mac
- 1.32 Top 8 File Converters for Mac
- 1.33 10 Free Video Converter for Mac
- 2. Recording Tips on Mac+
- 3. Edit Photos and Videos on Mac+
- 3.1 Photo Viewer for Mac
- 3.2 Crop a Picture on Mac
- 3.3 Top 10 Image Editor for Mac
- 3.4 How to Screenshot on Mac
- 3.5 Use Snipping Tool on Mac
- 3.6 Convert HEIC to JPG on Mac
- 3.7 Best Drawing Software for Mac
- 3.8 Best Photo Organizer for Mac
- 3.9 How to Resize Photos on Mac
- 3.10 Best Photo Editors for Mac
- 3.11 Convert PNG to JPG
- 3.12 TIFF to JPEG Mac
- 3.13 Convert Picture to SVG
- 3.14 How to Edit MP4 on Mac
- 3.15 Video Editing Software for Mac
- 3.16 4 Best MP3 Trimmer for Mac
- 4. Other Tips & Trick+
- 4.1 An Intel Mac VS ARM
- 4.2 Fix Mac Running Slow Problem
- 4.3 How to Run Windows on Mac
- 4.4 Top 15 Mac Apps in 2020
- 4.5 Everything about macOS 11 Big Sur
- 4.6 How to Transfer Data between Macs
- 4.7 How to Use Mac Magic
- 4.8 Clear Space on Your Mac
- 4.9 15 Things for New Mac Owner
- 4.10 Best Games for Mac in 2020
- 4.11 Best 12 Alternatives to CleanMyMac
- 4.12 How to Make a Collage on Mac
- 4.13 Best Free Voice Changer for Mac
- 4.14 Posting on Instagram from Mac
- 4.15 10 Easy Way Do Split-Screen on Mac
- 4.16 How to Turn Off iMesages
- 4.17 How to Airplay Video to Mac
- 5. Tips for Playing Videos+
- DVD Users
- Social Media Users
- Camera Users
- Creative Design
- Movie Users
- Travelling Fans
- Educational Users
- More Solutions
How to Clear Space on Your Mac in Easy Steps
To improve the performance of your Mac system, clearing up space is one of the best solutions. When there is more space on your drive, the apps and the program will run properly and fast. So, if you too are looking for the ways to clear space on your Mac you are reading on the right page.
- Part 1. How to Find out How much storage is available on your Mac
- Part 2. Top 10 Ways to Clear Space on Mac
First, you need to know how much storage space is available on your Mac, and accordingly, you can add or delete the apps and other programs. To know the available space, select the Apple menu > About This Mac and then tap on the Storage option. Several segments show the estimated storage that is used by different categories of files. To know more details about these segments, move the pointer over the desired one. To launch the Storage Management window, click on the Manage button (present in the Mac OS Sierra and later OS versions). The management window will let you optimize the storage.
To clear the space on the Mac system we have shortlisted the top 10 effective ways as enlisted below:
1. Clearing the system storage:
Scrapping the old files to clear the system storage is one of the top ways to clear Mac space. The process may sound technical and difficult but is quick and simple and the steps for the same are as below:
- In the Download section of your Mac, look for the large-sized ZIP and RAR files.
- Sort the apps by their size and then remove the ones which are not needed and large.
- Delete all the screenshots on your desktop.
- Remove the system junk files.
- To free up the RAM, restart your system.
2. Remove temporary files:
There are a lot of temporary files on your Mac system which are no longer needed and occupy the disk space. Though automatic removal of some of these temporary files are done by Mac, for better cleaning, professional tools can be used. Removing these files will create additional disk space on the Mac.
To find the temporary files on your Mac, use the below steps:
- Launch the Finder on your Mac and then select Go > Go to Folder on the menu.
- Use ~/Library/Caches to see the cache folder and here you can further find a folder that has a huge number of other folders that you can check and delete.
3. Deleting the big sized attachments with the main in Mac:
If you have been using the built-in mail application on your Mac then large sized mail attachments would be another reason to occupy a large portion of your storage space. Thus, deleting these attachments would clear a lot of space on your Mac and the steps for the same are as below:
- Open your mail app on your Mac and then open the folder from which you want to remove the attachments from.
- Sort the size of the mail to find the large attachments.
- Next, select Message & Remove Attachments option from the menu.
- The same process is to be repeated for all the messages.
Alternatively, you can also change the mail settings for not downloading the attachments automatically.
4. Remove localization files:
Also known as language packs, localization files removal will also create extra space on your Mac. There are many multilingual apps on your Mac that comes in the languages which are not needed and removing them makes sense. Steps for the same are as below:
- Launch the Finder window and go to Applications.
- Ctrl + click on any application and then select Show Package Contents option.
- Next, go to Contents > Resources and then search for the files that have. lproj in the end. This shows the languages in which the app is available. Drag and move the ones not needed to the Trash.
5. Getting rid of the old iOS backups:
There are high chances that you have old iOS backup on your Mac that takes up a lot of storage space. Deleting these backup files will clear up a lot of space. Just ensure to delete the old files which are not needed anymore. Follow the steps below to remove the backup.
- Launch the Finder window on our Mac and then select the Go from the menu bar.
- Choose Go to Folder and type in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/. Get rid of all the old iOS backup files.
6. Managing photo library:
When it comes to photos, you will find that there is a huge number of them that are not required but occupies a lot of storage space. Several times, there are many pictures on your device that are duplicate or taken mistakenly. So, managing the photo library and getting rid of the unwanted ones will clear a lot of storage space.
You also need to remove the files that are created by the system and in the Photos, it is the Photo cache that includes the Faces cache, app-related caches, and iCloud local copies. To get them sorted, below are the steps:
- Launch the Finder and go toe Photos library that is generally present in the Pictures folder.
- Ctrl + click on the Photos library and then choose Show Package Contents.
- Next, open resources and then modelsource.
Now the folders can be checked including the Photos cache one and the not needed ones can be deleted.
7. Desktop cleaning:
This is another effective way to clear space on your Mac systems. If you have a lot of junk files, screenshots, and others not needed icons on your desktop, the Mac will waste a lot of time loading them. Thus, deleting all this will surely add to some extra space on your system.
8. Management of the optimized storage:
You can manage your optimized storage and the option is available in the Mac OS versions starting from Sierra. Steps for the same are as below:
- Go to Apple menu > About this Mac > Storage.
- Click on the Manage button that will show the storage optimization options.
9. Cleaning and sorting downloads, music, and movies:
Files like download, music, and movies are among the major space-occupying items and if you observe these files closely you will find that a lot of them are actually not needed. Organizing and managing your download and multimedia files will create a lot of additional space on your Mac.
Many times, there are movies that you may not need regularly but you don’t want to delete them as well. For these types of files, compression and archiving is the best solution. If you will closely check your music folder you will find a lot of duplicate and unnecessary files that need to be removed.
10. Removing the iPhone backup:
If you have taken the backup of your iPhone or iPad using iTunes on your Mac there might be large-sized files sitting on your system taking up a lot of space. Check for these backup files and folders and delete the ones which are no longer needed.
You can check for these files by using: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup & then remove the old folders.
Using the above-mentioned ways will surely help you clear the space on your Mac that will improve the performance and pave way for storing additional needed and important data.