- 1. Play MKV on Device+
- 1.1 Top MKV Player
- 1.2 Play MKV on Mac
- 1.3 Play MKV on Apple TV
- 1.4 Play MKV on Samsung TV
- 1.5 Play MKV on Sony TV
- 1.6 Play MKV on LG TV
- 1.7 Play MKV on PS3
- 1.8 Play MKV on Xbox One
- 1.9 Play MKV on Xbox360
- 1.10 Play MKV to iPhone
- 1.11 Play MKV to iPad
- 1.12 Play MKV on iPod
- 1.13 Play MKV on Android Phone
- 1.14 Play MKV in VLC
- 1.15 Play MKV in Windows Media Player
- 1.16 MKV Playback Issues in VLC
- 2. Convert MKV to Other Format+
- 2.1 Convert MKV to MP4
- 2.2 Convert MKV to MP4 on Mac
- 2.3 Convert MKV to MP4 Online
- 2.4 Convert MKV to MP3
- 2.5 Convert MKV to Audio
- 2.6 Convert MKV to WMV
- 2.7 Convert MKV to M4V
- 2.8 Convert MKV to AVI
- 2.9 Convert MKV to AVI Online
- 2.10 Convert MKV to FLV
- 2.11 Convert MKV to DVD
- 2.12 Convert MKV to MOV
- 2.13 Convert MKV to iTunes
- 2.14 MKV to MOV Converter Online
- 2.15 Convert MKV to VOB
- 2.16 Convert MKV to DivX
- 2.17 Convert MKV to MPEG
- 2.18 Convert MKV to MPEG2
- 2.19 Convert MKV to MPEG4
- 2.20 Convert MKV to XviD
- 2.21 Convert MKV to 3GP
- 2.22 Convert MKV to M2TS
- 2.23 Convert MKV to AVCHD
- 2.24 Convert MKV to H264
- 2.25 Convert MKV to TS
- 2.26 Convert MKV to VCD
- 2.27 Convert MKV to AC3
- 2.28 Burn MKV to DVD
- 2.29 Burn MKV to Blu-ray
- 2.30 Convert MKV to SWF
- 2.31 Convert MKV to MP4 with Subtitle
- 2.32 Convert MKV to WAV
- 2.33 Convert MKV to MPG
- 2.34 Convert MKV to ISO
- 3. Convert Other Format to MKV+
- 3.1 Convert MP4 to MKV
- 3.2 Convert MP4 to MKV on Mac
- 3.3 Convert MP4 to MKV Online
- 3.4 Convert M4V to MKV
- 3.5 Convert WMV to MKV
- 3.6 Convert MOV to MKV
- 3.7 Convert DVD to MKV
- 3.8 Convert M2TS to MKV
- 3.9 Convert AVI to MKV
- 3.10 Convert Bluray to MKV
- 3.11 Convert FLV to MKV
- 3.12 Convert AVCHD to MKV
- 3.13 Convert OGM to MKV
- 3.14 Convert MTS to MKV
- 3.15 Convert WTV to MKV
- 3.16 Convert VOB to MKV
- 3.17 Convert RMVB to MKV
- 3.18 YouTube to MKV
- 3.19 Convert WebM to MKV
- 4. Edit MKV & Other Tips+
- 4.1 Extract Subtitles from MKV
- 4.2 Add Substitles to MKV
- 4.3 Add SRT to MKV
- 4.4 Compress MKV Video
- 4.5 Reduce MKV File Size
- 4.6 Cut MKV Files
- 4.7 Edit MKV Metadata
- 4.8 MKV No Sound
- 4.9 MKV Video Player for Android
- 4.10 MKV Converter for Mac
- 4.11 Free MKV Converter
- 4.12 MKV Player Mac
- 4.13 2D to 3D MKV Converter
- 4.14 Remux MKV
- 4.15 MKV Encoder
- 4.16 Convert MKV to FCP Mac
- 4.17 Stream MKV to TV with Chromecast
- 4.18 Import MKV to iMovie
- 4.19 Windows DVD Maker MKV
- 4.20 Convert MKV to MP4 with HandBrake Alternative
An Excellent Way to Convert MKV Videos to H.264
Although H.264 doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue, it’s so compatible that you’d consider converting MKV to H.264. Because a lot of players don’t play MKV file, while H.264 is such a format that your YouTube channel can better process and your Apple devices can better play.
H.264 is also known as MPEG-4 part 10. It is created to supersede MPEG-2 so that it could maintain video quality but keep the bitrate down, making it better for portable devices. In some cases, that bitrate is 50% less than other formats. But more than that, it can even be used for streaming videos and Blu-Ray movies. Because of the power of H.264 to deliver great video quality as well as low bitrates, it is becoming much more popular, even getting embedded in Adobe Flash, the most commonly used streaming video provider.
That lower bitrate also means that the video files are also smaller, so you don’t have to have huge hard drives to store your files. But, to process the files, you need to have good, reliable video accelerators and graphics cards. Those older machines still in use can’t really handle the H.264 truth.
MKV videos, on the other hand, are made in a format that is open source, but there are not that many players that can handle the playback. The video and audio work together smoothly and that open source base means that anyone can work with it and create a video. But, as we said before, it doesn’t play on a lot of common players, so converting it is quite common and necessary.
So now that you know more about what H.264 video format is, let’s learn more about how you can convert your MKV videos into it. The Wondershare UniConverter (Originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate) can handle H.264, along with about 149 other file formats. When it comes down to it, there are a lot of converters out there that can do some things, but Wondershare is the only one that can do it all–allowing you to convert file formats and also add bonus features like special effects, subtitles, and sharpening. And, it’s free to download and try!
Wondershare UniConverter - Best MKV Converter for Windows/Mac
- Best MKV converter to convert MKV files to 1000+ formats on Windows/Mac.
- Convert MKV files to optimized preset for almost all of the devices.
- 30X faster conversion speed than any conventional converters.
- Edit MKV videos with trimming, cutting, merging, adding subtitles, and more others.
- Burn and customize MKV files to DVD with free DVD menu templates.
- Download or record videos from 10,000+ video sharing sites like YouTube.
- Versatile toolbox combines fix video metadata, GIF maker, cast video to TV, video compressor and screen recorder.
- Industry-leading APEXTRANS technology converts videos with zero quality loss.
- Supported OS: Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS 10.15 (Catalina), 10.14, 10.13, 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6.
Step 1 Load the MKV files into UniConverter.
Start the program once you have it downloaded and then just import your file or files. You can either click the +Add Files button at the top left or in the center of the page, or directly drag and drop files into the center of the screen.
Step 2 Choose output as H.264.
Select the format you want to convert MKV to from the drop down menu of the Convert all files to on the right hand side if you want to change the output format. Click the Pencil Icon to choose H.264 encoder.
Step 3 Convert MKV to H.264.
Click to choose the Convert All button on the right bottom corner of the software to start converting MKV to H.264. It might take a bit of time if your file size is large, or if you have an older or slower computer. You can find the output file in the Converted section.
Once finished, you can do some additional edits like cropping, merging files together, or add special effects to customize the converted H.264 video.
Note: You can easily tell from the screenshot of Step 1 that MPEG-4 is very close to H.264, it actually comes up as a sub-category. Namely, MP4 is your best option if you are converting files for use on an Apple device–video drop down as your main video container, and then narrow it to H.264 as your choice for video encoder under Settings.
Part 3. Tips on H.264 Encoder
The H.264 Encoder allows you to directly make a professional quality movie in H.264. It is a fairly small program to download, and it is pretty easy to use, so anyone can download it and start using the program right away.
It can take a number of existing formats like DivX, XviD, and MPEG-2 and turn them into several output formats, including H.264. Keep in mind that you will have both files on your computer, so ensure that you have enough space on your hard drive to complete the encoding.
Once you have all of your settings chosen, click Encode at the bottom and the program will complete your file. But, as you can see, it’s a lot easier to have a single program that can do it all for you, like the Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate).